What exactly is a master CD

tomyco

• Members

I have a music library that is interested in one of my songs and they are requesting the master CD. Are they looking for the original CD that was recorded onto the CD? Are they looking for the CD with the breakdown of each instrument where they will be able to remix? Thanks!

I have a music library that is interested in one of my songs and they are requesting the master CD. Are they looking for the original CD that was recorded onto the CD? Are they looking for the CD with the breakdown of each instrument where they will be able to remix? Thanks!

Unless they've asked for the multitrack masters, they're not looking for the "breakdown of each instrument" or looking to remix anything.

What they are requesting is the mixdown master, and they apparently want it on CD format. That would be a first generation copy of the final mixed version of the song, in the highest resolution available. Personally, I don't mix to audio CD's anymore and haven't for years, and the reason is, audio CD's are limited to 16 bits, and modern DAW software records at 24 bits - so if you give them an audio CD, they're not getting the highest resolution master they could get. And you always want to start with the highest resolution available.

A DATA CD is another matter. You can burn a data CD with 24 bit files on it, so if the song was recorded with 24 bits (for all I know, you may have used a 16 bit setting on your DAW, in which case the CD you already have may already be the highest resolution version available) you'll want to send them that.

But let's back up a minute and get on to the same page. Who did the original recording and mix of the song in question? Did you record and mix it yourself? If so, what DAW software were you using, and what program did you use to burn the CD? Do you still have the original multitrack recording / DAW files?

Archived