No announcement yet.

What exactly is a master CD

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is a master CD

I have a music library that is interested in one of my songs and they are requesting the master CD. Are they looking for the original CD that was recorded onto the CD? Are they looking for the CD with the breakdown of each instrument where they will be able to remix? Thanks!

I would guess they want the 'Gold Master', the one from which all copies are replicated.
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Originally posted by tomyco View Post
      I have a music library that is interested in one of my songs and they are requesting the master CD. Are they looking for the original CD that was recorded onto the CD? Are they looking for the CD with the breakdown of each instrument where they will be able to remix? Thanks!
      Unless they've asked for the multitrack masters, they're not looking for the "breakdown of each instrument" or looking to remix anything.

What they are requesting is the mixdown master, and they apparently want it on CD format. That would be a first generation copy of the final mixed version of the song, in the highest resolution available. Personally, I don't mix to audio CD's anymore and haven't for years, and the reason is, audio CD's are limited to 16 bits, and modern DAW software records at 24 bits - so if you give them an audio CD, they're not getting the highest resolution master they could get. And you always want to start with the highest resolution available.

A DATA CD is another matter. You can burn a data CD with 24 bit files on it, so if the song was recorded with 24 bits (for all I know, you may have used a 16 bit setting on your DAW, in which case the CD you already have may already be the highest resolution version available) you'll want to send them that.

But let's back up a minute and get on to the same page. Who did the original recording and mix of the song in question? Did you record and mix it yourself? If so, what DAW software were you using, and what program did you use to burn the CD? Do you still have the original multitrack recording / DAW files?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
      X