What is legal to be mentioned in a song?

KevinTJH

• Members

I'm in the process of professionally recording a pop punk song in reminiscence of the early 2000s, hence, the song is titled "Bring Back 2005". The lyrics basically comprise of things that my generation and I miss the most while growing up.

-Bands (My Chemical Romance, Simple Plan, Blink-182 etc..)

-TV Shows (Invader Zim, Avatar, Pokemon etc...)

-MSN, Myspace

Am I allowed to mention these things in a song? I'm in no way defaming any of these things, just simply mentioning them in passing.

Assuming my music hobby takes off and I start making money from my music, what type of trouble would I get into?

Thanks in advance!

• Members
I'm in the process of professional recording a pop punk song in reminiscence of the early 2000s, hence, the song is titled "Bring Back 2005". The lyrics basically comprise of things that my generation and I miss the most while growing up.

-Bands (My Chemical Romance, Simple Plan, Blink-182 etc..)

-TV Shows (Invader Zim, Avatar, Pokemon etc...)

-MSN, Myspace

Am I allowed to mention these things in a song? I'm in no way defaming any of these things, just simply mentioning them in passing.

Assuming my music hobby takes off and I start making money from my music, what type of trouble would I get into?

Thanks in advance!

I can't see why you would have any problem with that.

• Members

If there was a legal issue, we wouldn't have news networks. In a free society we have a thing called freedom of speech. If you lived in Cuba or China and mentioned one of their Dictators in a negative way that might be a different story.

• Members

Should be fine -- check out Bowling for Soup's song "1985" which treaded similar waters (but about a date 20 years earlier... man, that makes me feel old). No legal problems I'm aware of with the name-dropping in that song.

Archived