Finding management and/or agent

Stevenbristol

• Members

I'm being ask by a record company to sign distribution and licensing contracts. I'd like to have a manager and/or agent representation before I sign. I have no idea where to find either. Can you give me some direction figuring out how to get a manager/agent/lawyer/etc? What else do I need to protect myself? Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Check with your state bar association for Entertainment lawyers. This is your best bet to have contracts reviewed...it will cost you some serious money, though, so be prepared. Plus a good Ent. attorney will know reputable agents and management people they can refer you to.

Agents and managers can be hit or miss, but a lot depends on where you are. If you are in a major city, finding an agent is easy...smaller towns, not so much. Always ask them who they represent and for how long, and then ask to speak to their clients who are in a similar situation with you to see how these people performed for them.

But remember, an agent/manager who has no experience with labels, and who doesn't have an entertainment lawyer on retainer, is not going to do you any good.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

You don't need a manager or agent. In fact, that's the LAST thing you need right now, since they will negotiate a fat advance and take 20% off the top. You need a lawyer: Not the one who did your Dad's house closing or got your uncle off on that DWI charge. A music business lawyer who will charge you by the hour, not take a percentage, and save you from a lot of grief down the road.

Archived