Working at Guitar Center questions

paulsitive

• Members

what's up everybody, I was offered the position at Guitar Center today. Seems like a cool job but I'm in my 30s now and the pay is incredibly low. On top of that I was informed that everyone must start out part time. My question is basically, is the commission anything worth mentioning? The whole explanation of it is quite confusing. I will not be able to afford life if the commission isn't very worthy. Also what are the chancesof moving up quickly? Any info is appreciated.

• Moderators

What position and what kind of offer? Is it minimum wage plus commission? Base + draw against commission? What % commission?

"Is the commission anything worth mentioning?"

I have no idea....but the turnover rate at most of my local GC stores appears extremely high...I go in about once a month and, aside from the managers, don't see the same people. That may be due to shift changes of the part timers, but I don't think so...

I think most people go to GC expecting to make money and get the employee discount, and then find out they don't make money, and probably have to wait 90 days to get the discount.

That said, I would guess you need to stick it out for a number of months to see any kind of advancement. Good luck.

• Members

Unless you have a real solid fulltime job you are better off not, no amount of money is worth the experience, which is why people get the job in the first place, it's all about networking, fishing for contacts, and gear aqcuisition, which will take a long time, to get anything really good.

If you don't need the money, do it. But dont expect to be able to survive on base + commission.

• Moderators
Would like to know who the VP of Operations is at Musician's Friend or who is a Senior Executive for MF' date=' Ms. D. O'Brien left in Dec 2014, need a new contact.[/quote']

there was a major shake out of senior staffing at HC/MF between November and this month...new players from the CEO down...I'm sure if you run a D&B on them you can find who's who...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Wow, that is pretty much a take it in the butt or split deal for the employees...I'm glad Gibson was able to give GC some cash recently to help tide them over to screw more employees...wink.png

on the plus side, I'm gonna start saving money for their going out of business sale...

• Members

They tend to hire guys that don't know anything about the gear, how to use and that is one of the main reasons it's going belly up.

I applied many times, they tend to hire young folks. Fact that I'm older, more experienced , seems to intimidate them. I guess it was the age barrier.

Back, in 2009, they hired me , made me fill out a W2 form, made copies of my D.L., Tribal I.D. ( to prove Citizenship .... LOL ) and told me to call the next following week, as instructed by the manager, I'd call and , "He wasn't in", I called back the next day, same thing.

One Employee told me in private, he hire a friend instead and wanted some one younger.

• Members
I started to think the hiring policy was based on the number of tattoos and piercings....

LOL !!!!

One time this guy came into Guitar Center to buy a pickup that suited his more aggressive style of of music , Metal.

The gal behind the counter recommended a medium power humbucker, a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates.. He was going for it, but I told him to get a pickup that was at least 14k ohms or higher. He got a more higher powered Dimarzio and when I seen him months later, he was glad he listened to me instead of Guitar Center's "pickup expert".

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

they all wear black, have tats and piercings...you meant the customers, right? ;)

What's the first thing a GC employee has to learn not to say?

'you want fries with that?'

Archived