Interesting article on Facebook and why it charges bands to reach their fanbase...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I can't say I totally disagree with this. At least in theory. What's the cutoff point when FB starts charging? When a post goes out to 10K fans or something like that?

Artists that have that many "likes" aren't communicating with their fans in any sort of dialogue. They are simply using FB as a free advertising platform. Some probably don't even realize they HAVE a Facebook page. It's not like if I post a comment on U2s Facebook page that Bono is going to post a reply to me....

• Moderators

That's the thing...FB is no longer really just about 'social media', it is a marketing tool, and as such, they should charge- if it is being utilized as such...extensively. The local band with the local following, however, shouldn't really be treated any differently than a regular 'social' user, IMHO.

• Members

Yep. That why there should be (and I believe there is) a high threshold for when they start charging. I believe it's when you have more than 10,000 fans you broadcast your posts out too.

Of course, there are always going to be grey areas. George Takai is an interesting case. He's pretty much made a 2nd (or is it his 3rd or 4th by now) by means of his FB presence. Yet I doubt he's getting rich off of the whole deal. He keeps his public profile up enough so that he can get a few more paid appearances and cameos and the like than he probably would otherwise. He maybe can't afford the fees FB would charge him. But then again, without him being able to use their platform....

Archived