Moving to England to live as a musician

Jukentins

• Members

Hey people, I'm Brazilian and of Portuguese descent and finishing my last school year in December this year. I plan to obtain Portuguese citizenship and therefore be able to study and live in or close to London because of the music scene that's there (information about it would be cool as well). I'd also be open to living in other parts of England, but I read London music scene is the best, but I might be wrong.

As an aspiring musician I was thinking about coursing Literature or Creative Writing because it would help me to develop as a lyricist, Philosopy because I find it very interesting or Commercial Music that is a course that I recently discovered. I'd be happy if someone gave me an insight about these three courses (how the lectures are like, what can your work with, etc) or even tell me about other ones that you think I might be interested in and tell me universities that are good in those courses. I don't really care about social status or tradition and neither do I want to make a lot of money. I just want to course a good and not expensive university with open-minded people, don't to be a renowned one. I plan to live fully off my own composed music in the future, if possible.

Also if there's restrictions for people with EU nationality that are foreigners to live in the UK I'd like to know, because my friend says there is, but I don't think he's right.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and sorry if this thread would be better placed elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

okay, I mulled this over for a while..do not, I repeat, DO NOT emulate teh concept of living like a musician, unless you like eating three day old bread, smoking cigarettes rolled from other people's cast-off butts and never having enough money to pay for your bills. Not unlike being a student; but today, society is far kinder to starving students than to starving musicians...I'm jus'sayin'...

Any large city has it's attractions, but with the current state of music today, unless you are looking for a specific 'guru', there is a certain level of comfort working your own turf until it no longer bears fruit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Been away from the forums for a while and just saw the replies today. Thanks for the help, guys. Yeah, I know I'll have a hard time in the beginning, but I just found out I am able to request student fees, being an EU student! Weather is very different from the subtropical Brazilian weather, I know, but I think I can handle that. Do you guys live in London? I've been thinking about living in some small city near London because of its high living cost.

Archived