Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Are Musicians Making $$$ These Days

I'm 54, and not interested in playing out live til 2:AM.  Seems like all of the traditional means of making $$$ are cliche these days.  I know there's a great way to use the internet to make $$$, and not to sound lazy, but I'm just trying to find out what's the most efficient means to make the most money these days.  Do I create a stable of singers, and/or musicians and produce music (original, and/or original arrangements of old covers), along with promoting them.

Looking for any creative ideas.  Heck, maybe we could work together.  Stranger thangs have happened.

KC

Do a solo act.  

"you mess with him and you mess with the whole trailer park"

Comment

• daddymack
      daddymack commented
      Editing a comment

the new universe in the post web age demands that musicians create music strictly for their own pleasure, not for commercial gain.  The whole dogma about making money from one's Intellectual Property goes against the new world order. Actually, the more one spends producing one's music, the greater the financial loss, the less respected the musician will be. Just put junk out on youtube...everyone else is...

I am still polishing my solo act, as the odds of getting adequate paying gigs with my band are dwindling daily.  You can try being an online session musician, as well, and some here are doing webcasts ala Second Life and other outlets...

How about:

1. Create great music.
    2. Develop a market for it.

That's my plan.

Comment

• daddymack
      daddymack commented
      Editing a comment

rangefinder wrote:

How about:

1. Create great music.

That's my plan.

would you care to flesh out 2.?

That is where the challenges arise.

• rangefinder
      rangefinder commented
      Editing a comment

daddymack wrote:

rangefinder wrote:

How about:

1. Create great music.

That's my plan.

You have to get the right people excited about your music, which means a few things:

1.) You have to find them

2.) They have to like YOU

3.) They have to LOVE your music

4.) They have to tell other people

Every artist takes a different path, but here are some common ones:

A.) Put together a live band, bust your ass playing free/cheap live shows, build a fan base that is ready to spend $$$ on your stuff, eventually hope to sign a recording deal wth a label or distribute your music via one of the independent/online services

B.) Build an enormous social media presence (e.g. make a video and go viral)

C.) Move to a music center (Nashville, NY, LA), network with industry people, get a development deal, bust your ass to get radio play

Option B is really the only "new" piece. It replaces the "old" Option B, which was "Get signed to a lucrative deal because some A&R dude likes you". So, not that much has changed (in my opinion) except the new "lottery ticket" is a YouTube video instead of an insider connection. Otherwise, making $$$ means busting your ass, like any other business.

FWIW I think many musicians don't pay enough attention to Step 2 above. Here's a recent blog post on Tunecore called Your Music Doesn't Matter. I don't agree with the title, but I DO agree with the content.

• daddymack
      daddymack commented
      Editing a comment

rangefinder wrote:

daddymack wrote:

rangefinder wrote:

How about:

1. Create great music.

That's my plan.

You have to get the right people excited about your music, which means a few things:

1.) You have to find them

2.) They have to like YOU

3.) They have to LOVE your music

4.) They have to tell other people

Every artist takes a different path, but here are some common ones:

A.) Put together a live band, bust your ass playing free/cheap live shows, build a fan base that is ready to spend $$$ on your stuff, eventually hope to sign a recording deal wth a label or distribute your music via one of the independent/online services

B.) Build an enormous social media presence (e.g. make a video and go viral)

C.) Move to a music center (Nashville, NY, LA), network with industry people, get a development deal, bust your ass to get radio play

Option B is really the only "new" piece. It replaces the "old" Option B, which was "Get signed to a lucrative deal because some A&R dude likes you". So, not that much has changed (in my opinion) except the new "lottery ticket" is a YouTube video instead of an insider connection. Otherwise, making $$$ means busting your ass, like any other business.

FWIW I think many musicians don't pay enough attention to Step 2 above. Here's a recent blog post on Tunecore called Your Music Doesn't Matter. I don't agree with the title, but I DO agree with the content.

Well let's face facts...it isn't about the 'what', it is all about the 'how'.

Working...
X