Delta Prevents Musician from Bringing Vintage Gibson Guitar On Board, Ends Up Destroy

VinylFan

• Members

Jan 7, 2013
Delta Prevents Musician from Bringing Vintage Gibson Guitar On Board, Ends Up Destroying It
Dave Schneider did everything he could to get Delta to let him bring his classic 1965 Gibson ES-335 on board his flight from Buffalo, NY to Detroit — going so far as to offer to buy the guitar its own seat — but was rebuffed.

http://gawker.com/5973747/delta-prev...-destroying-it

• Moderators

Yes, this happened, however, I have to say that this musician travels frequently with his $10,000 vintage axe, yet he never invested in an ATA rated flight case for it, and he didn't insure it?
I would not travel with that guitar. I am sorry it suffered damage, but he tempted fate; had it not been the airline, something else was bound to happen eventually. Delta, like United, will eventually pay restitution, but there has to be an element of personal responsibility here as well.

• Members

The picture of the crushed LP in the 'machines' belies a certain amount of mechanical strength that maybe an ATA couldn't have resisted. That said, it's obvious the airline is at fault, and not only should he get an equal value guitar, but find out how his guitar ended up in the position. A visit to the baggage handler's haunts might be in order, almost looks like straight up hate sabotage.

• Moderators

1st, it was a 335. 2nd, an ATA-rated case would have not been crushed, that is the entire point of having an ATA-rated case (sorry, I used to be in the case biz...I have seen trucks driven over ATA cases with no damage to the instrument). As well made as Gibson's HSCs are, they are not designed to be manhandled by gorillas.

• Members

Musician Who Had Vintage Guitar Destroyed by Delta Gets a New One from Gibson

After his prized 1965 Gibson ES-335 sustained nearly $2,000 worth of damage following a Delta flight from Buffalo to Detroit, musician Dave Schneider says the airline tried its damnedest to avoid paying up.

http://gawker.com/5974839/musician-w...ne-from-gibson

Archived