Is there a viable physical successor to the CD?

pogo97

• Members

I basically don't buy CDs anymore. For years. I download stuff from iTunes etc. But I do think that there is a place for a physical representation of your music that you can exchange with someone who is physically present and who will give you actual physical money for.

I've heard friends say they sell cards/coupons and memory sticks at gigs (catch that impulse buy). I dunno, what's out there?

• Members

We've toyed with the idea of memory sticks; they're easier for a buyer at a gig to take home without a huge CD sticking out of their pocket, but never been sure of the demand.
Kind of adds to the novelty of an item.

• Members

We've toyed with the idea of memory sticks; they're easier for a buyer at a gig to take home without a huge CD sticking out of their pocket, but never been sure of the demand.
Kind of adds to the novelty of an item.

• Moderators

CDs are still the coin of the realm at gigs. Flash drives are making inroads, but have yet to achieve wide acceptance. DVD-ROM is making it possible to include HD quality video plus other digital magic, yet is still physically the same as a CD, but it won't play in a car CD system.
The digital age of music is gradually obsoleting CDs. This creates a challenge in several ways, like liner notes, logos, etc are becoming a thing of the past because there will likely just be a QR code required for listeners to access your cloud-stored music.
How do you brand your music when there is no physical presence, no 'master image', no memorable logo? These are all things which are creating stumbling blocks for those who are thinking in the traditional paradigm. Maybe all that needs to be cast aside, and the music must be so compelling that it will sell on it's own merit, without all the marketing hoopla that worked in the past.

• Moderators

CDs are still the coin of the realm at gigs. Flash drives are making inroads, but have yet to achieve wide acceptance. DVD-ROM is making it possible to include HD quality video plus other digital magic, yet is still physically the same as a CD, but it won't play in a car CD system.
The digital age of music is gradually obsoleting CDs. This creates a challenge in several ways, like liner notes, logos, etc are becoming a thing of the past because there will likely just be a QR code required for listeners to access your cloud-stored music.
How do you brand your music when there is no physical presence, no 'master image', no memorable logo? These are all things which are creating stumbling blocks for those who are thinking in the traditional paradigm. Maybe all that needs to be cast aside, and the music must be so compelling that it will sell on it's own merit, without all the marketing hoopla that worked in the past.

• Members

The thing I don't like about "Cloud" based is the sheer permenancy. I.e. I have a copy of my CD, it's mine till it wears out.

I recorded something off TV using my fancy new TV recording box, supplied by my cable provider. As it transpires, a few weeks later the channel it was recorded from is no longer part of my TV package. I found, when trying to playback the programme that the box refused telling me that I didn't have the channel anymore => couldn't watch it.

I just wonder how long until iTunes falls out with and decides that all content previously provided is no longer available regardless of whether it's physically on your iPod or not.

• Members

The thing I don't like about "Cloud" based is the sheer permenancy. I.e. I have a copy of my CD, it's mine till it wears out.

I recorded something off TV using my fancy new TV recording box, supplied by my cable provider. As it transpires, a few weeks later the channel it was recorded from is no longer part of my TV package. I found, when trying to playback the programme that the box refused telling me that I didn't have the channel anymore => couldn't watch it.

I just wonder how long until iTunes falls out with and decides that all content previously provided is no longer available regardless of whether it's physically on your iPod or not.

• Members

Well, 78s basically only had identification on them, not cover art etc. Odd, when you consider that sheet music had very elaborate art.

CDs will be playable as long as CD players are sold at a reasonable cost and certainly as long as they're standard on new cars. (are they? I wouldn't know.) But records will always be playable, even if it's with a pin stuck through a cone of paper.

I've considered selling vinyl EPs with a code on them to download from the iTunes store. But that would simply be a novelty item. Almost no-one could play it (except using the aforementioned pin and paper cone).

• Members

Well, 78s basically only had identification on them, not cover art etc. Odd, when you consider that sheet music had very elaborate art.

CDs will be playable as long as CD players are sold at a reasonable cost and certainly as long as they're standard on new cars. (are they? I wouldn't know.) But records will always be playable, even if it's with a pin stuck through a cone of paper.

I've considered selling vinyl EPs with a code on them to download from the iTunes store. But that would simply be a novelty item. Almost no-one could play it (except using the aforementioned pin and paper cone).

• Members

Vinyl sales have been on the rise every year since 2006 -
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...CDs-slump.html
http://potholesinmyblog.com/vinyl-sa...-rise-in-2012/

I think this is the future - MP3s for the convenience, records for the quality and intimate, tactile experience.

That's what I've been doing, anyway. I'm a big fan of the vinyl and MP3 download packaged together, which I'm seeing more and more often lately. I only buy CD's when I'm at a show for a friend's band or something like that.

• Members

I think this is the future - MP3s for the convenience, records for the quality and intimate, tactile experience.

That's what I've been doing, anyway. I'm a big fan of the vinyl and MP3 download packaged together, which I'm seeing more and more often lately. I only buy CD's when I'm at a show for a friend's band or something like that.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by pogo97 View Post
Well, same with most 45s well into the late 60s. They came in a plain paper sleeve.
BTW, I see more of those Crossley (sp?) machines advertised which have a rudimentary TT which will play the vinyl or transfer it to a CD. I actually still have a decent TT...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 8 Foot Manchild View Post

So is Vinyl the viable successor? wink.gif

Archived