It's a necessity to being on Spotify, don't you know
    Working for myself...
    LibreRock Records
    UK Musician Forums
    MAENET Ltd.
    MattEarly.com

I rarely make CDs.
    Video playing guitar at the beach - www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4OTqDn0JqE
    Music video - Maersk rescue from pirates, original pictures, NAVY SEAL museum - www.youtube.com/watch?v=22fJQ8t8ZY8
    Broken Hearted Surfer - Original Surf music and video featuring local Florida surfers - www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aFXhNoRhHw

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by YeahDoIt
      View Post

I rarely make CDs.

I'm toying with the idea of short run limited edition for physical purposes, spend a little money on them first... Create booklets etc... But sell them at shows and at a price.
      Working for myself...
      LibreRock Records
      UK Musician Forums
      MAENET Ltd.
      MattEarly.com

Comment

price point is the key, and perceived value is difficult to judge. I rarely see anyone charging more than $10 (~8 euros) per disc, even with great art, booklets, etc. Certainly there is profit to be made there, but not enough bones to pick the meat off.
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

thats true... the value you put on it will be key, BUT its down to your marketing to put the price on it.

a run of 50 cds, full printed, 16 page booklet, cased and wrapped would cost no more than £220. you sell em as very limited edition at £15 and you can make £500 from it. That more than pays for the studio time
          Working for myself...
          LibreRock Records
          UK Musician Forums
          MAENET Ltd.
          MattEarly.com

Comment

if you can move them at that price...£15 is ~$25 (~20 euros), which I seriously doubt you can charge successfully at a club/pub show...or even online for an unsigned act.
            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

If you put on a good show and tell people 'we've got CDs in the back', people will buy them.

If you put on a good show and tell people 'go home and download us on iTunes/bandcamp/whatever', they will have forgotten by the time they get home.

That's been my experience, and that's about the only reason any of my bands make CDs - to have something immediately available to physically hand a potential fan before they're distracted by the nine bazillion other sources of entertainment out there.
              Emperor Norton's Stationary Marching Band
              Eight Foot Manchild

Comment

• ZebraSteve
                ZebraSteve commented
                Editing a comment

Yes totally agree, bring physical CD's to your shows. I would also go as far as set up a table at the gig and have a friend there to sell your CD's and possible other items like T-Shirts. You can announce from the stage you have CD's and T-shirts available at the table and if your band is good people will respond and buy them!

Making Cd's is good but not necessity.

1. It just a different look to tell someone they can get ou in stores or buy a physical CD.

2. There's still a group who prefer physical product

3. If you perform allot its good to have
              Insomnia Music & DeathChamberzMusic presents Jakob22
              Check out music Videos and Download album

Comment

Its how you market them. If you say its a limited Edition, signed by the band, plus some extras then sure it worth it. But just paying £20 for a normal CD, no chance.
                Improve your guitar playing for as little as 99cents - www.ashleyjsaunders.com** 6 New books for 2013!! **

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by aj_guitarist
                  View Post

Its how you market them. If you say its a limited Edition, signed by the band, plus some extras then sure it worth it. But just paying £20 for a normal CD, no chance.

Not a chance!

Not even the monsters of rock charge that for an album. They'll include either double disc, large booklet and a DVD for that price
                  Working for myself...
                  LibreRock Records
                  UK Musician Forums
                  MAENET Ltd.
                  MattEarly.com

Comment

I generally make CDs...people like to order direct with a autograph, and reviewers seem to take you seriously.

I've come across some reviewers who won't accept your music unless you send them a physical copy.

VITNEhttp://www.vitne.net

Comment

• Dave Keir
                      Dave Keir commented
                      Editing a comment

Made 3 CDs. Full pro-mastered shrink-wrapped efforts. Even professional photographs on the last one! I'm rather proud of them. Maybe a 4th down the line. I sell what I like to call a "roaring trickle" via my website, CD Baby and at gigs. 

Is it worth it? Not commercially, no, but worth can be measured by other metrics. 

I'm prejudiced, though, because I still listen to CDs through a good hi-fi at home. It'll be a strange old day when I stream Mahler's 9th symphony via Spotify.

• Joseph Kimbrell
                      Joseph Kimbrell commented
                      Editing a comment

Anyone ever used Kunaki or Vervante?

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
                      Editing a comment

In countries with developed fiber optic network the digital sales reached 95% of the market share. In countries  without dense fiber optic network people buy music also digitally, even in music sales shops in Africa people buy mp3 nowadays.

Compact Disc stores diappeared in whole Europe and Asia. Amazon.com and all the other about 1000 main outlets worldwide which still ship CD, the record companies have to pay storage fees for CD now. We press CD for artists which tour and who picked up the feeling in a territory so the compact disc are also available to the consumer.

Of course for the local band selling a CD is an additional income. For a record company however only the best selling artists generate a profit with CDs.

Yep. I sell them at shows mainly and there are people who still want them online. I try to sell my music everywhere and in any format that is feasible (no vinyl... yet) and offer links to as man of those places as I can on my site.

Some poeple are big on trying to funnel sales through 1 or 2 sites but I figure, why should I make someone interested in buying/consuming my music jump through hoops. I leave it up to them. If they are comfortable with iTunes, great. If they use Spotify or whereever else, thats cool too. I just want to lower the barriers to entry.

Official Website...Planetcorey.comThoughts on how I get fans and make a few bucks...Musicgoat.com

Comment

Working...
                    X