It's Getting Harder To Download S&*T For Free...

Matximus

• Members

This is purely anecdotal... but it is. In the last six months or so -they've gotten good cracking down on Mediafire and 4Shared. It all started with that s*** that went down with MegaUpload. They got bit-torrent too. You've been having to go deeper and deeper into the nethersphere to get free s*** for free- that's how things are trending. It's interesting. Maybe it's inevitable - it was the wild wild west with content flowing free for a while but eventually order would come to the situation - same way it was with physical space in America. Internet was a wide open free range for a while ... never coulda lasted forever.

Me: I'm annoyed. I've loved ripping stuff for free and jamming up my iPod with all sorts of great stuff I never woulda bought anyway for the last five years or so. I got Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and If You Only Knew - that song the WWF Superstars Recorded years and years ago... Motley Crue and Leonard Cohen... I got albums of songs for free by Serge Gainsbourg. Tell me I was gonna get into Serge Gainsbourg I had to actually pay for them records??? Me and Serger woulda never met... And I Haven't spent a dime on recorded music in... geez... can't remember the last time I bought a record. Bush was in office- that's for sure.

I just spent 20 minutes trying to find Nas' Illmatic and came up short. WTF??? This happened a few weeks ago. I heard that song "Friends of P" by the Rentals and figured I'd find the album and rip it for free somewhere. I came up short. I was pissed. Year ago I got Ben E. King's entire Atlantic Catalogue for free - even Seven Letters, which you can't even find on Vinyl No more. I got the entire Roger Miller catalogue - s*** that's been outta print since the seventies. Found that s*** for free on the internet. Now I can't find a decent way to rip Illmatic. F***ing s***. The candy store is closed.

If they've gotten a grip on stamping the flow of free s*** on the internet it'll be interesting to see what happens next. Ya'll think it means people will start paying for CD's again - that's not what is going to happen.

The idea of going back to spending $15 for a CD of 10 or 15 recorded songs - I'm sorry but that s*** just ain't gonna fly with me ever again. 15 recorded songs ain't worth close to $15 to me. I wouldn't pay that much for a batch of 50 recorded songs. I truly wouldn't. Who knows what'll happen. But we aren't going back that way.

But it is interesting - they're getting the commons fenced. I really think that is what is going on. Everybody freaked out when the internet happened but I really think it was just another thing. You'll see.

Last word: It was f***ing good getting s*** for free when the getting was good though, I'll tell you that much. I ain't apologizing. I'm a mother-f***er that'll steal a TV in a riot, no doubt. Most people are built that way. Least I admit that s***.

Gotta iPod fat with 10,000 free awesome songs. I'm f***ing sweating the day that f***ing thing craps out. No way I can get em all back for free....

• Members

I adore these types of mentally-retarded arguments:

"I steal because it's easy, and therefore I should be allowed to steal."

But if someone comes into YOUR place of business and steals from YOU, then your {censored} starts bleeding and you whine for Mama Obama to save you.

• Members

But if someone comes into YOUR place of business and steals from YOU, then your {censored} starts bleeding and you whine for Mama Obama to save you.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by niceguy View Post

Liberal logic: if you didn't catch me doing it I didn't do it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by niceguy View Post

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by NoRomoFan View Post
I think that may apply to conservatives...oh, no, wait I forgot. conservatives logic: so you caught me. So what...the money is already long gone...in my account in Barbados wink.gif
Let's leave politics and ideologies out of this.
What it comes down to is the world has changed, and what you used to be able to get away with, you no longer can. Get over it Max, be happy you saw what you saw, and move forward. wave.gif

• Moderators
I think that may apply to conservatives...oh, no, wait I forgot. conservatives logic: so you caught me. So what...the money is already long gone...in my account in Barbados wink.gif
What it comes down to is the world has changed, and what you used to be able to get away with, you no longer can. Get over it Max, be happy you saw what you saw, and move forward. wave.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by daddymack View Post
Well said. And yeah - that is the point. It was awesome while it lasted. I actually thought it was going to last forever. I was up on Napster when it first broke. I got up a bit late- that was my real first taste of crack. They shut that down pretty good and whackamoled all the clones swift too. When Mediafire & Megaupload and Bit-Torrent Came Along they had a new field in the war - be interesting to see if the techies discover another crack in the damn.

But things change. This is what it comes down to. This is a very, very good thing too. I am certainly happy with all the good {censored} I got for free. It will take a while to get over it, though. It was awesome. Way our brains work it is deeply difficult to give up good gimmie-gimmies once you get them. It's how we are wired, actually. Loved that Free Music, man. I was mainlining that {censored} hard for a while..

And yeah: I did only listen to about 200 of those 10,000 songs more than once. That was a very astute observation there.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by daddymack View Post
Well said. And yeah - that is the point. It was awesome while it lasted. I actually thought it was going to last forever. I was up on Napster when it first broke. I got up a bit late- that was my real first taste of crack. They shut that down pretty good and whackamoled all the clones swift too. When Mediafire & Megaupload and Bit-Torrent Came Along they had a new field in the war - be interesting to see if the techies discover another crack in the damn.

But things change. This is what it comes down to. This is a very, very good thing too. I am certainly happy with all the good {censored} I got for free. It will take a while to get over it, though. It was awesome. Way our brains work it is deeply difficult to give up good gimmie-gimmies once you get them. It's how we are wired, actually. Loved that Free Music, man. I was mainlining that {censored} hard for a while..

And yeah: I did only listen to about 200 of those 10,000 songs more than once. That was a very astute observation there.

• Members
WTF are you talking about? What does liberal or conservative have to do with this?

I use the term "Mama Obama" to refer to the fact that EVERYONE goes bitching to the govt when their rights are even slightly hurt----yet, people are always glad to screw over their neighbors.

• Members
WTF are you talking about? What does liberal or conservative have to do with this?

I use the term "Mama Obama" to refer to the fact that EVERYONE goes bitching to the govt when their rights are even slightly hurt----yet, people are always glad to screw over their neighbors.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent

View Post

You just have to search a little longer. See Louis CK about whining about technology: It's miracle that it even exists.

Yeah... I did get that Nas album. Rapidshare. Rock n Roll. Gonna keep on Free Riding yeah!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent

View Post

You just have to search a little longer. See Louis CK about whining about technology: It's miracle that it even exists.

Yeah... I did get that Nas album. Rapidshare. Rock n Roll. Gonna keep on Free Riding yeah!

• Members

I work at a public library, and these days, libraries are all inter-connected as parts of regional consortiums. No longer limited to what's in our immediate collection, if we don't have it, we can get it from somewhere else. So it's sort of become the real world equivalent of Napster. Nearly anything you want (that's been commercially released), you can get. So that's largely become the main method for how I consume music.

But I guess I'm just not much of a music geek...because I'm lucky if I borrow one CD a month. It has to be something I really want to hear to bother bringing it home. Even among the stuff that has accumulated space on my hard drive over the years, I haven't really gotten around to listening to it all. So I guess I don't get the appeal of having hundreds of thousands of songs, rare alternate versions of the same song, or live bootlegs and all that. I'm fine with the officially released version. If there's a particular song I want to hear, I can almost always stream it on YouTube, and it won't eat up any more space in my hard drive.

I'm probably not the only one. People will borrow gargantuan amounts of DVDs (we recently had to implement a 10-item limit, because it was getting too ridiculous), but CDs get circulated far less by comparison.

Meanwhile, Spotify seems to be gaining some real traction, considering how many playlists from friends I see posted on Facebook. I'm aware of the problems with Spotify regarding compensating artists fairly, but purely as a service, I can definitely see it catching on.

• Members

I work at a public library, and these days, libraries are all inter-connected as parts of regional consortiums. No longer limited to what's in our immediate collection, if we don't have it, we can get it from somewhere else. So it's sort of become the real world equivalent of Napster. Nearly anything you want (that's been commercially released), you can get. So that's largely become the main method for how I consume music.

But I guess I'm just not much of a music geek...because I'm lucky if I borrow one CD a month. It has to be something I really want to hear to bother bringing it home. Even among the stuff that has accumulated space on my hard drive over the years, I haven't really gotten around to listening to it all. So I guess I don't get the appeal of having hundreds of thousands of songs, rare alternate versions of the same song, or live bootlegs and all that. I'm fine with the officially released version. If there's a particular song I want to hear, I can almost always stream it on YouTube, and it won't eat up any more space in my hard drive.

I'm probably not the only one. People will borrow gargantuan amounts of DVDs (we recently had to implement a 10-item limit, because it was getting too ridiculous), but CDs get circulated far less by comparison.

Meanwhile, Spotify seems to be gaining some real traction, considering how many playlists from friends I see posted on Facebook. I'm aware of the problems with Spotify regarding compensating artists fairly, but purely as a service, I can definitely see it catching on.

Archived