Using kickstarter to raise $2,000

Orrin

• Members

Some friends of mine used kickstarter to raise $2,000 to get their new album mastered. I did an interview with them to work out what they did right and what others trying to do the same thing in the future could learn from it.

http://modernmuso.com/funding-the-ne...h-kickstarter/

If you guys have any feedback about the article (how helpful it was etc), I'd love to hear it

• Moderators

sadly, the most telling comment was "Nearly 50% of our goal was raised by just 3 backers who are close friends and fans of the band." So despite all the pleasant concepts, the 'kickstarter' portion was only half of the input...I think it would be advisable in your article to point this out earlier, since it does tend to take some of the shine off of the 'crowdfunding' ballyhoo.

• Members

I dunno-- a different take on it would be that, in addition to being able to raise $1200 from 20 backers in addition to 15% who really like the band giving a lot more.

That's pretty typical based on KS campaigns that I've seen, until you get into the 5-figure campaigns.

I don't think that's a bad thing-- it is an easy way to support artists that you like without having to support a tremendous chunk of the project as an individual...

• Moderators

I have nothing against teh Kickstarter concept, but I do have an issue with not being completely transparent about how it worked. I personally think the ability of individuals to 'invest' in something they like is a great idea...it is free enterprise, it is the stock market minus the greedy brokerages. But headlining/promoting as having received all the $2000 from ks, when roughly half came from 'insiders', is disingenuous.

• Members

Well, maybe you are right-- it isn't like you're going to do very well with total strangers on kickstarter.

But consider two things:

without something like kickstarter it would be a lot harder to convince even the insiders to kick in their $350

and

even in companies that are owned in shares (to take your investment metaphor) often times big chunks of those shares are originally bought by a few people close to the operation.

So I agree that no venture really is going to hit a lottery on kickstarter without some interested parties, especially a few very supportive parties... but at the same time, that's just the nature of business.

TO be a bit cynical, the entire article seems like disingenuous blog spam to me...

But I have seen several successful KS campaigns both personally and at larger scales, and I think they are a valuable way of funding small arts projects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've noticed Kickstarter campaigns are most successful when there's some real "star" leverage behind them. Not necessarily a big celebrity project, though more of those are happening. A few examples...a new Leisure Suit Larry game got something like half a million dollars funding because all the old team in the 80s said they would make if funded. A film got funded because (well, not just because...) the writers and producers had worked on network television shows. They weren't big names, but they had notable credits.

Archived