Rush - LA Times bashes them

VinylFan

• Members

The Los Angeles Times writers keep bashing Rush. Post your comments on this forum thread, on those article webpages and on the YouTube comments section. Tell your friends who are into Rush too.

LA Times

Does Rush deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

LA Times

Rush vindicated: A Rock Hall of Fame berth for Canadian rock band

YouTube

• Members

They deserved to be bashed. I agree with almost every criticism the author has about the band.

They also deserve to be in the HOF.

But if nominating Rush is about giving Prog Rock more due (and not just about record sales), then Yes, Jethro Tull and King Crimson deserve to go first. Not only are those bands all better (my personal opinion only) but they predate Rush and Rush probably wouldn't exist in the same form without them.

• Moderators

first, Randall Roberts is the worst rock critic in modern memory (his predecessor, Robert Hilburn, wasn't always clearheaded either). But to think Chic should go in before Deep Purple, the Meters...facepalm.gif
(not a knock on Nile Rodgers, but seriously, their material was radio-friendly soul-pop with a tad of funk tossed in, not Rock)...and to suggest that N.W.A. should be in the Rock and Roll HOF? rolleyes.gif Rap needs its own hall somewhere, maybe in South Central, or Detroit, or Harlem...but rap ain't rock.
As far as Rush...there are far too many influential bands from the real rock and roll era who have yet to be inducted...look how long it took to get the Ventures, arguably the most seminal and influential American surf band, in!

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by BlueStrat View Post
Is there a more over-used word in the English language than "bashed"? Not all criticism is "bashing." Some of it is actually valid.
A friend of mine observed that Rush fans are "the Ron Paul supporters of the music business." I tend to agree.
But I love Ron Paul and hate Rush!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
But if nominating Rush is about giving Prog Rock more due (and not just about record sales), then Yes, Jethro Tull and King Crimson deserve to go first. Not only are those bands all better (my personal opinion only) but they predate Rush and Rush probably wouldn't exist in the same form without them.
They may pre-date Rush, but the fact is that they're not the multi-gold and platinum selling, stadium selling-out, chart-topping bands here and now. Rush were and still are because they have more or less consistently produced good music right from the 70s until now. Better still, they've produced good PROG music, creating a hardcore fanbase in the process. Meanwhile the likes of many other prog bands largely faded away or were at least diminished over time.

I'm actually a fan of all the bands you've mentioned so don't think I'm some Rush fanboy.

• Members

From the second article:

Rolling Stone publisher/Rock Hall co-founder Jann Wenner’s empire once published in a record guide a description of singer Geddy Lee’s voice as sounding like “a cross between Donald Duck and Robert Plant.” It awarded the band’s “A Farewell to Kings” zero stars, which was defined in the book as being “Worthless. Records that need never (or should never) have been created.” So there’s a history between the two camps.

The RnRHOF has officially become a joke. As has Rolling Stone. Everyone trying to dry hump the memory of Lester Bangs.

22 consecutive gold records and they are a ROCK band, but hey let's give Donna Summer her due.

There aren't enough facepalm.gif

At least change the name to the "Pop Music Mall Of Publicity Handjobs". It'd be much more accurate.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGould

View Post

They may pre-date Rush, but the fact is that they're not the multi-gold and platinum selling, stadium selling-out, chart-topping bands here and now.

Not really a requirement and nor should it be. Jeff Beck for example is in twice(Yardbirds/Slolo) and rightfully so and his record sales are always low. As far as the genre goes, definitely Jethro Tull first then we'll discuss Rush and the rest.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Alndln2

View Post

Not really a requirement and nor should it be. Jeff Beck for example is in twice(Yardbirds/Slolo) and rightfully so and his record sales are always low. As far as the genre goes, definitely Jethro Tull first then we'll discuss Rush and the rest.

Because Jeff has wrote so many great songs! I can't count all the times i have danced to all the great songs off of Flash.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr View Post
From the second article:

Rolling Stone publisher/Rock Hall co-founder Jann Wenner’s empire once published in a record guide a description of singer Geddy Lee’s voice as sounding like “a cross between Donald Duck and Robert Plant.” It awarded the band’s “A Farewell to Kings” zero stars, which was defined in the book as being “Worthless. Records that need never (or should never) have been created.” So there’s a history between the two camps.

The RnRHOF has officially become a joke. As has Rolling Stone. Everyone trying to dry hump the memory of Lester Bangs.

22 consecutive gold records and they are a ROCK band, but hey let's give Donna Summer her due.

There aren't enough facepalm.gif

At least change the name to the "Pop Music Mall Of Publicity Handjobs". It'd be much more accurate.
Let me guess what his take on Metal Machine Music or anything by The Replacements was. "Brilliant, back to the basics, ground breaking, breath taking, blah {censored}ing blah. Sorry chumps, i read Cream as a teen. No sale here. AC/DC was also looked at by the music intelligentsia of Cream writers as being the worst thing that could happen to rock music. It didn't have the grey matter of Patti Smith. Same with Black Sabbath and of course Zappa was nothing more than 'poo poo humor". I hope to God Rush blows this off if they are deemed worthy to get in. Does anyone under the age of 65 and with a brain actually GO to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame? And why? Good hot dogs? Reprints of the No Nukes T -shirts? Hand jobs by David Crosby? Is the Fall in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame? Can?

• Members

I don't think Randall Roberts understands what the word "Fame" means. And if he's willing to act as though Geddy's voice disqualifies them, he's just a {censored}ing dick. There are plenty of singers at least equally as annoying that have been inducted (Lou Reed comes to mind, among others).

Rush have always said "{censored} you" to those who tried to compromise their artistic vision, and that is especially commendable in the era in which they've operated as a band. The fact that they have had great success while doing that puts them ahead of everyone on the nomination list this year, in my opinion.

• Members

Two things that are totally irrelevant - rock critics and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I've never had any use for music critics. Music appeals to different people in different ways, and rock critics are wanna be musicians who sit on the sidelines and pretend they have important knowledge and opinions. I've got more respect for the 16 year old kid who writes his first awful song and puts it on youtube.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is even dumber. Self important people who think their opinions matter more than everyone else's, deciding to determine who was "most important" in rock history. It's a truckload of {censored}, because a crock isn't big enough.

When I was younger, Rolling Stone published a book of album reviews (they may still do this, I could care less.) And it was fun to look at the reviews for the Doors records. Before the big "No One Here Gets Out Alive" Doors revival happened, RS bagged on the Doors records and rated them awful. Once they were the hip cool thing after the book came out, RS gave the records stellar reviews.

AS for Rush, people loved or hated them and still do. I was a Rush fan up through Moving Pictures and then they lost me. Now the band is touring a new album and playing 3 hour shows. And the decent seats are $90. Geddy Lee has half the vocal range he used to have and it's downright painful to hear him try to sing the old songs. But I respect those guys because aside from being monster musicians, they're still out there doing their thing.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by richardmac View Post
AS for Rush, people loved or hated them and still do. I was a Rush fan up through Moving Pictures and then they lost me. Now the band is touring a new album and playing 3 hour shows. And the decent seats are $90. Geddy Lee has half the vocal range he used to have and it's downright painful to hear him try to sing the old songs. But I respect those guys because aside from being monster musicians, they're still out there doing their thing.
Name a major rock act who's tickets for a halfway decent seat aren't $100.

Geddy has "half the vocal range" he used to simply because for most of the early years he was singing incorrectly. Love him or hate him, he actually sings better now than in the early years. Not only that, age changes things, and none of those guys are spring chickens anymore, but they kick more ass onstage than most of the acts I've seen in the last 10 years.

RRHOF? Who cares. It's a crap institution. In the end, I don't blame bands that either don't show up, or half show up (Van halen) to be inducted, especially if they are still writing and performing. It's a joke.

I don't read the LA times, and after reading this moron's take on Rush, (Chic? Really?) I can see I'm not missing much.

• Members

I'm no Rush fan, but they've been around before I was born. I've heard bad jokes about their music since I was a kid just like I have about reggae music, and more recently the Insane Clown Posse. And regardless, all of these things continue to go on and grow stronger, get bigger.

I don't know what makes a band more qualified...?

And its *AWESOME* that Public Enemy is getting in. Fear of a Black Planet is a masterpiece!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by michael_B View Post
Name a major rock act who's tickets for a halfway decent seat aren't $100.

Geddy has "half the vocal range" he used to simply because for most of the early years he was singing incorrectly. Love him or hate him, he actually sings better now than in the early years. Not only that, age changes things, and none of those guys are spring chickens anymore, but they kick more ass onstage than most of the acts I've seen in the last 10 years.

RRHOF? Who cares. It's a crap institution. In the end, I don't blame bands that either don't show up, or half show up (Van halen) to be inducted, especially if they are still writing and performing. It's a joke.

I don't read the LA times, and after reading this moron's take on Rush, (Chic? Really?) I can see I'm not missing much.

You're awfully defensive. Yes, I'm aware that big acts charge huge prices for tickets. And I'm also aware that Geddy can't hit the high notes because he's old. But thanks for reminding me why I don't time in this forum like I used to.

• Members

RUSH has always been a quirky band that most people either love or hate. There don't seem to be many that are indifferent. Obviously, they get a larger percentage of love from Canadians. Personally, I have acquired a taste for their music. I find it refreshingly distinctive.

Technically, I'm a RUSH fan. My very first concert was RUSH, Moving Pictures Tour. Since that show, I've been to many other RUSH concerts. They've changed a lot over the years, taking the music in multiple directions. The last show I saw was the first round of Snakes & Arrows and the guitar tones with the H&K amps + piezo setup is the best live rock 'n' roll guitar tones I've ever experienced at any concert.

The RUSH haters don't really bother me. To each their own. There's no accounting for taste.

I don't care about the HOF or the arbitrary hierarchy of who is considered more deserving. I like lots of bands. But, I don't see much point in trying to decide which I favor more than others. Who cares? I like what I like and have MANY favorites.

I certainly don't care what some professional critic thinks. I find professional critics of movies and music to be mostly useless. I can't count on any of them to make good and consistent recommendations, so what's the use in reading their opinion? My own opinion is the only one that matters to me. If other people prefer to be told what to like, that's up to them but I don't need a published opinion or a HOF stamp of approval.

• Members

Grammy's, MTV music awards, R&RHOF are all old money Hollywood dryhump handjobs that have nothing to do with art, beauty, fame or aesthetic but everything to do with commercialization and marketability. The LA Times is the most jaded publication on the planet. The whole of LA is obssesed wth the hollywood mystique/legend/ideal and every body thinks they are going to be, is trying to be, is in the process of, or used to be, a {censored}ing star.

Some are worthy, most are posers and American Idol rejects who have no business being in show business.

The whole thing is nothing more than petty distraction and liesure for the very rich, powerful and beautiful.

There is untold millions of people who have made untold billions of dollars off of this machine, and it's wheels are well greased with old money and is the sacred cash cow that is off limits to any who dare try and question, fight, change, corrupt, or negate it's influence.

It's like giving an award to CNN or MSNBC or San Jose Mercury News or San Francisco Chronicle or the

Wall Street Journal for journalistic excellence when all any of them do is parrot the party/corporate/commercially viable line.

They only print/publish/broadcast what they are paid to, and it has nothing to do with truth, fairness, justice, higher reasoning, real art or reality. It means less than nothing to most of the world, but everything to those who seek to profit from the connection/exploitation/association.

Same can be said for all the TV stations, they only broadcast to the lowest common denominator, and the maximum number of viewers to make a ratings standard.

Which has nothing to do with true art or aesthetic, or reality.

Not enough facepalms indeed, I dont believe I just wasted 9 minutes of life illustrating this to myself and to anyone else who might happen upon it.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Basically, Randall Roberts says that he doesn't like RUSH because it doesn't have enough 'blues influence' and they don't deserve to be inducted into the R 'n' R HOF because he doesn't like them. Well, I don't like apples because they are not enough like oranges and therefore apples should not be considered fruit. Same type of logic. Who cares what the guy thinks or even what the R 'n' R HOF thinks? RUSH is unique and that's what makes them special to me. I don't need validation for liking RUSH. Hatters gonna hate.

Archived