No announcement yet.

Rush - LA Times bashes them

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rush - LA Times bashes them

The Los Angeles Times writers keep bashing Rush. Post your comments on this forum thread, on those article webpages and on the YouTube comments section. Tell your friends who are into Rush too.

LA Times

Does Rush deserve to be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

LA Times

Rush vindicated: A Rock Hall of Fame berth for Canadian rock band

YouTube

Rush in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame?

They deserved to be bashed. I agree with almost every criticism the author has about the band.

They also deserve to be in the HOF.

But if nominating Rush is about giving Prog Rock more due (and not just about record sales), then Yes, Jethro Tull and King Crimson deserve to go first. Not only are those bands all better (my personal opinion only) but they predate Rush and Rush probably wouldn't exist in the same form without them.

Comment

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doesn't deserve Rush.
      Here's a tip - if you put out some horrible lo-fi recording that sounds like a Gorilla banging an antelope while using a vacuum with a bad belt drive to suck up a floor full of marbles and silverware - and folks don't line up in mass numbers to hop on your wagon... maybe it ain't us who don't "get it". - THX1138

Comment

Is there a more over-used word in the English language than "bashed"? Not all criticism is "bashing." Some of it is actually valid.

A friend of mine observed that Rush fans are "the Ron Paul supporters of the music business." I tend to agree.
        http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

first, Randall Roberts is the worst rock critic in modern memory (his predecessor, Robert Hilburn, wasn't always clearheaded either). But to think Chic should go in before Deep Purple, the Meters...

(not a knock on Nile Rodgers, but seriously, their material was radio-friendly soul-pop with a tad of funk tossed in, not Rock)...and to suggest that N.W.A. should be in the Rock and Roll HOF? Rap needs its own hall somewhere, maybe in South Central, or Detroit, or Harlem...but rap ain't rock.

As far as Rush...there are far too many influential bands from the real rock and roll era who have yet to be inducted...look how long it took to get the Ventures, arguably the most seminal and influential American surf band, in!
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
          "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by lsits
            View Post

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doesn't deserve Rush.

The HOF doesn't deserve anyone. It's a **************** institution.
            My partial discography: https://www.youtube.com/user/BucksStudent/videos

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStrat
              View Post

Is there a more over-used word in the English language than "bashed"? Not all criticism is "bashing." Some of it is actually valid.

A friend of mine observed that Rush fans are "the Ron Paul supporters of the music business." I tend to agree.

But I love Ron Paul and hate Rush!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight
                View Post

But I love Ron Paul and hate Rush!

You, sir,are the exception!
                http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by guido61
                  View Post

But if nominating Rush is about giving Prog Rock more due (and not just about record sales), then Yes, Jethro Tull and King Crimson deserve to go first. Not only are those bands all better (my personal opinion only) but they predate Rush and Rush probably wouldn't exist in the same form without them.

They may pre-date Rush, but the fact is that they're not the multi-gold and platinum selling, stadium selling-out, chart-topping bands here and now. Rush were and still are because they have more or less consistently produced good music right from the 70s until now. Better still, they've produced good PROG music, creating a hardcore fanbase in the process. Meanwhile the likes of many other prog bands largely faded away or were at least diminished over time.

I'm actually a fan of all the bands you've mentioned so don't think I'm some Rush fanboy.
                  Originally Posted by Motorik

[Prog rockers are] all babes. It's like the Miss World contest, but with sudden changes of time-signature.

Comment

From the second article:

Rolling Stone publisher/Rock Hall co-founder Jann Wenner’s empire once published in a record guide a description of singer Geddy Lee’s voice as sounding like “a cross between Donald Duck and Robert Plant.” It awarded the band’s “A Farewell to Kings” zero stars, which was defined in the book as being “Worthless. Records that need never (or should never) have been created.” So there’s a history between the two camps.

The RnRHOF has officially become a joke. As has Rolling Stone. Everyone trying to dry hump the memory of Lester Bangs.

22 consecutive gold records and they are a ROCK band, but hey let's give Donna Summer her due.

There aren't enough

At least change the name to the "Pop Music Mall Of Publicity Handjobs". It'd be much more accurate.
                    "Be regular and orderly in your life so that you may be violent and original in your work" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by PhilGould
                      View Post

They may pre-date Rush, but the fact is that they're not the multi-gold and platinum selling, stadium selling-out, chart-topping bands here and now.

Not really a requirement and nor should it be. Jeff Beck for example is in twice(Yardbirds/Slolo) and rightfully so and his record sales are always low. As far as the genre goes, definitely Jethro Tull first then we'll discuss Rush and the rest.
                      "If Obama wins a second term I will leave the forum". - Visconti

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Alndln2
                        View Post

Not really a requirement and nor should it be. Jeff Beck for example is in twice(Yardbirds/Slolo) and rightfully so and his record sales are always low. As far as the genre goes, definitely Jethro Tull first then we'll discuss Rush and the rest.

Because Jeff has wrote so many great songs! I can't count all the times i have danced to all the great songs off of Flash.
                        Lead me to your door. (yeah yeah yeah yeah)

“Say, can I have some of your purple berries Yes, I’ve been eating them for six or seven weeks now Haven't got sick once Prob’ly keep us both alive”=CS&N and to a lesser extent Y.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr
                          View Post

From the second article:

Rolling Stone publisher/Rock Hall co-founder Jann Wenner’s empire once published in a record guide a description of singer Geddy Lee’s voice as sounding like “a cross between Donald Duck and Robert Plant.” It awarded the band’s “A Farewell to Kings” zero stars, which was defined in the book as being “Worthless. Records that need never (or should never) have been created.” So there’s a history between the two camps.

The RnRHOF has officially become a joke. As has Rolling Stone. Everyone trying to dry hump the memory of Lester Bangs.

22 consecutive gold records and they are a ROCK band, but hey let's give Donna Summer her due.

There aren't enough

At least change the name to the "Pop Music Mall Of Publicity Handjobs". It'd be much more accurate.

Let me guess what his take on Metal Machine Music or anything by The Replacements was. "Brilliant, back to the basics, ground breaking, breath taking, blah ****************ing blah. Sorry chumps, i read Cream as a teen. No sale here. AC/DC was also looked at by the music intelligentsia of Cream writers as being the worst thing that could happen to rock music. It didn't have the grey matter of Patti Smith. Same with Black Sabbath and of course Zappa was nothing more than 'poo poo humor". I hope to God Rush blows this off if they are deemed worthy to get in. Does anyone under the age of 65 and with a brain actually GO to The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame? And why? Good hot dogs? Reprints of the No Nukes T -shirts? Hand jobs by David Crosby? Is the Fall in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame? Can?
                          Lead me to your door. (yeah yeah yeah yeah)

“Say, can I have some of your purple berries Yes, I’ve been eating them for six or seven weeks now Haven't got sick once Prob’ly keep us both alive”=CS&N and to a lesser extent Y.

Comment

I don't think Randall Roberts understands what the word "Fame" means. And if he's willing to act as though Geddy's voice disqualifies them, he's just a ****************ing dick. There are plenty of singers at least equally as annoying that have been inducted (Lou Reed comes to mind, among others).

Rush have always said "**************** you" to those who tried to compromise their artistic vision, and that is especially commendable in the era in which they've operated as a band. The fact that they have had great success while doing that puts them ahead of everyone on the nomination list this year, in my opinion.
                            "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Comment

Two things that are totally irrelevant - rock critics and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I've never had any use for music critics. Music appeals to different people in different ways, and rock critics are wanna be musicians who sit on the sidelines and pretend they have important knowledge and opinions. I've got more respect for the 16 year old kid who writes his first awful song and puts it on youtube.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is even dumber. Self important people who think their opinions matter more than everyone else's, deciding to determine who was "most important" in rock history. It's a truckload of ****************, because a crock isn't big enough.

When I was younger, Rolling Stone published a book of album reviews (they may still do this, I could care less.) And it was fun to look at the reviews for the Doors records. Before the big "No One Here Gets Out Alive" Doors revival happened, RS bagged on the Doors records and rated them awful. Once they were the hip cool thing after the book came out, RS gave the records stellar reviews.

AS for Rush, people loved or hated them and still do. I was a Rush fan up through Moving Pictures and then they lost me. Now the band is touring a new album and playing 3 hour shows. And the decent seats are $90. Geddy Lee has half the vocal range he used to have and it's downright painful to hear him try to sing the old songs. But I respect those guys because aside from being monster musicians, they're still out there doing their thing.
                              ---
                              Richard MacLemale
                              My Website at www.richardmac.com

Comment

Working...
                              X