Getting your music featured in TV & Film?

MarcusTaylor

• Members

Hey guys,

A few weeks ago I wrote a post on The Music Void which got sent to a bunch of ASCAP members... which caused a flood of emails about how to get music featured in TV & Film, so I wrote a post sharing a few tips i've picked up, which I thought the community here may also find useful?

Here's a link http://www.themusiciansguide.co.uk/blog/02/five-ways-to-get-your-music-in-tv-and-film/

Anyone else have any good tips for getting songs featured in TV & Film?

• Members

I've had luck with some music libraries. However, keep in mind, most music libraries are owned by composers. So chances are the owners (and in-house composers) will get most the cream gigs. That being said, there are thousands of opportunities via music libraries. And some of the secondary gigs ain't bad at all. Your best chances in a library music is having an unusual product, otherwise you'll be competing with hundreds of thousands of other tracks. If you don't have an unusual product, minimal productions that set a variety of moods will probably be picked up more.

Libraries and their clients aren't interested much in artistic qualities. They want music that will work in their projects without being obtrusive.

There are different agreements (contracts) that one has to consider. Non-exclusive, exclusive, and semi- exclusive. Also some pay upfront licensing (sync fees), others only allow writers their PRO royalties. I'd avoid the latter, considering networks like Scripps (HGTV, Food Network, DIY Network, Cooking. Travel Channel) won't generally pay PRO royalties. So in essence, without the sync fee the composer will be left out in the cold. Even with a sync fee agreement, in gratis deals/ blankets, the composer still won't receive upfront money.

Make sure you understand the contract your signing. A lot a variables from library to library.

Considering there are about a thousand cable/satellite/broadcast channels that need music 24/7 in the USA alone, the music library can provide many opportunities for composers. BUT BEWARE...

John :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I place tracks through youlicense.com, musicdealers.com and my own site mostly. I have gotten forwards and a contract once from taxi. Music on hold and corporate/small business video music is really where it is at. Trouble is always marketing and getting roi on advertising, seo is really the only way to make headway for a small guy, but the marketplace is crowded in the serps now.

• Members

For example thru this synching service, or any other similar service:

http://www.emimusicpub.com/

this and similar syncing services worldwide are the places where advertising companies and movie directors go to select songs for their productions, they also call record companies directly. Other then that, you participate in a lottery.

The synching services for video producer and TV program material producer are another source of income.

There are dozen of websites where video producers buy their soundtracks every day.

Archived