Promotional Ideas... QR Codes.

• Members

I don't know if anyone has implemented this, but, I've started putting "QR Codes" on all my band flyers. People with smart phones can just scan the code on the poster, and it takes them directly to my bandcamp site (http://somnistatic.bandcamp.com). I've already seen increased traffic to my site, and have even gotten a few more sales out of it. I've also generated a code to put on my acoustic guitar, that says "Tweet Me". When people scan that code, it automatically tweets on their account "I'm watching Matt from @Somnistatic rock out right now!" along with the url to my music. It has worked out pretty well so far. Has anyone else tried this?

Here's an example of my flyers:

7795082514_79ed5db9d5_b.jpg

• Members

I'm pretty skeptical about the value of QR codes, but if they work for you, then by all means keep doing them.

It looks like you're following general best practices with the codes: you have an alternate human readable link, a big old "scan it" call to action, and a relatively large area for the code compared to how much data is there. I didn't follow the code, so I dunno if you're doing two other "good practices": using a URL shortener and sending people to QR-code-only pages that you can track in google analytics.... I mean, theoretically you can get really granular and tell which set of flyers people are coming from.

However, while I will put QR on stuff on print things I have made, I don't think that there is a whole lot of value there beyond the "I'm hip and with it in my marketing". In the area wehre I am at, it doesn't have good penetration: people simply aren't aware or have the proper software installed on their phones. Also, a lot of people would find it faster to, say, open up mobile safari and type in your address than to open a QR app, have it read your address, and then have it open safari and and put the address in the bar.

And IMO, that's the real value in a QR code: if it is easier than getting someone to type in a long URL (like, say, one to a specific deep landing page or to an online service) then there is value. Otherwise spend more time on graphic design, because all it usually is is another visual design element.

• Moderators

the drawback I discovered about QR codes is they work on mobile phones, and typically direct you to a website that is heavily loaded with data. If you are not on an unlimited data plan...ZAP...also, at least on my phone, the audio quality is...piss-poor, so I don't listen to music on it. The trick, I think is to have hte code link to a very specific point on a web site, not a home page, and not one with a lot of extraneous info.

• Members

Many entertainment products, music, video, magazines in Asia have the QR code. Also fashion, cloth and so on use this code.

This code is a promotional tool which leads the reader to additional information. But unfortunately also to total wrong places where your iPhone or Android stops working.

• Members

the drawback I discovered about QR codes is they work on mobile phones, and typically direct you to a website that is heavily loaded with data. If you are not on an unlimited data plan...ZAP...also, at least on my phone, the audio quality is...piss-poor, so I don't listen to music on it. The trick, I think is to have hte code link to a very specific point on a web site, not a home page, and not one with a lot of extraneous info.

I've tested out my link on my android tablet, my friends iphones and androids, and everything seems to load quickly. The code sends you directly to my music page and you can just click to play any of the songs. I've found that a lot of people like to play around with it, so it's working out pretty well so far. The biggest issue now is, bands in my area are catching on, and using the code too, so, eventually people will just ignore it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived