I need to get signed ASAP

VladM

• Members

I'm a mostly self taught outsider to the industry. I'm dirt poor and I have no other life to choose. The day job market is too competitive for my tastes... but don't think twice, it's alright:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My catalog has 65 songs in it. 2 albums ready for recording. I'm not just gonna let the cat out of the bag. It takes time to get discovered these days.

I can write a new song in like 10-15 minutes. A record label has to prove to me that they are good enough to carry my catalog.

I think the label has to prove itself just as much as the artist. Just like an employer has to prove themselves to the employee. It works both ways.

If I were out in the job market I would need an employer who would guarantee me a living wage after 40 intense hours of work every single week. The employer needs to prove to me that I can survive if I commit to that particular employer. A living wage for one adult is about $15/hour in this economy. To save up for a family it takes two adults making over $20/hr each. I need the guarantee that I will survive on my own if I commit to an employer. So far the best guarantee I've had was $9.50 per hour and I'm sorry but that's just not a living wage in 2012. That's not good enough. The job market is failing me. I can do more with my time than work for $9.50 per hour, come home exhausted from physical labor, and repeat like this forever with no hope for a raise or promotion.

• Members

My catalog has 65 songs in it. 2 albums ready for recording. I'm not just gonna let the cat out of the bag. It takes time to get discovered these days.

I can write a new song in like 10-15 minutes. A record label has to prove to me that they are good enough to carry my catalog.

I think the label has to prove itself just as much as the artist. Just like an employer has to prove themselves to the employee. It works both ways.

If I were out in the job market I would need an employer who would guarantee me a living wage after 40 intense hours of work every single week. The employer needs to prove to me that I can survive if I commit to that particular employer. A living wage for one adult is about $15/hour in this economy. To save up for a family it takes two adults making over $20/hr each. I need the guarantee that I will survive on my own if I commit to an employer. So far the best guarantee I've had was $9.50 per hour and I'm sorry but that's just not a living wage in 2012. That's not good enough. The job market is failing me. I can do more with my time than work for $9.50 per hour, come home exhausted from physical labor, and repeat like this forever with no hope for a raise or promotion.

All very nice, only I never heard any of your song,

A letter of approval stating that we are worthy to market your song catalogue is on the way to you.

• Members

Yeah the reality that the job market is brutal for 20-somethings and there seems to be no hope in sight. When one of the presidential candidates made his fortune outsourcing American jobs overseas you know this country is doomed to fail.

I had a chance at a job but they chose an illegal who knew no English. I'm serious. The illegal did not speak any English and he had to train me. I was out-producing him after two weeks. They choose illegals, not me. The employers chose.

No, they're not "undocumented workers" they are indeed illegal aliens who invaded America as an army of one and now they're sabotaging the nation. I'm an immigrant but I came the correct way. I should be employed making money but there's an illegal working my job instead. No joke.

For a 24 year old man with no obligations tying him down, it is much easier to break into the music business doing stuff online than it is to break into full time employment. That is reality.

I don't care much for stable family life and I don't want to be rich. I might as well try music.

• Members

We're being punked, right?

VladM punks himself with every word he posts no person other than himself want to hear.

He posted just about everything a record company doesn't want in an artist, except his fabulous songs. It seems he feels the euphoric force of his youth, I understand that.

• Members

When I hit my 30's the creativity will die. All I'm saying is, it would be nice to have pro quality records while I still have the chance. Once the youth is gone that's it, it is a one way road. Once its gone, its gone and there's no getting it back. Past 30, its over. The youthful energy and creativity will disappear forever. I'm not naieve I know it doesn't last and once its gone, its gone for good. Nobody's youthful sparks last forever once they're gone the book is shut.

I think it is important to have pro quality records from one's youth. Once the youth is gone it is never, ever coming back no matter what.

• Members

Of course, nobody in their right mind actually believes this... [i've been wrong]

You know, record companies are kind of like Women. Just walk right up and ask if they will marry you. Tell them you think the market is too competitive to put in the effort and that you're dirt poor and need the support (they really love that part). Then, when they're begging you to put a ring on it, tell them that once you're 30, there will be no more drive. No spark. That'll really seal the deal!

• Members

Yeah, a legend in my own mind.
:D
I'd rather be an active composer,
than an inactive legend

I hope you can avoid the last completly,

you very likely would be the first composer who is active forever,

the Highlander wasn't composing, as far as I know

• Members

Huh!!!
:eek:
You're kidding me. I should have quit 33 years ago.

John
:cry:

As long as I don't get married or have kids it should stay alive. All I know is kids and marriage means death to the artist. History doesn't lie. People who have kids turn into workers and parents for 18 years and all free time is gone justlikethatover.

Then the kids grow up and they grow old themselves and then the mid-life crisis hits them hard and brutal. History doesn't lie.

Also buying a house is one thing that I must avoid at all costs. They don't call it mortgage just for no reason. Its a lifelong commitment to paying money to a bank until you're dead. It's the apartment lifestyle for me forever. Best way to die is alone, in your sleep, in your own apartment, on your own terms.

• Members

As long as I don't get married or have kids it should stay alive. All I know is kids and marriage means death to the artist.

Huh!!! I have children and have been married 43 years. As far as I know my composing has gotten better through the years. Marriage and children can be inspiring. Some of my best ideas have come from them.

John

• Moderators

Vlad, the reality is the record companies won't sign you until you have sold enough product on your own that you don't need them. :wave:

Plus the money/income stream for the artist is not in record sales anymore, it is the touring and merch sales... ;)

• Members

record companies sign artist when they are mainstream, when the product has a commercial value,

and about selling music ---> never before in the history of recorded music so many songs where sold as last year,

however the music industry is an idustrial dwarf, you better look for a job in the finance industry, but write a better letter of application then this thread

Archived