BMI or ASCAP?

• Members

I have had a real CD release a few years back but haven't had the time to call up either collection agencies. The label/music publishing that released it is with both collection agencies. Which is better? I know this will be a personal opinion but I haven't done much thinking as to which one I should sign up with. I understand a person/artist can only sign up with either one and not both at the same time, whichever they feel comfortable with. They both function similarly from what I know but which one give opportunities and that let it be known there is a call for specific songs instead of me looking for it? I know all about TAXI and their opportunities, etc. I'd like to have my songs recorded and released by well known names.

• Members

my understanding is that ASCAP has a broader span, but BMI has more 'aggressive' collections. It's really dead even when you weigh it out, unless you live in a region or state where musician royalties are taken very seriously, like California.. If I lived there, I would go with BMI. I signed on with ASCAP here in PA mostly because the artist I performed for and material I got royalties on was already signed up with ASCAP, so it made sense by proxy.

• Members

Unless you get a megahit out of your release, you are wasting your time and effort even considering associating yourself with either.

Until you get involved with others, and then they claim rights to it.

I was in a band in high school, each player wrote their parts, so the songs were essentially written by the band, the singer wrote his lyrics.

A year later, he wants to leave the band, and claims "well, since the only thing anyone cares about is lyrics, the songs are mine, so don't even try to play them without me." Everyone was baffled.

Luckily, we had copywritten the songs in our name.

• Members

IF there is actually money to collect, BMI is better, SESAC is best but you have to apply for membership with SESAC. Also, ASCAP is now charging to join. They are FUBAR as a company unless they are collecting for someone with substantial royalties. I'm BMI. You can be get paid for your live shows as well.

• Members

First off, I'm with ASCAP...

This debate of which organization pays better goes on and on. There's no way of knowing. Too many variables. One may be better for one artist and not as good for another (and visa-versa).

However, both collect approximately the same and both distribute approximately the same. ASCAP collects and distributes a smidgen more. But the percentage payment to members is very close.

2009 accounting: ASCAP distributed 863 million to 380 million members. Same year BMI distributed 788 million to 400 million members.

The last I checked ASCAP was in the lead with implementing digital fingerprinting into their system. Though SESAC is ahead of both ASCAP & BMI. I reckon it's human nature to favor organizations that we're members of...

John:cool:

• Members

I went with BMI in the mid-90s simply because I liked the way the folks in their Nashville office treated me when I went in for information. I mean, I was a nobody. Still am for that matter. I've no idea whether I would get the same treatment today but I've had no reason to complain so I'm still with them.

• Moderators

Unless you get a megahit out of your release, you are wasting your time and effort even considering associating yourself with either.

I pretty much agree with that.

I'm with BMI, and they have this new (to me at least) "self reporting" thing where when you play a venue you report that to them and they supposedly collect the performance royalties from the venue. I wonder how the venues will react to this. :eek:

Terry D.

• Members

I pretty much agree with that.

I'm with BMI, and they have this new (to me at least) "self reporting" thing where when you play a venue you report that to them and they supposedly collect the performance royalties from the venue. I wonder how the venues will react to this.
:eek:

Terry D.

Probably the venue won't ever have you back. :D

John:cool:

Archived