Successful independent artist

• Members

I had never heard of him until I read a story in a trucker magazine. Some Guy named Colt Ford from Georgia. He has sold over 2 million downloads (SOLD), and 800,000 CDs. He apparently now has an independent label with half a dozen artists.

Have any of you heard of him? It is amazing to me that artists can do so well in niche markets without common exposure. I have heard many stories of artists doing 20,000 or so CDs - the guy who writes for ship captains or the gal who sings for breast cancer survivors, etc. This a whole different level.

Do you know of any other "unknown" independents that have done this well? Do you think the realities of the market will change Mr. Ford into just another big label?

oldMattB

• Members

Average Joes Entertainment did the Terry D. method !!!

:lol:

- There are many indie artist who sell as much or more then Colt Ford. Successful "indie" artist have most often a national career, and no international market.

For setting up international sales and career, youtube, facebook, myspace, twitter, amazon and iTunes are not enough.

• Moderators

never heard of Colt Ford...I do remember Dodge Colt though ;)

years ago, a record company 'exec' of my acquaintance said that 'successful independent artist' was an oxymoron...so apparently time has proved he was wrong..:thu:

• Members

You haven't been proven wrong.

'Independent artist' means only he is not with a large record company, but with a small one. Apart from that it is a faux-pas word - I would call it a nonsense from an international point of view, and since all smaller label need distribution worldwide if they wanna promote their artists on the whole globe

• Members

Our soundman just did a month with Colt (we got him back last week for the summer).

Colt has a very large live following and almost zero radio presence,

It feels a little like Zac Brown band 4 years ago (everywhere we went kids were talking about and listening to Zac Brown....but we had never heard of them). Looks like Average Joe is modeled after Ani DeFranco's example.

people that love him are sold on him, almost like a cult

Cult Ford

• Members

Colt calls himself a recitation or talking country artist -- he writes songs that can be called country rap, and often gets big Nashville stars to sing the choruses. Jason Aldean has a big hit with one of his sons now, and CMT does occasionally play his videos. The only other country rap artist I'm aware of is Big & Rich protege Cowboy Troy.

I know what you're thinking... Country + Rap = Crap.

:facepalm:

Sorry about that...

Archived