And The Worst Singer Wins Idol...

• Members

It's a TV show. Not an audition to get into Juliard.

Winning means nothing really anyway. The prize is a record deal. Well, both of them will certainly get one as will likely 2 or 3 others. The other prize is the exposure from being on TV for mulitple weeks. Both got that and a few others got plenty as well.

Whatever cache might have once existed to having an "American Idol Winner" sticker on your CD is long gone. So now it's up to the record company to see if they can put together a decent record with any of them that people will want to listen to/buy. For what it's worth, I thought Philliip's original song was much better than Jessica's.

You seem to be pretty bothered that the results of this show don't match your own opinion, though.

• Members

14 year old little girls pick the winner. Dave Matthews Clone. Typical.

And you actually watch that show? I'll admit the audition rounds are fun to watch because they put the morons on tv but I'm embarrassed just replying on a thread about that show. :facepalm:

• Moderators

I don't know if 'worst applies', I don't watch idol anymore...and never was a real fan. I liked Simon Cowell, because he could be a total prick, and get away with it, and he had Paula as an easy target...that was the show to me, the rest was window dressing ;)

From what I heard, they have no idea what will sell anymore anyway...look at the judges...dinosaurs, all.

Looking for the next big thing with one foot in teh grave won't work...

Get Puffy, Snoop, Dre and Latifah in there...wait, no, they are past their primes too...they need judges who know what will sell to today's music buying public...as if...:rolleyes:

• Moderators

One wonders what would happen if they brought all 11 winners back on the show, plus the 11 runners-up, and ran the entire process on them again, who would really wind up winning? Because let's face it, the winners were as dependent on the producer's demands, judging and their competiton every season. I frankly do not believe the viewer voting is a factor at all, just a big con betwen the producers and AT&T. if it were, wouldn't they do the whole Price-Waterhouse envelope routine?

• Members

And you actually watch that show? I'll admit the audition rounds are fun to watch because they put the morons on tv but I'm embarrassed just replying on a thread about that show.
:facepalm:

I have to admit, I'm a bit fascinated with people who go out of their way to express their dislike for a show they claim to not watch. You're "embarrassed" to even be replying on a thread about it? Yet you did. And did so in order to proclaim that you are somehow superior for not watching it.

Not being critical of you---I just find that an odd phenomenon. It seems to exist mostly with musicians who somehow feel a need to be 'above' TV shows such as this.

• Members

By comparison, America's Got Talent has marketed itself as the alternative to the 'only singers can be stars' type of mentality...with Howard Stern mentioning that it's nice to see more then singing and dancing.

Given all the comical 'joke' acts, where many of the acts are nothing more then Gong Show interludes to get to the real talent, you have to just wonder if it's just about what the audience digs, so the judges go along with that. Maybe Idol is just that as well..it's not really about talent, but giving the person with the most audience buzz the record contract, hence to actually sell records, hence to make money...which in the end, is what it's all about.

• Members

Maybe Idol is just that as well..it's not really about talent, but giving the person with the most audience buzz the record contract, hence to actually sell records, hence to make money...which in the end, is what it's all about.

I think that's the goal, anyway. Clearly they are going to sell a few records off the whoever-is-the-winner regardless. If a couple of the contestants go on to become Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood or Daughtry--so much the better. And having true real-world success stories adds to the shows overall cred. (Simon Cowell has stated before that the best thing that ever happened to the show was Kelly Clarkson. Having the first season's winner go on to become a big star was huge for the show.) But, the other side of that coin is it's a single-season contest show that repeats every year. It's no more critical to the integrity of the show that Phillip Phillips goes on to big success than it is if the winner of this season's Top Chef goes on to open a hugely successful restaurant. A bunch of people compete, we watch, they pick a winner, it's over and then on to next season.

What people forget is that it's the CONTROVERSY that fuels these shows to a large degree. If there was an obivious "best singer" that won every season and all the contestants finished in the order of some objective measure of their singing ability--there would BE no "show". The "show" comes about when people agree with judges' and audiences' decisions and comments; when there are "controversial" desicions about who gets sent home and who doesn't and everyone bitching about how lame the winner is.

"Conflict" is at the heart of every TV/movie script ever written. Screenwriting 101 will teach you that you need some sort of "conflict" in every scene. Reality TV is no different.

• Members

I dont watch the show anymore and knew nothing about this season. I'd have to say it's pretty refreshing to hear that tune "Home" though (i just youtubed this Philips guy) instead of the trash that people are attempting to write too often these days. I don't even think the song is that well written so I'm contradicting myself a little but..

• Members

lol @ people who think American Idol is about having the ability to sing...Most people I have seen on this show are karaoke singers at best.

Being able to sing very well is not really what this show is about. It's about marketing a whole "package". Sure you have those homely oddity's like Susan Boyle but most of these idol judges are looking at the whole package for example age, looks, charisma, dance moves, style of dress etc... are FAR more important in that business than actual singing talent.

Of course it doesn't help when they allow 14 yr old girls to call in and "vote" for who's best....:facepalm:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I actually thought the Phillip guy was fine. I'm going to admit, I'm a big Dave fan, and that being said, I would hardly call him a clone. Yes, he takes a ridiculous amount of inspiration from Dave Matthews, but so do 95% of other artists. Every "original" artist I hear, I can hear inspirations of other artists somewhere in there.

With that being said, I thought - clone or not - that Phillip was an extremely refreshing change from the typical top-40s pop trash that usually comes from that show. There's usually 1 singer each year that stands out as not sounding like everyone else on stage, and this year, I thought they did well to actually let that person win.

I stopped watching that crap years ago, even then it was pretty casual viewing.

And we're all very proud of you and those like you who have chosen to make such a powerful stand against crap TV shows.

• Members

I could never judge a show like that. One of my favorite singers was Jimmy Durante. Terrible voice, but he could sure bring the song home. Listen, and tell me I'm wrong - just try: http://music.yahoo.com/jimmy-durante/tracks/ Seems most the singers on American Idol type shows don't have a signature voice. Too busy with hitting that high note.

John

• Members

Agreed. The girl is like 16 years old and can sing. But the show lost me this year. I was a fan until this year because I hung out with my daughter and we watched together . I also enjoyed seeing people realize their dream. Too many singing contest shows now.

If you sing better then this young girl Sanchez, you're a made man

Archived