It's a Brave New Music Industry

• Members

It occurred to me that everything about the way you used to go about "Making it" has changed. I tuned into the Voice this season and I came to realize that a real and valid way to get a record deal and into the public's eyes these days are these singing competition shows. All the finalists seem to get deals and many have gone on to varying degrees of success. It truly is a real and valid launching pad. Social networking, Youtube, singing competitions...It's a brave new Music industry and it bares very little resemblance to the one I grew up in but rather than piss and moan about it, I accept it. Change is the only constant isn't it?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

ah, it's easier to piss and moan, though...;)

truth is though, that these competitions are so easily manipulated, one has to wonder if we just replaced record company executives with TV executives? Not to say that that is not part of the probable evolutionary scene, like landlines, the yellow pages, etc., are now things of the past like the buggy whip...

• Members

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, but the reality is, with these singing competition shows, the success rate is the same as it is in the entire biz at large. I mean, face it- these people have the biggest promo machines the world has ever seen, the most exposure of anyone in history (AI contestants are on a show that gets 4 to 6 hours a week primetime) and the most help (who else gets free advice and coaching from Jimmy Iovine and guest artists?) and they still have about a 20% success rate, same as anyone else who signs with a label. And the winners rarely do as well as the runners-up.

• Members

and they still have about a 20% success rate, same as anyone else who signs with a label. And the winners rarely do as well as the runners-up.

All true, though these programmes aren't about the music at all really, it's just another thing for the bigwigs to hang their "reality TV" hat on.

• Members

All true, though these programmes aren't about the music at all really,

Most of the music business isn't about the music. It's about sales, branding, ancillary products and any other way to generate revenue. If any of it was really about music, people like Derek Trucks and Tommy Emmanuel would be big stars and people would be saying "Lady Who?"

• Members

I can't tell if you're being facetious or not, but the reality is, with these singing competition shows, the success rate is the same as it is in the entire biz at large. I mean, face it- these people have the biggest promo machines the world has ever seen, the most exposure of anyone in history (AI contestants are on a show that gets 4 to 6 hours a week primetime) and the most help (who else gets free advice and coaching from Jimmy Iovine and guest artists?) and they still have about a 20% success rate, same as anyone else who signs with a label. And the winners rarely do as well as the runners-up.

I never said you are guaranteed any better odds that you had in the old days but that going on those shows HAS become a viable way to "make it" today.

Any of them in the top 4 or so, get deals and have as much chance as the other's of breaking.

• Members

I never said you are guaranteed any better odds that you had in the old days but that going on those shows HAS become a viable way to "make it" today.

Any of them in the top 4 or so, get deals and have as much chance as the other's of breaking.

True. It has become a way to get into the biz.

I'd like to see a songwriting version. My problem with the singing competition is that people who can sing well are a dime a dozen. I don't mean that everyone can sing well. I mean that there are people who can sing as good as most on that show within 5 miles of my house. Holding people up on a pedestal and pretending they're "world class talent" is like me going down to the beach, finding a sea shell, and holding a press conference. But obviously as stated above it's not about music - it's a reality TV show, really.

The focus, too, on just the singing element... 90% of the singers in my CD collection wouldn't win American Idol.

Actually, it's more like a game show than reality TV.

But yes, it is definitely a way to get signed, if you're a certain type of singer.

• Members

I agree, but it's hardly new. Star Search type shows go back at least 40 years that I know of. That's how Sawyer Brown made it.

• Members

I may have purchased a CD or two of American Idol alum back when it was new and still sort of a novelty...hard to believe that show is a decade old now.

I also think The Voice is an excellent show, though I have to admit this season lost me with all of the drama...I hope they can get it back on track.

Even though I am impressed with the singing and performing talent of some of the contestants...I agree, there has to be something more to them for me to want to own any of their music. A lot of people are good singers, but for me to be interested, they either need to prove that they are more than just major record company product, or they have to come out with a single or two that is just irresistable...both rarely ever seem to happen.

Not all of these contestants become superstars, but I think it's probably safe to say that virtually all of the contenders on these shows are in a better position than they were before going in. That sort of publicity, you can't really get any other way.

• Members

I'm Auditioning for The Voice. I'm signed up and when the dates arive I'll get my Audition pass for Memphis...I used to tour around the same places as 3rd place finisher Tony Lucca and have met him a few times, been following his music career for about 10 years. Seeing him do so well this year has convinced me to at least attempt it. Why not? :)

• Members

Go for it, man.

My wife watches that show. I think there are many ways to get noticed, and that's a really big one. I'd imagine there's lots of competition to get those slots. I wouldn't be at all discouraged if you don't get selected - they are probably looking for a wide range of characters, and singing voice is no doubt just one of the elements they're looking for.

• Members

I used to tour around the same places as 3rd place finisher Tony Lucca and have met him a few times, been following his music career for about 10 years. Seeing him do so well this year has convinced me to at least attempt it. Why not?
:)

I will say that the whole situation with Tony was part of the reason this season made me uncomfortable. He became such a controversial and polarizing character on the show for no apparent reason...I only hope that was how he chose to be portrayed (in which case I find it a remarkably shrewd decision on his part) and not just a cheap ploy by the producers of the show to bring in more ratings. The show did give him more name recognition for the moment (I personally had never heard of him until the show), which I suppose was part of the aim, but what effect it will have on his career long term remains to be seen.

That's the downside of going on these shows...you're always at the mercy of the producers and whatever they choose to do with you. It's one of the things that always made me a little queasy about American Idol...especially in the audition rounds, where they purposely make the contestants look foolish (some of them didn't need much help, but still...) I don't know how much say they give the contestants in controlling their own image, but I only know that if it were me, I would be very uncomfortable being portrayed in such a light.

I don't know...maybe the fact that I would ever consider this to be an issue is why I'll never have a career in music...but it just seems to me as though you have to be ready and willing to put fame ahead of dignity a lot of times.

But if Tony's career gets a bump out of this controversy, then good for him. I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone their success, considering how difficult it is to achieve.

Best of luck to you too, man...I know you've been working harder at this than most of us can claim, so yeah...let's just say I'll be watching for ya next season. :)

• Members

I will say that the whole situation with Tony was part of the reason this season made me uncomfortable. He became such a controversial and polarizing character on the show for no apparent reason...I only hope that was how he chose to be portrayed (in which case I find it a remarkably shrewd decision on his part) and not just a cheap ploy by the producers of the show to bring in more ratings. The show did give him more name recognition for the moment (I personally had never heard of him until the show), which I suppose was part of the aim, but what effect it will have on his career long term remains to be seen.

That's the downside of going on these shows...you're always at the mercy of the producers and whatever they choose to do with you. It's one of the things that always made me a little queasy about American Idol...especially in the audition rounds, where they purposely make the contestants look foolish (some of them didn't need much help, but still...) I don't know how much say they give the contestants in controlling their own image, but I only know that if it were me, I would be very uncomfortable being portrayed in such a light.

I don't know...maybe the fact that I would ever consider this to be an issue is why I'll never have a career in music...but it just seems to me as though you have to be ready and willing to put fame ahead of dignity a lot of times.

But if Tony's career gets a bump out of this controversy, then good for him. I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone their success, considering how difficult it is to achieve.

Best of luck to you too, man...I know you've been working harder at this than most of us can claim, so yeah...let's just say I'll be watching for ya next season.
:)

Tony had nothing to do with that..That was XTina saying some harsh stuff and obviously Adam and her had a huge feud going on about it all....Tony was caught in the middle...Go check out his original material. Very strong and he's put out a lot of albums in a bunch of different styles over the years. He's a real talent, not just a voice but writer, performer etc.....

I used to think these shows were stupid Karaoke contests but after being here in Nashville for the last year and seeing who gets signed and promoted as opposed to the people out there who REALLY can sing, write, play perform, I realize this is just a business and it's about who you know mostly. That in turn determines who knows you and wants to help you (for their benefit as well)...At this point I'm just looking to try to make a living in this business...THAT'S ALL! 41 years old and no other skills but music, and video stuff so it's all in for me. :) I don't have nor have I ever had another job or career and I don't care to get one just so I can pay bills and be miserable and broke. That's not in the cards for me. If I'm going to be broke it's going to be playing guitar on the beach somewhere...I'll save that possibility for 10 years from now though...

• Members

It's a brave new Music industry and it bares very little resemblance to the one I grew up in but rather than piss and moan about it, I accept it. Change is the only constant isn't it?

So true about your observations that it is an entirely different beast than it used to be. The good thing though is I don't think reality tv shows are even the tip of the iceberg. There are so many new and different ways to be successful than there used to be. It's sort of choose your own adventure based on what you define is success to you. Maybe you don't want to be signed or make it mainstream. Maybe you have different goals. And what's so great now is that you CAN have different goals, and sometimes even using these differences as part of your story will gather attention and attract followers. With or without being on a show, with or without getting signed. The big wigs aren't as in control of things as they like to think they are...

• Members

So true about your observations that it is an entirely different beast than it used to be. The good thing though is I don't think reality tv shows are even the tip of the iceberg. There are so many new and different ways to be successful than there used to be. It's sort of choose your own adventure based on what you define is success to you. Maybe you don't want to be signed or make it mainstream. Maybe you have different goals. And what's so great now is that you CAN have different goals, and sometimes even using these differences as part of your story will gather attention and attract followers. With or without being on a show, with or without getting signed. The big wigs aren't as in control of things as they like to think they are...

And yet more and more people are going back to what they did in the 1950s and 60s- playing clubs both with bands and as duos and solos, getting week night work, cutting singles, getting local airplay and booking in odd venues that don't normally have music- bowling alleys, pizzerias, house parties...the more things change, the more they stay the same.

• Members

And the winners rarely do as well as the runners-up.

That's probably simply a function of the fact that there are a lot more runners-up than there are winners. I certainly don't buy into the theory that winning actually hurts any of these people.

But, at the end of the day, they are singing contests and they are judged by people who watch and call in to vote. As we all know, being the best singer doesn't necessarily equate to being successful in the record business and being a contestant on a TV show voted on by (probably) mostly teenage girls and housewives doesn't necessarily mean that much either.

Having said that, I think American Idol stepped it up a notch by adding Jimmy Iovine to the show who, is not only the guy who runs the record company that will sign them, but still seems to have a great ear and eye for what works and what doesn't in the business.

• Members

Tony had nothing to do with that..That was XTina saying some harsh stuff and obviously Adam and her had a huge feud going on about it all....

Yeah, apparently that whole argument over Tony using (or not using) the word "bitch" in the song he sang began during the day's rehearsals and Adam and Christina got in a big fight over it that carried over onto the live show. Bad for Tony (maybe) but good TV nonetheless.

Although it seemed to me that she had it out for that guy pretty early on. Weird that she didn't seem to recognize him during the audition, then at least pretended to be glad to see him again and meet his family, and then pretty much crapped on every performance he gave after that. I don't know if he pulled her hair once-too-many times during their Mickey Mouse Club days or what...but it was pretty clear she doesn't like him much.

• Members

Not really. It's because the winners are decided by popular vote, which often has little to do with talent.

Like I said, that's a factor, but I think that applies to all of the contestants. But if you look at a show like American Idol, I don't think there's been any fewer big successeswho finished 1st than there were who finished 2nd or 3rd or 4th or any other specific placing. It just SEEMS like there haven't been as many winners who did well because there have only been 10 of those while there have been 40 who finished 2nd through 5th.

Archived