Where do you sell your music online?

420ven

• Members

Where is a good, trustworthy place you could sell your music at? That's fairly popular obviously.

Tell me about the place, can you choose price? 'cause my first album i just finished, i wanna sell for only £2 ($3.22).

Now i'm working on a mixtape, that i wanna sell for free, preferably on the same website.

Thanks in advance

• Members

Sell it via as many digital sales portal as possible, there are about 300 digital sales portal worldwide which are for the artist of financial interest.

Spotify, Symfy and similar net radio and sales portals are financially of near zero interest for the authors. For example Spotify pays 0.15 cent per stream, but their business model is illegal in most countries, because they have no agreement with the authors societies, refuse to pay faitr shares to the authors. When the artist sells 1 physical album with 13 songs on the CD, he makes about €3.00 EURO, and about $6.00 on iTunes, or more depending on the territory - when the same album gets streamed one time, he makes €0.02 (two cent) per song.

Lindvall of The Guardian reported that indie labels, as opposed to the majors, receive no advance, receive no minimum per stream, and only get a 50% share of ad revenue on a pro-rata basis, only, no artist I know ever received any of this money.

Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet reported that record label Racing Junior had only earned $3.00 USD, after their artists had been streamed over 55,100 times. An independent artist on Spotify would need over four million streams per month to earn $1,16 USD

• Members

Spotify sounds interesting, i knwo what it is but how do i go about selling my stuff from there? any ideas?

You can only hope that radio listeners want to own your music, this by either buying your CD, or buy the songs online.

That you as artist paying aa fee to such service, is criminal behaviour, or simply said, those services generate their profit with your fee in combination with charging a fee from the listeners and ad-banners. Some of this services made $100 million, and this without paying any royalties to the artists.

• Members

it's frustrating for the young artist whos name hardly anyone knows

you have only one alternativ for selling a larger amount of songs, signing an agreement with alabel which aggregates your music for digital sales portal. The sales portal itself do not accept music from artists directly, you need a label, for example a digital label such as Zebralution http://www.zebralution.com

• 1 year later...

Archived