Good schools for music industry/management?

2pacHendrix

• Members

Hey guys, I am currently attending K-State and they do not offer a program for any music business courses. So I am looking to transfer next semester or next year, but I am having a hard time figuring out which college I should choose. Of the ones I've researched, the most realistic is between MTSU and Minnesota State University-Mankato. I've also looked at Augsburg, NYU/SUNY, Drexel and Columbia College in Chicago, but all of those are a bit too pricey and exclusive. So my plan is to try and get a scholarship this semester so I can make a good chance for transferring, but I want to make sure I chose the right school and not transfer again. So in your guys' experience, what school do you think has the best music business program and offers knowledgeable insight to the industry?

• Members

In what department of the music business do you wanna work in?

Usually you start working for a entertainment company, and learn the craft from the ground up. We have no employee who studied this profession, I know two in our company who studied Multimedia, a relativ new curriculum.

• Members

In what department of the music business do you wanna work in?

Usually you start working for a entertainment company, and learn the craft from the ground up. We have no employee who studied this profession, I know two in our company who studied Multimedia, a relativ new curriculum.

Music Management and Merchandising. When my sister interned for a magazine in New York, she met this CEO of a promoting company where they advertise bands via this website. Hopefully she'll get me into contact with him so I can intern asap, but I'm not giving my hopes up. I've seen some college with that major and just a general 'music industry' major so I'm kind of confounded on how big a difference they are :idk:

But location is also another thing I'm looking at. NY, MN, CA and TN are prime locations that have quality music scenes going on.

• Moderators

save the effort. Get a business degree.

Intern with an entertainment related company.

Overly specific degrees are pretty useless, however it may seem...anything that restricts your ability to change paths works against you in the modern economy.

I know professional chemists with Eng Lit degrees...

In the old days any degree opened doors.

Still true today in many respects, but if you only learn one very specific thing, that's all anyone will see you as...why limit your options?

• Members

In the entertainment industry there are many specialiced job. On the music production side you possibly know all the dfiff'rent jobs from songwriter, arrangers, musicians, recording engineers, mixers, office jobs, studio managers, producers and so on.

On the marketing side there are way more specialized jobs, i.e. in publishing, content aggregating, legal jobs, digital and physical distribution, logistic centers, artist management, video, concert promotion, live sound and so on...

• Members

In the entertainment industry there are many specialiced job. On the music production side you possibly know all the dfiff'rent jobs from songwriter, arrangers, musicians, recording engineers, mixers, office jobs, studio managers, producers and so on.

On the marketing side there are way more specialized jobs, i.e. in publishing, content aggregating, legal jobs, digital and physical distribution, logistic centers, artist management, video, concert promotion, live sound and so on...

I'm looking for a quality production/arts/business school, is that too much to ask? :lol:

But like in Drexel and MTSU they have Student run radios/labels and their own recording studio on campus. I'm also interested in the production side of music as well as the business side

• Members

I had a look at the MTSU website. Some Universities have following art related Study Courses, departments:

Artistic Training

- Orchestral Instruments

- Keyboard Instruments

- Conducting Composition

- Church Music

- Sound Engineering (Sound Engineering is an eight semester course)

BA Arts

- Instrument/Voice

- Composition,

- Band

- Conducting

- Literary Writing

- Fine Art

- Conseravation, Restoration

- Communication Design

- Eurhythmics

Pedagogical Education

- School Music

- Diploma in Music Education

- Jazz Education (Master)

Further Education

- Musicology and Music Education (Doctoral Courses of Study)

- Choral Conducting

- Institute for the Advancement of Young Musicians

Further Education

- Art in Context

- Cultural Jounalism

- Leadership in Digital Communication

- Music Therapy

- Sound Studies / Acoustic Communication

- Theatre Education / Drama

Architecture, Media and Design

- Artistic Training Architecture Design (Product Design, Fashion Design)

- Visual Communication

- Communication in Social and Economic Contexts

- Art and Media (Experimental Media Design)

- Multimedia

This that you have an overview what study courses are available today.

About 10 years ago, all Universities went thru a reform, means that worldwide the studies and the curriculum are synchronized, are more or less the same. Also all universities worldwide changed to the BA MA system.

MTSU doesn't seem to have all of this art related department, is possibly specialized in other studies then music and art. The University where live has all this department. I am informed what it all is. So just ask your question, if you have any.

• Members

Just a short hop from Wichita.

I think there must be Art Universities in the US having this study courses. However I am not a believer in academic training in music, except for orchestral players. Composers and Soloist rather study privately.

However, Pop/Rock, Jazz and all other popular music forms, are art form for people who have the fundamental talent and urge in/to this field. An academic education would be counter-productive.

Business is a whole other thing - Here some detail about The University of St.Gallen (HSG), an education facility voted on international level being the leading university of economincs. An education facility located at the catholic arse of the world, but where 70% of the alimni have a high position job average 1 year before final degree. 5000 miles from Wichita, but full of Americans.

http://www.unisg.ch/en.aspx

• Members

2 of the best school are right near me. MTSU Recording Industry Program is the largest in the world! Belmont is also very highly regarded. I was in the program at MTSU part time but the problem I'm seeing is that the entire program is based on a way of doing business that is disappearing and no one there seems to understand the new systems that are replacing it. The students are educating the teachers so I dropped out. Better to understand the Generalities of Publishing, management, dist. etc etc and start really looking into where we are going, as opposed to the way it used to be done. Many many students were dropping out for the same reasons.

• Members

2 of the best school are right near me. MTSU Recording Industry Program is the largest in the world! Belmont is also very highly regarded. I was in the program at MTSU part time but the problem I'm seeing is that the entire program is based on a way of doing business that is disappearing and no one there seems to understand the new systems that are replacing it. The students are educating the teachers so I dropped out. Better to understand the Generalities of Publishing, management, dist. etc etc and start really looking into where we are going, as opposed to the way it used to be done. Many many students were dropping out for the same reasons.

The thing with such education facilities is, the teaching staff never worked in the industry, has no practical experience, are pure academics becoming professors right after the degree.

And money for real pro guest lecturer is not available.

The Sound Engineering department here did cost $240 million USD, dozens of Steinways and Bösendorfer grand, three concert hall on the campus, 110 miles glas fibre cable to every room, glass fibre cable to the theatre/drama department which is on another place 20 miles away, from every room in all building can directly be recorded to any of the recording studios, but still not one student knows how to put up a Blumlein pair, or a Decca Tree.

• Moderators

... still not one student knows how to put up a Blumlein pair, or a Decca Tree.

that is sad, although in today's digitized multitrack world, live stereo recording is often considered passe...personally, I prefer to record like that, (I actually want to record direct to disc) but I am an anachronism...

• Members

The thing with such education facilities is, the teaching staff never worked in the industry, has no practical experience, are pure academics becoming professors right after the degree.

And money for real pro guest lecturer is not available.

The Sound Engineering department here did cost $240 million USD, dozens of Steinways and Bösendorfer grand, three concert hall on the campus, 110 miles glas fibre cable to every room, glass fibre cable to the theatre/drama department which is on another place 20 miles away, from every room in all building can directly be recorded to any of the recording studios, but still not one student knows how to put up a Blumlein pair, or a Decca Tree.

Not at these schools. They are in our right outside Nashville and some of the most renoun in the world for Music Business. Most of the faculty have or are currently working in the biz and most of these students go on to work in the Nashville industry. It's the real deal and MTSU's studios are really really nice and modern.

• Members

Well, to be fair, the Nashville model only works because of the tech sophistication of the fans. That is, country music fans are more likely to listen to the radio, buy CDs, and attend concerts- Unlike rock and pop fans, who download freebies and shun terrestrial radio. And unlike the rock world, fame and notoriety is not anathema, it is embraced by the fans. Sort of the way the rest of the business worked until the internet. Will the Nashville model last? Maybe, maybe not. Country music always seems to be 10-15 years behind the curve in adapting social mores and methodology. I think the next ten years will tell the story for Nashville, if it's a sustainable model for the industry or simply the last man standing. I hope it's the former.

• Members

Same with hip hop. Most southern hip hop is played on the radios and marketed towards teenagers while that of MN, NY and the pacific-north-west is more 'conscious' and underground. I don't think I'm quite aware of how big a change the music industry is going through i suppose

• Members

Well, to be fair, the Nashville model only works because of the tech sophistication of the fans. That is, country music fans are more likely to listen to the radio, buy CDs, and attend concerts- Unlike rock and pop fans, who download freebies and shun terrestrial radio. And unlike the rock world, fame and notoriety is not anathema, it is embraced by the fans. Sort of the way the rest of the business worked until the internet. Will the Nashville model last? Maybe, maybe not. Country music always seems to be 10-15 years behind the curve in adapting social mores and methodology. I think the next ten years will tell the story for Nashville, if it's a sustainable model for the industry or simply the last man standing. I hope it's the former.

Hell no it ain't gonna last Pat. It's all going down. Radio, sales, etc..However concert attendance is still good in this market and I expect it to remain so. As I said, the "industry" is changing so much it didn't make sense for me to stay in the Recording Industry Program at MTSU because they are simply teaching a model that IS on it's way out. There is NO doubt about that and I and many of the students said as much to the professors who could only agree. It's THE BEST TIME EVER to be in the music industry or Publishing IF YOU ARE REALLY GOOD...The barriers to the exclusive club are crumbling with extreme speed and if you want to get out there it's possible. I know small indie publishers who are doing better than ever with a lot of small licensing deals. This is the direction i'm heading in as well and have had some placements in the last few months:) Still looking for some cuts or hits in the last dying years of that paradigm :)Any way i can get the door open, i'm sticking my BIG OL foot in it!!!..

• Members

It's THE BEST TIME EVER to be in the music industry or Publishing IF YOU ARE REALLY GOOD...

The barriers to the exclusive club are crumbling with extreme speed and if you want to get out there it's possible.

I know small indie publishers who are doing better than ever with a lot of small licensing deals.

Even if you are really GOOD; to be fair to the young music enthusiasts, I am surrounded by people who work in other industries, mining, commodity trade, zinc, market, copper market, grain market, one of my neighbour controls 3 percent in the internationally tradeable oil market. My family lives in the capital where 80% of the people work for the government, the city, the province or federal level, all very well payed jobs. What I wanna say is, we music people are small lights.

The "exclusive club" is still the same, but new player entered the market, and the new player have large marketing growth. For example, one of the large digital music distribution company founded in 2002, with offices on all continents, administers 350 label, all labels signed worldwide and exlusivelly to them. Another old so called major founded in 1923, signed in the last 5 years 300 of the newer labels which produce pop and have sales about 100 million songs per month, that's a monthly net turnover of only $10 million, a number a commodity trader makes in half n' hour or one minute.

Many of the new digital music distributor don't make publishing anymore, no ASCAP, no BMI, but direct payment to the copyright holder, songwriter/lyricist/producer. Mechanical are also payed directly to the IP owner.

So all in all it is still all the same as it was in the past, only the internet changed how music it transported to the end user. There is one thing new today, innovative enterpreneurs started digital distribution from 2001 on, mostly people out of the old marketing system, and they experience enormous growth.

Look at this theoretical model: Lets say Nestlé would give away a music album for every 500 sold Nespesso capsules, and Nestlé pays the copyright holder directly over the digital music distributor. That's pretty much how music marketing works today. Nestlé is only one example.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The University of Colorado Denver offers a degree in Music Industry Studies. Within the degree program, they offer a concentration in Music Business. A close friend successfully landed a job with the William Morris Agency after graduating from this program.

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/CAM/programs/meis/Pages/index.aspx

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/CAM/programs/meis/Pages/business.aspx

Archived