Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good schools for music industry/management?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good schools for music industry/management?

Hey guys, I am currently attending K-State and they do not offer a program for any music business courses. So I am looking to transfer next semester or next year, but I am having a hard time figuring out which college I should choose. Of the ones I've researched, the most realistic is between MTSU and Minnesota State University-Mankato. I've also looked at Augsburg, NYU/SUNY, Drexel and Columbia College in Chicago, but all of those are a bit too pricey and exclusive. So my plan is to try and get a scholarship this semester so I can make a good chance for transferring, but I want to make sure I chose the right school and not transfer again. So in your guys' experience, what school do you think has the best music business program and offers knowledgeable insight to the industry?
    GOOD DEALS LINK!
    Good Job Guys, Keep it up

I haven't lost faith but I misplaced my spirituality
    Hope an ocean is created whole relation to float in reality
    Cause now I'm trapped in the storms eye
    These heavy rains I can't handle
    Need to become a lighthouse instead of a flickering candle

In what department of the music business do you wanna work in?

Usually you start working for a entertainment company, and learn the craft from the ground up. We have no employee who studied this profession, I know two in our company who studied Multimedia, a relativ new curriculum.

Comment

The "School of Hard Knocks".

Good luck, John
      Stop analyzing; just compose the damn thing!

Comment

In what department of the music business do you wanna work in?

Usually you start working for a entertainment company, and learn the craft from the ground up. We have no employee who studied this profession, I know two in our company who studied Multimedia, a relativ new curriculum.

Music Management and Merchandising. When my sister interned for a magazine in New York, she met this CEO of a promoting company where they advertise bands via this website. Hopefully she'll get me into contact with him so I can intern asap, but I'm not giving my hopes up. I've seen some college with that major and just a general 'music industry' major so I'm kind of confounded on how big a difference they are
        But location is also another thing I'm looking at. NY, MN, CA and TN are prime locations that have quality music scenes going on.
        GOOD DEALS LINK!

Comment

save the effort. Get a business degree.
          Intern with an entertainment related company.
          Overly specific degrees are pretty useless, however it may seem...anything that restricts your ability to change paths works against you in the modern economy.
          I know professional chemists with Eng Lit degrees...
          In the old days any degree opened doors.
          Still true today in many respects, but if you only learn one very specific thing, that's all anyone will see you as...why limit your options?
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
          "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Today's music business is almost all marketing. If I was to get any degree and wanted to work in music, that's what I'd get.
            http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

In the entertainment industry there are many specialiced job. On the music production side you possibly know all the dfiff'rent jobs from songwriter, arrangers, musicians, recording engineers, mixers, office jobs, studio managers, producers and so on.

On the marketing side there are way more specialized jobs, i.e. in publishing, content aggregating, legal jobs, digital and physical distribution, logistic centers, artist management, video, concert promotion, live sound and so on...

Comment

In the entertainment industry there are many specialiced job. On the music production side you possibly know all the dfiff'rent jobs from songwriter, arrangers, musicians, recording engineers, mixers, office jobs, studio managers, producers and so on.

On the marketing side there are way more specialized jobs, i.e. in publishing, content aggregating, legal jobs, digital and physical distribution, logistic centers, artist management, video, concert promotion, live sound and so on...

I'm looking for a quality production/arts/business school, is that too much to ask?

But like in Drexel and MTSU they have Student run radios/labels and their own recording studio on campus. I'm also interested in the production side of music as well as the business side
                GOOD DEALS LINK!

Comment

I had a look at the MTSU website. Some Universities have following art related Study Courses, departments:

Artistic Training
                  - Orchestral Instruments
                  - Keyboard Instruments
                  - Conducting Composition
                  - Church Music
                  - Sound Engineering (Sound Engineering is an eight semester course)

BA Arts
                  - Instrument/Voice
                  - Composition,
                  - Band
                  - Conducting
                  - Literary Writing
                  - Fine Art
                  - Conseravation, Restoration
                  - Communication Design
                  - Eurhythmics

Pedagogical Education
                  - School Music
                  - Diploma in Music Education
                  - Jazz Education (Master)

Further Education
                  - Musicology and Music Education (Doctoral Courses of Study)
                  - Choral Conducting
                  - Institute for the Advancement of Young Musicians

Further Education
                  - Art in Context
                  - Cultural Jounalism
                  - Leadership in Digital Communication
                  - Music Therapy
                  - Sound Studies / Acoustic Communication
                  - Theatre Education / Drama

Architecture, Media and Design
                  - Artistic Training Architecture Design (Product Design, Fashion Design)
                  - Visual Communication
                  - Communication in Social and Economic Contexts
                  - Art and Media (Experimental Media Design)
                  - Multimedia

This that you have an overview what study courses are available today.

About 10 years ago, all Universities went thru a reform, means that worldwide the studies and the curriculum are synchronized, are more or less the same. Also all universities worldwide changed to the BA MA system.

MTSU doesn't seem to have all of this art related department, is possibly specialized in other studies then music and art. The University where live has all this department. I am informed what it all is. So just ask your question, if you have any.

Comment

what university do you live near that offers those programs?
                    GOOD DEALS LINK!

Comment

what university do you live near that offers those programs?

UDK Berlin
                      http://www.udk-berlin.de/sites/content/topics/home/index_eng.html

HKB Bern
                      http://www.hkb.bfh.ch/en/

ZHdK Zurich (2000 students in the art department)
                      http://www.zhdk.ch/?id=962

HFBK Hamburg
                      http://www.hfbk-hamburg.de/en/

And a donzen more.

Comment

UDK Berlin
                        http://www.udk-berlin.de/sites/content/topics/home/index_eng.html

HKB Bern
                        http://www.hkb.bfh.ch/en/

ZHdK Zurich (2000 students in the art department)
                        http://www.zhdk.ch/?id=962

HFBK Hamburg
                        http://www.hfbk-hamburg.de/en/

And a donzen more.

Just a short hop from Wichita.
                        http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

Just a short hop from Wichita.

I think there must be Art Universities in the US having this study courses. However I am not a believer in academic training in music, except for orchestral players. Composers and Soloist rather study privately.

However, Pop/Rock, Jazz and all other popular music forms, are art form for people who have the fundamental talent and urge in/to this field. An academic education would be counter-productive.

Business is a whole other thing - Here some detail about The University of St.Gallen (HSG), an education facility voted on international level being the leading university of economincs. An education facility located at the catholic arse of the world, but where 70% of the alimni have a high position job average 1 year before final degree. 5000 miles from Wichita, but full of Americans.

http://www.unisg.ch/en.aspx

Comment

2 of the best school are right near me. MTSU Recording Industry Program is the largest in the world! Belmont is also very highly regarded. I was in the program at MTSU part time but the problem I'm seeing is that the entire program is based on a way of doing business that is disappearing and no one there seems to understand the new systems that are replacing it. The students are educating the teachers so I dropped out. Better to understand the Generalities of Publishing, management, dist. etc etc and start really looking into where we are going, as opposed to the way it used to be done. Many many students were dropping out for the same reasons.

Comment

2 of the best school are right near me. MTSU Recording Industry Program is the largest in the world! Belmont is also very highly regarded. I was in the program at MTSU part time but the problem I'm seeing is that the entire program is based on a way of doing business that is disappearing and no one there seems to understand the new systems that are replacing it. The students are educating the teachers so I dropped out. Better to understand the Generalities of Publishing, management, dist. etc etc and start really looking into where we are going, as opposed to the way it used to be done. Many many students were dropping out for the same reasons.

The thing with such education facilities is, the teaching staff never worked in the industry, has no practical experience, are pure academics becoming professors right after the degree.

And money for real pro guest lecturer is not available.

The Sound Engineering department here did cost $240 million USD, dozens of Steinways and Bösendorfer grand, three concert hall on the campus, 110 miles glas fibre cable to every room, glass fibre cable to the theatre/drama department which is on another place 20 miles away, from every room in all building can directly be recorded to any of the recording studios, but still not one student knows how to put up a Blumlein pair, or a Decca Tree.

Comment

Working...
                              X