How Many Songs Do YOU think should be on an album?

sventvkg

• Members

So if your making music for people that can tell you what "Bum Equipment" is you gotta come up with some corny ass filter and bite the bullet and put out some 12-song LP. That's what that kind audience still expects.

If you are making for music for people that have full-hairlines and aren't tired of balling the same old man or old lady two or three times a month: PUt three good songs together in some kinda package and call it a day.

Nobody like that has time or patience for filler anymore. And, come one, freaking admit it - you got kinda tired sitting through "It's So Easy" "Nighttrain" and "Out to Get Me" to get that money "chickity chickity chickity da-chick-chick..." of "Mr Brownstone."

And those songs were some of the best B-Material in Rock Album history...But screw that - it's all Killer these days... ... and blasting people for not having patience to sit through some entire BS LP for the good songs is like harrassing kids to eat their broccoli or some crap..

• Members

I don't I've ever heard a rock/pop album in the last 3-4 years with more than 3-4 good songs and the rest are fillers.

THat's one reason why itunes is "popular" - b/c you don't have to buy the excess fat to get at the meat.

Well I haven't heard a rock/pop album in the last 10 years I think is good at all so I'm in agreement there.

• Members

What's the point of making an album in 2011?

Should'nt you just release EPs or singles every 6 months?

Working 2-3 years, paying 10 000$ for the recording of 10 songs and putting all your eggs in the same basket for people who have the attention span of about 5 seconds doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

• Members

Well I haven't heard a rock/pop album in the last 10 years I think is good at all so I'm in agreement there.

They are out there - they are rare, though. I can think of a handful of albums in the last 10 years where the consistent strength of the material justified the length:

Arcade Fire's Suburbia (10) and Funeral (2004)

TV on the Radio - Dear Science... beautiful, weird and incredibly accessible...

Modern Guilt - Beck, {censored}ing dude still has it... who coulda guessed...

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter

Lady Gaga's the Fame - 2008. I don't care what people say, that album's a monster...

Sleepy Jackson - Lovers 2003

XX Xx 2009 - Check this {censored} out if you've never heard. FANTASTIC

Room on Fire - the Strokes... notta bad song in the bunch..

Rock Ferry - Duffy, again - don't care what they say - goddamn modern classic.

Kings of Leon - Only By Night.... trying to be U2; End up being FaceBook-generation's "Frampton Comes Alive.." Who cares... this would have been a 10 million seller back in the day... deservedly so...

Kanye West - pretty much everything except that weird record where he tried to sing a couple years ago.

One thing I find interesting is how the rare super-star records to breakthrough in the last couple years, from duffy, to lady gaga or Kings of Leon - are jampacked with hits to hits to hits - I think that's telling. Only way to actually move substantial records anymore is you have to be able to deliver daisy chain of radio hits. I think that's a good thing.

• Members

I wonder how
Tha Carter
made it in there.

III!!! Tha Carter III!!! You knew what i mean!!!

A Milli... 3 Peat ... PuXXy Monster...Mr. Carter... Dr. Carter...Mrs. Officer... Shoot Me Down... Forgetabout!!!1 Genius to Genius To Genius To Genius.....

And I finally got around to checking out that Bon Iver record from a few years ago, Dear Emma. I ignored it because of all the hype at the time - but I gotta say, I think it's a song-for-song great album contendert too. Take me a couple more weeks of listening to tell for sure though.... and this record Kaputt by Destroyer that came out his week is goofy as {censored} by pretty consistently great... if you can dig weepy white-boy shoegazing music larded with adult contempory stylings of A La Kenny G... but it works... That Edward Sharpe & Magnetic Fields record from 2008 or 2009 is damn good song for song too, although I think I just have an affinity for that kind of music.

• Members

People went crazy over "A Milli" - the beat, that is. Credit that to Bangladesh. Everybody and their mother got on that track and ripped it A Milli-on times better than Weezy did. Check Youtube If you don't believe me. The only person that kept the vocals and overhauled the beat was Flying Lotus. And ToKiMonsta (also down with FlyLo's Brainfeeder crew). In my opinion, the album was crap beyond that.

I'm on the fence about Destroyer. I find it hard to get past his voice.

• Members

They are out there - they are rare, though. I can think of a handful of albums in the last 10 years where the consistent strength of the material justified the length:

Arcade Fire's Suburbia (10) and Funeral (2004)

TV on the Radio - Dear Science... beautiful, weird and incredibly accessible...

Modern Guilt - Beck, {censored}ing dude still has it... who coulda guessed...

Lil Wayne - Tha Carter

Lady Gaga's the Fame - 2008. I don't care what people say, that album's a monster...

Sleepy Jackson - Lovers 2003

XX Xx 2009 - Check this {censored} out if you've never heard. FANTASTIC

Room on Fire - the Strokes... notta bad song in the bunch..

Rock Ferry - Duffy, again - don't care what they say - goddamn modern classic.

Kings of Leon - Only By Night.... trying to be U2; End up being FaceBook-generation's "Frampton Comes Alive.." Who cares... this would have been a 10 million seller back in the day... deservedly so...

Kanye West - pretty much everything except that weird record where he tried to sing a couple years ago.

One thing I find interesting is how the rare super-star records to breakthrough in the last couple years, from duffy, to lady gaga or Kings of Leon - are jampacked with hits to hits to hits - I think that's telling. Only way to actually move substantial records anymore is you have to be able to deliver daisy chain of radio hits. I think that's a good thing.

Ah man, I hate all of that...LOL Even though I'm only 39 and look 30, i'm old school in my taste...Newer Stuff that i have found that i dig is a guy named Mat Kearney, Amy Winehouse, Ben Folds, Bob Shneider, Brandi Carlile, David Gray, Griffin House, Jamey Johnson, Keith Urban, John Mayer, Muse, Ray LaMontagne, Will Hoge, Zac Brown, etc...

• Members

Ah man, I hate all of that...LOL Even though I'm only 39 and look 30, i'm old school in my taste...Newer Stuff that i have found that i dig is a guy named Mat Kearney, Amy Winehouse, Ben Folds, Bob Shneider, Brandi Carlile, David Gray, Griffin House, Jamey Johnson, Keith Urban, John Mayer, Muse, Ray LaMontagne, Will Hoge, Zac Brown, etc...

I hear all that... I can't get down with popular country or not-Rap R&B no matter how hard I try... And I feel bad about it too...

And Lotta people I know thought that Lil WAyne record was {censored} - my brother thought it sounded like what a horse sounds like when it poops... Maybe it was just the novelty of all for me, I'm kinda weak when it comes to Hip Hop so I don't really have any idea of what the real {censored} that's going on is all about. I check out what's popular but don't do much active mining of the genre. I'm to rap music like college freshman are to Reggea: like, Bob Marley all the way bra! I love reggea!

• Members

Re: Hip Hop

I'd be here all night talking about good hip hop. If nothing else I'd have to shout-out Madlib and the entire Stones Throw Records team. The DMV (Detroit, Maryland, Virginia) has been blowing up as of late with artists like Oddisee and Diamond District, Kokayi, Black Milk, 14KT, and Waajeed. Don't even get me started on the South.

Overall, for the first time in my life, I feel like there's a all-out music renaissance across the board. There's been so many monumental releases the last couple years. 2011 already has some runners up for best albums of the year.

There's too much good music out there. Bastards are taking all my money:)

Oh, yeah - to answer the OP, the more the better if the songs are great. I've been a Shuffle guy lately myself.

• Members

Yeah yeah.. but to clear - I'm on board with Soul music, like old soul music - 50s to 60s. From 60-minute Man through Stax Records - Rufus & Carla. Otis. My main man is Sam Cooke - forgettabout it. Night Beat. Ben E. King's solo records and before that the Drifters and all their singers... Best {censored} ever. It's the modern stuff in R&B I can't figure out or where to even start to figure it out. Crazy about the 60s girl groups... but It all stops dead for me with The Supremes... I {censored}ing hate the Supremes, and pretty much most of the Motown stuff. I don't know why - and I wouldn't even know how to start working my way back from where we are today. I gravitate to the name-brand English singers that have an affinity for early soul music.

• Members

Re: Hip Hop

I'd be here all night talking about good hip hop. If nothing else I'd have to shout-out Madlib and the entire Stones Throw Records team. The DMV (Detroit, Maryland, Virginia) has been blowing up as of late with artists like Oddisee and Diamond District, Kokayi, Black Milk, 14KT, and Waajeed. Don't even get me started on the South.

Overall, for the first time in my life, I feel like there's a all-out music renaissance across the board. There's been so many monumental releases the last couple years. 2011 already has some runners up for best albums of the year.

There's too much good music out there. Bastards are taking all my money:)

Oh, yeah - to answer the OP, the more the better if the songs are great. I've been a Shuffle guy lately myself.

That's what I'm talking about - I need to get in on that {censored}. I have a deep feeling that the kind of music I grew up on and was bred to enjoy - everything that spawned Guns N Roses pretty much and was influenced by it thereafter in some way or another - has really run its course. Hip Hop music is what's going to be moving things along from here on out... and I think that's cool and good. It's just a whole different thing than the tastes I grew up on.

Archived