Bought 4000 plays at Jango.com

• Members

Not sure if anybody else has tried Jango, but it looks kinda cool so we thought we'd try it. Its basically an online radio station that will slip your music in with more popular artists, and listeners will rate your songs/give feedback etc. They say they have 7 million listeners, but who knows. Could be a total scam. We go live today so i'll update this thread with my thoughts.

Mac

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

$100

$100 seems like a reasonable price.

Now I'm wondering if there's a timeframe? If the track is 3 minutes long multiplied by 4000 plays, that would come to 12,000 minutes or 200 hours. That's a lot of airplay (netplay).

I wonder how long it will take them to fulfill their obligation while slipping your music in with popular artists. Is there some way to monitor your plays?

Anyway, good luck.

John :)

• Moderators

Hmmmm,

Pay for play ; Reminds me of another little saying ;

" Once a john , always a john "

true dat...but still, a c-note to reach 7 million listeners is actually not a bad deal, assuming the scheduling is realistic. If all the plays are between midnight and 5 AM, not so much...this would easily fall under 'promotional expenses', rather than 'pay to play'. :wave:

• Members

$100 seems like a reasonable price.

Now I'm wondering if there's a timeframe? If the track is 3 minutes long multiplied by 4000 plays, that would come to 12,000 minutes or 200 hours. That's a lot of airplay (netplay).

I wonder how long it will take them to fulfill their obligation while slipping your music in with popular artists. Is there some way to monitor your plays?

Anyway, good luck.

John
:)

you can set it to rip through them fast or take a little longer although i dont know how long that acutually means. i'll report back

• Members

Hmmmm,

Pay for play ; Reminds me of another little saying ;

" Once a john , always a john "

i dont really care about acutally being on this "station", what im looking for is feedback. Supposedly this will tell us which songs people like the best. The age and gender of those that liked certain songs (considering its the webz who knows how accurate it is.) I guess with 4000 plays i think we'll get some genral info that could be useful in marketing our songs,,. seemed worth $25 a bandmate.:idk:

• Moderators

not sure about this

I would have thought that would have been one of the first questions, after finding out the cost.

I agree that for $100, this seems like a fairly good means of mass exposure, especially if, as I suggested, the playtimes are accessible to your target audience.

• Members

i dont really care about acutally being on this "station", what im looking for is feedback. Supposedly this will tell us which songs people like the best. The age and gender of those that liked certain songs (considering its the webz who knows how accurate it is.) I guess with 4000 plays i think we'll get some genral info that could be useful in marketing our songs,,. seemed worth $25 a bandmate.

You can do this at Reverb Nation for a lot less...It seems like a lot to pay for what seems to be a secondary station. Just saying....

But I have to say....A+ on your production values of the songs I listened to on your website. I also liked the way your songs were on your front page and the fact they didn't go away as I browsed.

If I see you guys around town I'll come and check you out...sounded good.

• Members

I would have thought that would have been one of the first questions, after finding out the cost.

I agree that for $100, this seems like a fairly good means of mass exposure, especially if, as I suggested, the playtimes are accessible to your target audience.

yeah its a good point, and I honestly just didn't think about it. But the report comes back with the age and gender of who liked which songs. As long as they are hearing it Im not sure I care when they hear it.

• Members

You can do this at Reverb Nation for a lot less...It seems like a lot to pay for what seems to be a secondary station. Just saying....

But I have to say....A+ on your production values of the songs I listened to on your website. I also liked the way your songs were on your front page and the fact they didn't go away as I browsed.

If I see you guys around town I'll come and check you out...sounded good.

Thanks so much for listening and the great compliments. It's always cool to get feedback.

Thanks for the heads up on RN... I'll check that out too.

• Members

Interesting idea, if they actually deliver. I've never heard of this site, but I'm hardly up on trends. I wonder how it compares to a mainstream site like Pandora.

Call me a cynic, but if I bought "air time", I would monitor it like a hawk. Too many times in the business world I've commissioned a commercial and paid for spots on tv and radio and they flat out NEVER ran it.

• Members

Too many times in the business world I've commissioned a commercial and paid for spots on tv and radio and they flat out NEVER ran it.

I'm not really sure how I would do that, but for $100 I guess I'm not really willing to put that much effort into it.

• Members

So it's been running for about a day now and heres some info

title plays left plays

86'd live 445 55

Real Deal 449 51

Rewind 458 42

Grinnin 456 44

Punchdrunk 458 42

Ascending 457 43

Total Plays: 259

Plays This Week*: 259

Total Fans**: 11

New Fans This Week: 11

Unread Messages: 0

Total Comments: 3

there are age, gender and location reports for eveyone who has listened.

I can contact each our 11 "fans" and talk to them.

• Members

yeah i guess if we are getting about 4% of the listeners as fans, then after 4000 songs that would be 160 fans (.62 each.)

now the trick is.... what do we do with those 160 people? they'll never see us live cause they're all over the world.

:idk:

• Members

2 problems I see with Jango.

First, a "fan" is someone who "likes" your song.

That's hardly a fan imo. Don't want to sound harsh, but most of them probably don't even remember you today.

Second problem is the airplay. With radio, when you get airplay, hundreds or even thousands or poeple are listening at the same time. With Jango... There is only one person listening... duh

Archived