How can I get my blog out there?

sabriel9v

• Members

I started a blog called Shot From Guns about a month ago. I've got some really cool content on there, but I'm only averaging around 25-30 views a day. If I have a big interview or article that number will shoot up to 250-300 though. I want to maintain that number...I've been keeping people updated via facebook and myspace bulletins, but they won't check every day. Any tips on how I can get my blog more attention?

• Members

Hey Sab, I checked your blog and it's good in comparison to many in the area. Not sure how linked you are to other blogs around town. I check all the local blogs every morning. I see what you're saying though. I SHOULD have run across you before now. The fact that I found you through HC rather than other local blogs linking me through is one issue.

I read:

Ohm Park

Drive a Faster Car

The Silver Tongue

Beatlanta

Rock Fist Reviews

Atlanta Music Blog

Most of which I'm sure would be happy to add you to their link section. I think that's how I found most everyone, just hitting the links and following through to see what else I would find.

A lot of the popular blogs are starting to sponsor shows once a month in town. Brad at The Star Bar is REAL big on letting blogs book one night a month. It has helped the others quite a bit I believe.

• Members

how did Han Solo put it? "That's the trick now, ain't it?"

20-30 hits a day actually sounds pretty good for a month old typical blog (though I fear the traffic may die off after a bit)

Some things you may want to consider

-Have you really focused on what/who your audience is? (I think there's a temptation to be unstructured and be both "I want to write about things of special interest" AND "I want it to have broad appeal" -- that can be a tricky thing to navigate)

Is it specific to Atlanta, Regional, Nationl, Intl? (beware of "all really" - it serves too many masters that way)

-Do you have some sort of draw to check back often (not just articles, but news, schedules, maybe even a comments section)?

If so, is it easily readable and conveniently formatted? (many blogs look like, well, blogs, in that they are these big scrolls and the reader has to roll through that stuff and hunt for info...streamlining the design may be helpful)

-RSS is an option to push data, but I think it's a bit stalled (some go with stillborn, but I just don't know)

-email list alerts might be a good compliment to facebook alerts, etc

eh, just some design/strategy stuff to consider there

-

• Members

Hey Sab, I checked your blog and it's good in comparison to many in the area. Not sure how linked you are to other blogs around town. I check all the local blogs every morning. I see what you're saying though. I SHOULD have run across you before now. The fact that I found you through HC rather than other local blogs linking me through is one issue.

I read:

Ohm Park

Drive a Faster Car

The Silver Tongue

Beatlanta

Rock Fist Reviews

Atlanta Music Blog

Most of which I'm sure would be happy to add you to their link section.
I think that's how I found most everyone, just hitting the links and following through to see what else I would find.

A lot of the popular blogs are starting to sponsor shows once a month in town. Brad at The Star Bar is REAL big on letting blogs book one night a month. It has helped the others quite a bit I believe.

Yeah I suppose I need to get on this more. I've contacted Davy from Ohm Park and he's going to add me to his links. But I read his blog daily...I'm not a big fan of those other blogs, maybe Atlanta Music Blog. I contacted a few other people too like Pine Magazine, but I'm not sure if they added me.

Right now I refuse to sponsor shows via this blog...I'm not a music critic nor am I in the editorial business. I'm a musician first and foremost and I'll book shows through Hijacking Music. Maybe one of my problems is that I don't picture myself as being the same kind of person that other music bloggers/critics are :confused:

• Members

how did Han Solo put it? "That's the trick now, ain't it?"

20-30 hits a day actually sounds pretty good for a month old typical blog (though I fear the traffic may die off after a bit)

Some things you may want to consider

-Have you really focused on what/who your audience is? (I think there's a temptation to be unstructured and be both "I want to write about things of special interest" AND "I want it to have broad appeal" -- that can be a tricky thing to navigate)

Is it specific to Atlanta, Regional, Nationl, Intl? (beware of "all really" - it serves too many masters that way)

-Do you have some sort of draw to check back often (not just articles, but news, schedules, maybe even a comments section)?

If so, is it easily readable and conveniently formatted? (many blogs look like, well, blogs, in that they are these big scrolls and the reader has to roll through that stuff and hunt for info...streamlining the design may be helpful)

-RSS is an option to push data, but I think it's a bit stalled (some go with stillborn, but I just don't know)

-email list alerts might be a good compliment to facebook alerts, etc

eh, just some design/strategy stuff to consider there

-

Did you check the site?

• Members

I fear that the interesting stuff over the next couple of weeks might get you some blip

(but I fear alos, it won't by itself raise draw as some, potentially interested parties might not find it)

Have you considered a format change?

I mean a few of the questions I offered for reflection have to do with that

the current system reads like, well, a blog (a log, a diary) but the content you are working towards (articles with maybe some news, schedules, etc) seem more like you want to go toward "online resource" with news and reviews

The blog format, itself, I think can be somewhat problematic in the same way other "democratized/populist" media formats are, saturation.

they can present like "Oh great -- another guy with basically a chronological scroll of his 'valuable' insights' "

Now remember (and I think this is highlighted by our last comments) the author is generally going to think "cmon! this is TOTALLY clear and people who can't see that are just stupid" -- I've had to curb this out of young (and sometimes not-so-young) UI engineers more times than I can count

The reader ain't the author

so maybe consider why people might want to look at various sections (like if you have show calendars or news is it BANG, really easy to get to without wading through stuff)

and format to that

• Members

Have you considered a format change?

I mean a few of the questions I offered for reflection have to do with that

the current system reads like, well, a blog (a log, a diary) but the content you are working towards (articles with maybe some news, schedules, etc) seem more like you want to go toward "online resource" with news and reviews

Did you read my mission statement?

• Members

In the original post?

Or on the blog?

read the topic post, sure!

a mission statement on the blog? -- Awww, HELL NO!

(I didn't even see one -- and that can speak directly to the formatting/presentation aspect .. If the reader ain't directed to it...)

and that's kind of one of the things about the typical blog format - there can be a lot of personal noise on top of the good stuff, the focus can be really unclear and that can mess with reader retention and new reader recruitment.

I mean the original post talks about getting more readers and better retention - and that's where the blog format might actually be hurting the content.

So what is your mission statement?

• Members

Your page looks nice and clean..no clutter.

Couple of things you may want to consider is Digging and StumbleUpon every blog you post. Also, comment on as many other high page ranking blogs that you can. Most of the time, when you comment on a blog, you can put the link of your blog in. This will help build your backlinks, which will help you with search engines.

• Members

I started a blog called Shot From Guns about a month ago. I've got some really cool content on there, but I'm only averaging around 25-30 views a day. If I have a big interview or article that number will shoot up to 250-300 though. I want to maintain that number...I've been keeping people updated via facebook and myspace bulletins, but they won't check every day. Any tips on how I can get my blog more attention?

Rename it "Free Beer from Hot Naked Chick Bartenders"?

OK, Seriously: It looks good and reads well. Keep it fresh with regular, relevant postings, and lots of links, Encourage responses to your postings by asking questions. It takes a while, so be patient and keep promoting whenever possible.

• Members

I'm not a big fan of those other blogs,

That's ok. I'm not totally lock step in line with what they do either. Every now and then they'll get it right though and I'm pleased when they do. I know most of the folks from those blogs and even if our tastes are different they're almost all really great folks. I would get them to add your link regardless.

I also forgot to mention Mix Tape Atlanta. The two main players for Mix Tape write for Paste Mag also, they're good folks too man.

• Members

Your page looks nice and clean..no clutter.

Couple of things you may want to consider is Digging and StumbleUpon every blog you post.
Also, comment on as many other high page ranking blogs that you can.
Most of the time, when you comment on a blog, you can put the link of your blog in. This will help build your backlinks, which will help you with search engines.

I really like this idea, thanks :thu:

• Members

Probably no one is going to read your blog. Even if its good. That's just the way it is with blogs.

Better to quit now. You're going to quit within six months anyway, so save yourself the trouble.

You suck Debbie Downer, go get drunk with Positive Paul :poke:

• Members

Looked at it and it seemed okay. Try changing the template. you have to make it more appealing.Or why dont you just change the whole thing and
talkabout more interesting ones like Lady Gaga being a transvestite or MJ's movie This Is It.
If you really want it to sell talk of things culturally popular. And you have to set your objectives straight.

:facepalm:

• Members

Reading this book will help.

I just looked at this guys video... I actually believe he probably has a bunch of good things to say... I'm not sure if it is the way I'm wired but people who are that upbeat and sell sell sell type A... Scare the hell out of me and make me run. It just feels.... MLM-esque or something.

Blogging is tough... was serious about the SEO...regularly generate content - remember it's not a sprint it is a marathon so pace yourself. Make sure to guest blog posts on other blogs and have other people to guest posts on yours, or interviews or something where you don't have to write 100%... it will save you from burning out and get fans and friends of your guest bloggers / interview subjects an excuse to check out what you are doing. My Blog has been up for about three months... I don't think I remember ever learning more about something in such a short period of time... so much to know.

Hope that helps,

R

• Members

I just looked at this guys video... I actually believe he probably has a bunch of good things to say... I'm not sure if it is the way I'm wired but people who are that upbeat and sell sell sell type A... Scare the hell out of me and make me run. It just feels.... MLM-esque or something.

I was unfamiliar with the book, except for the above link -- and ya know, I got abt the same impression

(a comment ONLY on the marketing OF the book, I cannot comment on the book itself)

• Members

It's been said above, but I think it's worth restating. A great way to increase readership is to be active on other blogs. Read similar, local blogs and comment often. Not to the point of spam, of course, but as an active member of the community. Do the same thing on message boards/forums (like this one). My wife started a food blog in January 2008 and got readership up by being active in the online community. Now she's got something like 2000-2500 hits/day and gets some money for advertising on the site. Those aren't insane numbers or anything and it took some time, but my point is that if you have good content, interesting writing and can find your market, you'll do alright.

Brian

Archived