My god... what's happened to CDBABY since Diskmakers bought them out?

• Members

CDBABY was THE premier independant music distributor up until they were bought out by Discmakers. As a long time CDBABY artist, they were excellent to work with... fast and straight-forward accounting, fast status reports, fast customer service, excellent communication, and rarely if ever a customer complaint.

Now, "the new CDBABY" owned and operated by Discmakers, is a total nightmare. The accounting system is so complex and user unfriendly that it's a joke. Their customer service is non-existant. Requests for support go unanswered.

Am I alone, or are there more fed up CDBABY artists and customers out there? What a MESS! :poke: :mad:

• Members

There's another thread about this, BTW. Derek sold CDBaby to Discmakers, and everything was fine until they redid the website and broke everything. They're still working out bugs. Still. And still not answering all of their support e-mails. The reason they're not answering the support e-mails is that there's too many of them to answer.

I'm totally bummed. I've always loved CDBaby. But with my new CD about to be released within the next 4 weeks, I'm definitely looking to see what my other alternatives are. I'm still hopeful that CDBaby can fix their issues, but they'd better hurry. They've already lost customers and they're going to lose one more if they don't get their sh*t in order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yeah, I'm currently dealing with CD Baby now sucking horribly. It's SO much different now, unbelievable. Before = simple, fast, great service. Now = NO service, not simple, not fast. Had helpful support for an issue, then my support person dropped off the face of the earth apparently. Still waiting for help. My CD SHOULD be released soon, if CD Baby gets it's {censored} together. They had no problem taking my money however, that they've got down.

• Members

Yeah, I'm currently dealing with CD Baby now sucking horribly. It's SO much different now, unbelievable. Before = simple, fast, great service. Now = NO service, not simple, not fast. Had helpful support for an issue, then my support person dropped off the face of the earth apparently. Still waiting for help. My CD SHOULD be released soon, if CD Baby gets it's {censored} together. They had no problem taking my money however, that they've got down.

I'm in a similar situation... they took my money, did a REALLY half-assed job getting the CD online (they put up the physical CD for sale on their sight, but only sent it to ONE download service, of which I'd never heard of). Now the download service disappeared and I've written them countless times about and received no response. Then to top it off, they're doing digital downloads of some of my CDs that I don't want them to do digital downloads of, and wrote them about that too, and received no response. :mad:

It doesn't bode well for them, or for us... :deadhorse:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Members

I've been a CD baby member for many years. It was fairly new when I signed up. But since Derrick sold the company, I've been dealing with disappointment after disappointment.

The first big issue was when I Opted into their sync licensing program through Rumblefish. Seemed like a cool feature and thought I had nothing to lose. But they didn't really explain it well in my opinion. All of the sudden I got shared content warnings on some of my 25 You-Tube videos and they started posted commercials on my videos. If I would have known that I never would have Opted in! I was offered a partnership from You-Tube and passed on it for the same reason. I hate going to watch any video and have to sit through commercials! So I sure the hell don't want commercials on my videos.

Anyway, Opting into the program was as simple as checking a few boxes. But Opting out was very time consuming and a pain in the as_.

I have 5 CDs listed with CD baby. Now this morning I got an email from them notifying me that I'm over stocked on one of my CD's. Mind you there are only 4 CD's in stock. Once upon a time you were aloud to send them 5 or more CD's for stock. And if you run out they hound you to send more immediately! So I've already paid to send them. Now they want me to pay to return 3 of the CD's (with my credit card) or they say they will be recycled! (trashed) WTF???? Then when they run out I have to pay to send them more!!!!

I also have been having my music pressed by Disc Makers since 1995. Mind you they now own CD Baby.

They were once a great company to work with too. But I had major problems with them on the last two CDs and will not use their services again. Also, I referred them to a band that recorded in my studio like I always did. The singer told me that the sales guy was very pushy and was trying to get him to spend money on features that he did not want and said the guy wouldn't let up on it.

Time to find some new independent companies that know how to treat their people.

CD Baby now Sucks!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
  • Members
On 8/12/2009 at 5:14 PM, Kid Klash said:

CDBABY was THE premier independant music distributor up until they were bought out by Discmakers. As a long time CDBABY artist, they were excellent to work with... fast and straight-forward accounting, fast status reports, fast customer service, excellent communication, and rarely if ever a customer complaint.

Now, "the new CDBABY" owned and operated by Discmakers, is a total nightmare. The accounting system is so complex and user unfriendly that it's a joke. Their customer service is non-existant. Requests for support go unanswered.

Am I alone, or are there more fed up CDBABY artists and customers out there? What a MESS! :poke: :mad:

• Members

I just noticed this today:

"Where's the CD Baby Store?
CD Baby retired our music store in March of 2020 in order to place our focus entirely on the tools and services that are most meaningful to musicians today and tomorrow."

https://store.cdbaby.com/

Looks like they're doing streaming now, maybe it's time they changed their company name?

https://cdbaby.com

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...