How much can one make via YouTube ?

• Members
there is no correct answer to this. very few people make enough money off of Yt views to fill their gas tank, but if a vid goes viral? Who knows?

there is a 'tiered' system with Yt, contact them and they will explain it to you.

Thanks for the info. At this stage, yeah, I guess the best option is to ask YT directly.

Speaking of "going viral", let's consider the school case thereof: Gangnam Style...about 2 billion views (yes, Billion), and it made Psy, the "artist", earn 2 million bucks from YT advertising alone (on top of which, of course, other contracts and revenues can be added...amounting to much more). And these are the figures of 2 years ago. I've just looked it up and he's at 2.63 billion views now.

Link to the Forbes article: http://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2014/06/16/at-2-billion-views-gangnam-style-has-made-psy-a-very-rich-man/#502cac0a75aa

• Members
Consider' date=' though, how many millions of vids are up on Yt...your odds of winning the lottery or being struck by lightning are far better.[/quote']

I can't deny for the number of vids on YT, not to mention the number of them added each day... That being said, unlike the lottery or lightning, one can do something to add to one's visibility (and views count) on YT...such as using social networks, email contacts, discussion forums, etc. Oh, and of course, posting good music helps, for sure. ;)

• Moderators

I agree that one needs to be pro-active, particularly for music videos, but even using one's normal resources...[FB, e-mail, Twtr, forum contacts, etc.] this wouldn't add up to a million views...unless the content is so strikingly awesome that no one can resist....and they all spread the word. I find a lot of music I like on the various Yt channels I subscribe to, but none have ever gone viral.

Recently a woman put up a vid of her 2yr old daughter singing...and it had over a million views...how? Beats me...:idk:

• Members
I agree that one needs to be pro-active' date=' particularly for music videos, but even using one's normal resources...[FB, e-mail, Twtr, forum contacts, etc.'] this wouldn't add up to a million views...unless the content is so strikingly awesome that no one can resist....and they all spread the word. I find a lot of music I like on the various Yt channels I subscribe to, but none have ever gone viral.

Recently a woman put up a vid of her 2yr old daughter singing...and it had over a million views...how? Beats me...:idk:

I guess one has to grasp what "works" on YT (aka the ingredients for something to go viral). :idk:

My take on this...it has :

- to be really grossly stupid / ridiculous (eg Gangnam Style)

- to be super duper cutey nicey (cats, pets in general and babies are a big plus for that)

- to feature boobies. Preferably big ones.

- to be over the top in some way. That'll stir people's emotions...and the sad truth is they're getting more and more emotional and less and less reasonable

And I guess good music, that sticks in your head, helps a bit, too... :idk:

• Members
So there you go...write a great song about cats and babies' date=' sung by a large breasted hottie and you're there![/quote']

Sounds like a plan !! :thu:

Or maybe a song about big-boobed hotties sung by cats and babies ? :idk::confused2:

Hey...actually I might be onto something, here... :idea:

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Hey, I actually know one or two things about earning money on YT:

1. Each contract is negotiated individually so there is no such thing as public pricelist. What is more, this information, as a part of agreement between yt and youtuber is meant to be classified as far as I know.

2. The income varies a lot. Partly because of the view amount fluctuations, partly because of other factors

3. One of most important things which determinate your income is not if someone plays your video till the end, but how much time more they will spent on youtube afterwards, how many videos they will watch, etc.

I'm talking of course about the bigger "players" who upload regularly vids with several hundreds of thousands views. Besides that there is the VEVO case, which is supposed to be a semi-independent entity that is present on yt and has its own video platform. If you look at an article below (yes, it is pretty old but it still shows some info), you will see that the most of these videos are from VEVO so that they have more views since they are available on yt as well as on vevo and they have one counter for both platforms.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2015/08/26/the-100-most-popular-youtube-videos-of-all-time/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vevo

Back, to the main question: it is hard to tell and if you'd like to give it a try, you should invest a lot of time, effort and money especially in the beginning.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Hey, I actually know one or two things about earning money on YT:

1. Each contract is negotiated individually so there is no such thing as public pricelist. What is more, this information, as a part of agreement between yt and youtuber is meant to be classified as far as I know.

2. The income varies a lot. Partly because of the view amount fluctuations, partly because of other factors

3. One of most important things which determinate your income is not if someone plays your video till the end, but how much time more they will spent on youtube afterwards, how many videos they will watch, etc.

I'm talking of course about the bigger "players" who upload regularly vids with several hundreds of thousands views. Besides that there is the VEVO case, which is supposed to be a semi-independent entity that is present on yt and has its own video platform. If you look at an article below (yes, it is pretty old but it still shows some info), you will see that the most of these videos are from VEVO so that they have more views since they are available on yt as well as on vevo and they have one counter for both platforms.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2015...s-of-all-time/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vevo

Back, to the main question: it is hard to tell and if you'd like to give it a try, you should invest a lot of time, effort and money especially in the beginning.

Thanks for information, I myself want to start my youtube channel, and already two month making researches to understand how youtube count views. One more time thanks )))

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

To maximize the chances of getting a YouTube video discovered or indexed you need to make sure that you use appropriate keywords in the Title, Description and Tag fields. If you have written your own song, you can start by posting lyrics into the description as a minimum. But consider turning the lyrics into a short story.

If your lyrics relate to a current popular event even better. For example, if you wrote song lyrics about losing your guitar on an airliner its a good bet that there would be plenty of people searching about it. The whole point is that videos get discovered by their textual content not by the actual video, thats how people search. No one will be searching for a song by a new artist because they dont know it exists. But if the new artists lyrics contain keywords that are searched frequently, there is a much better chance your video will be found.

Once you have the lyric story written into the description, summarize it in the Video title field, and pull out tag words from the story to enter into the YouTube tag fields. Tags are use by YouTube to categorize and rank videos.

• Members

I heard a long time ago an interview with a famous Spanish youtuber that made about 3000€ per month by uploading humour videos. It always depends on the dates, some months people are way more willing to be using YouTube, so you can never tell. Also, for the music you upload, it has to be original. If you put a cover you probably are not going to be able to monetize that video. So in general it always depends on how many followers or views you have, if you put some ads on... so it's just about working and being persistent and maybe start a close relationship with someone that is already big on YouTube. Also you can put on some ads but you should know what your target is before doing that or you'll end up by spending too much money.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived