Distributing music in Asia (online)

• Members

Hi guys,

I´m looking into distributing my music (EDM) in Asia.

What kind of digital stores/platforms would you recommend using in countries like: South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia and Taiwan?

I know that pro-music.org gives a good overview of the major sites in countries all over the world but perhaps there is someone who has first hand experience themselves.

Any knowledge about the digital music industry in Asia would be heavenly appreciated!

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Sadly, we had an expert on marketing music in Asia, but he passed away a couple of years ago...

What sells in India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka likely doesn't sell in Manila, Brunei, Laos, Ho Chi Minh City, etc. It is a very factionalized market place. There are submarkets, but they are [aside from India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka] very small due to linguistic variants. Many artists have released material in English there because of the fact that it crosses many borders, and has helped the K-POP and J-POP movements filter into markets like the Philippines, where English is a second language. It also helps them sell into Australia and New Zealand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Members
Hi guys' date='[/font']

I´m looking into distributing my music (EDM) in Asia.

What kind of digital stores/platforms would you recommend using in countries like: South Korea, Japan, Thailand, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia and Taiwan?

I know that pro-music.org gives a good overview of the major sites in countries all over the world but perhaps there is someone who has first hand experience themselves.

Any knowledge about the digital music industry in Asia would be heavenly appreciated!

Cheers!

If your stuff has any appeal, it will be stolen. In Vietnam for example, CD's DVD's are bootlegged, the packaging is reproduced faithfully. And then vendors sell the product for a pittance.

Or some band might just steal & re-orchestrate and re-record your song putting local lyrics to it. Beijing China stole their Olympic theme from Disney. So how much protection will you have?

• 8 months later...
  • Members

I come from Taiwan. There are a couple of successful local platforms here, but they are all in Traditional Chinese and caters to local artists and markets. Among me and my friends, we go to Spotify if we are seeking new electronic music from other corners of the world. The countries that you mentioned are basically in the East-Asian and Southeast-Asian cultural circle, which is quite a distance (culturally and geographically) away from countries such as India (maybe the SE Asian countries are more influenced by India, but I wouldn't know). A previous comment was correct in saying that it's fractionalized. But still, popular culture and fads can spread between Japan, S Korea, China, and Taiwan, where there is more of an entangled cultural history. But less so the more west you go.

edit: geez, I just replied to a pretty dated post... but, whatever...

Archived