Total newb question about online sales of songs / CDs

• Members

Hmm, maybe. I sort of figure why would anyone pay good money for a song they don't know by a person or band they've never heard of?

they don't. maybe 10 people will (ie your closest family and friends), but that's it.

I might make my music free to get some sort of following and then once they want me, I'll charge 'em. lol *has no idea* lol

as a musician entreprenuer, which you aspire to be, music isn't about music so much as it's about 360 degree entertainment. it's like a full-frontal assault on all the senses by having a youtube video that's either SUPER RAD or funny, with music, or by getting your tune to be the background of a TV show or commercial (especially if you do that silly female on a ukelele thing that the ad firms love these days).

or by becoming a DJ yourself, and sneaking your songs into the mix. nyuk nyuk,

• Members

Heheh, I had an opportunity to do that actually, a year ago, but had no time to do it properly so let it go. Was a Canadian online radio show, heheh. But I do know people on some radio stations so when I'm ready, my songs can play on them. Not a huge following, but a cult one and they're not tiny either.

I also intend, for most of my songs, to do videos which I'll put on Youtube...and I also have other marketing ploys in mind too, heh,

• Members

Hmm, maybe. I sort of figure why would anyone pay good money for a song they don't know by a person or band they've never heard of?

I might make my music free to get some sort of following and then once they want me, I'll charge 'em. lol *has no idea* lol

I'm going to be brutally honest.

You look cute, you may have a chance... Show yourself.

Other than that, you (we) are screwed trying to sell music online. Its goddamn near impossible.

• Members

It doesn't work well for unknown bands. Unlike stores that give away free samples of cookies or cans of soup, they're counting on you liking them and buying 20 more over the next few months. Once people have your songs for free, what is left for them to buy?

Archived