help with diy distribution.

• Members

In a nutshell I am thinking of joining cd baby for online distribution. I am a singer songwriter that uses an 8 track dig recorder to make songsand want to have someone helpme with distribution. I am also married with two kids and don't have time for touring or going out all the time for getting the word out. I play a lot of open mics and some shows. But would like to make some money offf my songs. Is cdbaby worth it for me or is is mainly for bands, or touring acts. I have a following but nothing major.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi,

As an unknown artist I give potential fans the option of free downloads or if they want to support you, to buy them in itunes, amazon etc. I use ditto music to do this, over 200 stores and also get them in spotify.

I have a myspace page, last.fm page, facebook page etc

• 2 months later...
  • Members

In a nutshell I am thinking of joining cd baby for online distribution. I am a singer songwriter that uses an 8 track dig recorder to make songsand want to have someone helpme with distribution. I am also married with two kids and don't have time for touring or going out all the time for getting the word out. I play a lot of open mics and some shows. But would like to make some money offf my songs. Is cdbaby worth it for me or is is mainly for bands, or touring acts. I have a following but nothing major.

I have sold a lot of CDs at CD Baby, but 'a lot' is a relative term. I sold about 5-10 CDs a month for a few years, and was told by a friend who worked there that that's in the top 20% of sales for unsigned bands. So unless you're a fairly well known name and/or actively your and promote, don't expect to sell much, if anything.

Here's the thing: Everybody and their dog has a CD and/or digital downloads for sale these days. Most of them aren't recorded or mixed/mastered very well, and are DIY things. It's as tough sell when there is so much music available.

You'd be better off, IMO, to put together a three hour solo set, book some paying gigs and use your CDs for promo and to sell at gigs.

• Members

Yeah, I'd love to make money off of my music too, but it's just too much to expect anyone to pay for. I gave it away for free and now I've had people all over the states, Germany, Russia, China, and more hear it. It's not a lot, but more than the five people I expected to listen to it. That's worth a lot more to me than the $50 I might make per year if I worked my ass off promoting.

By the way, if you're curious..... VVV

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

making money off of your music online is quite hard if you don't have a fanbase, as uploading your music to online stores doesn't garner it an audience it simply gives it a location for people to buy it from.

However, once you start to attract fans make sure its up there.

We've got a free guide at our site that tells you how to get your first two releases on all the major online music stores for free. (using RecordUnion.com)

Archived