MySpace is dead?

• Members

Just started making music again after a hiatus....seems now MySpace is dead? I used to be able to go there and find a whole bunch of people interested in hearing new bands....now it's just other bands 'friending up' to promote themselves....is that the case or have i missed something?

From what I gather now, it's all about paying for radio plays on Last FM and Jango, and getting released via TuneCore....but that makes it tough to get plays and exposure.

Am I deeply misguided here? Help!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

And....are there any sites that have replaced it other than by paying....Reverbnation seems ok, but I get the impression you can left out here without anyone ever hearing you here, and there's little you can do about it....thanks!

• Members

For hosting music, try bandcamp.com

It's really cool.

But it doesn't have the networking thing that myspace has... it's just for putting your albums up, and it's up to you to steer people to your page. However, if you've got a proper album out (as in more than just a few random demos), there is no site easier and simpler for hosting your music, for streaming and download!

• Members

It seems like the thing now is to at least have a myspace, facebook, and twitter as a minimum and then keep other sites in addition. Look into linking status updates to one central place using apps like ping.fm. That way you hit multiple social networking communities online. I know for my band we are having plenty of success with myspace still.

• Members

Yes bandcamp is great. But people rarely buy music online. The only place you can really sell {censored} is live... If you can find a place to play that doesn't ask you to pay in the first place.

And more and more, you can't even sell CD's at live gigs. Lots of folks play gigs where the audience gets in free but then you try to sell them a $10 CD. The model is probably backwards - you should maybe give away all of your music for free and build a following, then charge 5 bucks to get in. And play at venues where you can make money doing this. And if you give away your music for free and can't gain a following... then how the heck do you expect to gain a following CHARGING for your music?

The rules have changed and it's taking us forever to figure out what the new rules are. But I'm becoming more and more convinced that the only way to make any kind of money or gain any kind of audience is to give everything away and try to make money on live shows. Um, and then also offer some higher-priced products to the 5% of your fans who will actually pay... deluxe CD sets, t-shirts, etc.

• Members

I visited an internet cafe while on vacation in Mexico last month. Sitting next to me is a german kid, on the other side is an israeli kid, behind me is a mexican kid. All of them were looking at Facebook

Does FB host music uploads ?

They are talking to each other. They don't care about my band, or yours. :lol:

You can use reverbnation's app to put your stuff on Facebook.

• Members

I visited an internet cafe while on vacation in Mexico last month. Sitting next to me is a german kid, on the other side is an israeli kid, behind me is a mexican kid. All of them were looking at Facebook

Does FB host music uploads ?

I was in Australia last year and there were seven computer terminals at the hostel I was staying. Six of them were people logged onto Facebook.

As for FB, yes it does host music uploads if you have a fan page set up for the "musician" category. However the interface is very rudimentary and your playlist isn't as prominent on the page as the MySpace page.

Still, MySpace is a sinking ship, and if you're in a band that's even halfway serious about promoting itself, you'd have your own dedicated web site/domain name anyway.

• Members

MySpace, IMHO, is a waste of time. The only reason why I keep mine is to keep the older fans up to date on things. In the last couple of years, i've really kind of almost dreaded going on there, because most of the adds nowadays are from bands (probably on automated adding lists) and i'd tried to respond and have some sort of communication and things like that, but most bands won't respond or communicate. It's pretty faceless.

It's great for networking, but then again, you have to step back and wonder what's actually good networking avenues and what's worth your time. Spending the time to try to ascertain which ones are which can be frustrating at times. IMHO, MySpace is good for those that already know about you, but it won't bolster what already isn't there.....you have to have an audience going into it, because the days of using MySpace to find other audiences are pretty much done.

• Members

Just started making music again after a hiatus....seems now MySpace is dead? I used to be able to go there and find a whole bunch of people interested in hearing new bands....now it's just other bands 'friending up' to promote themselves....is that the case or have i missed something?

From what I gather now, it's all about paying for radio plays on Last FM and Jango, and getting released via TuneCore....but that makes it tough to get plays and exposure.

Am I deeply misguided here? Help!

I just made this almost exact post two days ago in the Bass Forum..... It seems that the older class of MySpacers have moved to Facebook leaving MySpace as a Band Spam-Fest........... I was wondering where the next generation of internet socialites are gathering?

It seems that that a lot of the new generation non-band/non-musician peeps are up on BeBo but its hard to promote bands there (prolly the reason why theres a lot of peeps there)

Some of the newer bands are putting TuneCore and PureVolume as just as important as MySpace

• Members

I don't think self promotion is a great use of your time. You do however need to have a way for people to hear your music and make it easy for them as possible to do so.

The number one focus has to be on the art you are creating. If you don't have that side of things sorted then any kind of promotion is not going to get you anywhere at all.

Plenty of bands on myspace spent hours each day sending friend requests to random people and probably pissing off a fair few potential fans in the process. Many of these bands would have been better off spending that time working on their music and sorting out some of the basic arrangement issues in their songs etc.

Myspace coming to the end of it's days just proves that self promotion isn't all it's made out to be. The only way you're going to build a following is if people think your music is worth speaking about. Word of mouth is absolutely the best promotional tool for more or less anything at all. People tell their friends about your music when the music excites them. If it doesn't, they wont.

What sites like myspace do is allow music fans and musicians to directly and indirectly interact with each other and build up correspondence with people who are into the same music.

In my opinion youtube is the best online tool for promoting your music, at this current time. It allows people to see the band (and therefore promote the band as a whole rather than just the music). You can comment on any video and the linking system is relatively sophisticated. It works on any computer (and some mobile phones) and most importantly, it's viral. People send the link to the specific video to their friends if they are interested by it. It also allows you to see a whole range of statistics about who's been viewing your videos, such as where they are from.

And to above poster, Ebay is still popular in this country.

• Members

for the most part myspace is dead, but it still does have some active users that aren't fake/spam profiles believe it or not

but it has got to the point where the amount of spam/fake profiles and bands promoting themselves has quite possibly exceeded the amount of active and real people using MySpace

Twitter, Facebook and blogging are where it's at for the moment ... but it's all about the most popular social networking profile to be on, eventually Facebook will get so full of spam pages and people abusing it etc ...that people will go elsewhere .. and it is where them people are gonna go that is the question .. whatever social networking platform it is .. the first bands to get on there are gonna get big i think!

I've been using something called Soundcloud recently .. it's solely for music .. but in general it seems more like a place for musicians to share there music .. it's not got enough of the social element to attract fans/none musicians .. but the hosting and widgets are pretty cool!

• Members

I don't think self promotion is a great use of your time. You do however need to have a way for people to hear your music and make it easy for them as possible to do so.

The number one focus has to be on the art you are creating. If you don't have that side of things sorted then any kind of promotion is not going to get you anywhere at all.

Plenty of bands on myspace spent hours each day sending friend requests to random people and probably pissing off a fair few potential fans in the process. Many of these bands would have been better off spending that time working on their music and sorting out some of the basic arrangement issues in their songs etc.

Myspace coming to the end of it's days just proves that self promotion isn't all it's made out to be. The only way you're going to build a following is if people think your music is worth speaking about. Word of mouth is absolutely the best promotional tool for more or less anything at all. People tell their friends about your music when the music excites them. If it doesn't, they wont.

I wish more people thought like you. These are my thoughts 100%. I still have a myspace and only check it to see ridiculous band spam from bands who have styles completely unrelated from what I'd listen to.

The problem is, every so often one of those myspace bands gets the big record contract, which is enough carrot-on-a-stick for a lot of bands to try it. If bands like Owl City, NeverShoutNever, PlayRadioPlay, etc. never got contracts, I think the number of bands trying to do this would be way down.

Personally, I have never once checked out the music of a band who tried to add me simply because they came off as really unprofessional. I take that back, I might have listened to one that I liked but instantly forgot the name of.

Word of mouth is the only source I'll listen to. Otherwise, it's the band themselves trying to convince me logically to like them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived