So how do I spread my music independently? Any tips?

• Members

Doing things like posting in forums is a start. I clicked through to facebook then to youtube.

You need to get some material together though. Start reading up on some recording techniques to help you get the sounds on to disk.

Once you have a little more material go to bandcamp, reverbnation, soundclick,purevolume, hell all of them.

Scott

• Members

not all of them, only places you can manage... if you think you're capable of keeping 20 sites properly updated, then go ahead. but ghost profiles with two years old information don't leave a very good impression.

myspace, facebook, last.fm, thesixtyone and youtube (if you have any video material)... that's good enough.

just being in purevolume, reverbnation etc will probably give you nothing, you need to constantly communicate and network on each site.

• Members

^ Twitter, eventhough I am not a huge fan, can be an effective way to develop relationships and gain exposure. You need to know how to use these tools though.

Besides social networking you can hire a professional promotion company. There are some out there that offer some pay-as-you-go plans that make it more affordable.

Its great that you have 1,000 fans already. It would be a good idea figure out how many "true fans" you have (people you are likely to buy a product from you).

You need some material and a product. You also need a website (besides youtube, myspace, facebook, etc.). You should have some way to leverage your fans too. I mean you should have them signed up on an email list. This gives you the ability to offer people a product when you have one available.

Good luck. I hope you nail it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

not all of them, only places you can manage... if you think you're capable of keeping 20 sites properly updated, then go ahead. but ghost profiles with two years old information don't leave a very good impression.

I've used artistdata.com with a lot of success. It automatically updates your calendar on most of these social-networking type websites all at once.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

if you have 1000 real "fans" sell cds to them?

i like rap, but its hard to get anywhere because 1)you dont really need any talent with instruments aside from your voice. lots of sampling. 2) if your white (winkwink) you better be REAL good AND original.

I wouldnt worry about getting your music out there as much as writing some real awesome stuff.

• Members

Facebook is a good way to reach people but terrible for music. You will need to use FB for information but post your actual music somewhere else and link back to Facebook. YouTube is great in that regard because it lets people view and stay within Facebook. I find that people don't like things that take them out of Facebook.

Other than that - play shows. Everywhere. There is not www substitute for that. Use the web to make stuff available to the fans you generate by playing live.

• Members

Its true what they say about indie music blogs. More and more pr firms are using them to get the word out about the new artists they represent. But you can bypass the pr firms and contact the blog authors yourself. Speaking from experience...

• Members

I just released my own music in digital format only. Have it on myspace and to download at last.fm for free, also using ditto to distribute to itunes store, plus about another 100 digital stores, also put it in Spotify too.

Start a facebook page for your group, set up a twitter account and get all your fans to blog and post good stuff about you. If you have 1000 fans then you have a great start.

Good luck!

• Members

I just released my own music in digital format only. Have it on myspace and to download at last.fm for free, also using ditto to distribute to itunes store, plus about another 100 digital stores, also put it in Spotify too.

Start a facebook page for your group, set up a twitter account and get all your fans to blog and post good stuff about you. If you have 1000 fans then you have a great start.

Good luck!

Have you gotten any sales off of any of that yet? I have had a song that has been in the top 10 on the pop rock charts on Soundclick for two months but not a single download at 75 cents. Nada. Dust bunnies.

• Members

Have you gotten any sales off of any of that yet? I have had a song that has been in the top 10 on the pop rock charts on Soundclick for two months but not a single download at 75 cents. Nada. Dust bunnies.

:eek:

• Members

Post youtube videos, and use Google's Keyword Tool (it's for Adwords users, but it comes in handy for promoting youtube videos) to find good popular keywords. Test the keywords they give you, by going on youtube and searching to see how many other people's videos show up with those keywords. For example, your group is out of Schuylerville, and you have towns like Greenwich nearby. Go on Google's Keyword Tool, and type in "Schuylerville rap" and see how many people search for that phrase or similar phrases. Do the same with "Greenwich rap". If you see that people search for both in Google a lot, then go to youtube and search those phrases to see how many videos show up for each. If there's like 30 videos that pop up in results for "Schuylerville rap", but only 10 for "Greenwich Rap", then pick the one with less results. Put those words in the title of your video. If your song is called "Get Em", then make the title "Get Em' - Greenwich Rap". Now your video will probably be top of the list after it's indexed, and all those people who search for Greenwich Rap will find you. It will also get you lots of visitors from Google as well if you become the top video in youtube results. You can only put so many keywords in the titles of your videos, so you should make them very specific.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I have a mailing list set up where I offer free tracks in exchange for an email. That should be the first thing you do.

Next, here are two of my most efective strategies online:

1) Find bands/artists with music similar to yours and start following the people that follow them using a tool like http://justunfollow.com . Be sure to say hi to everyone when they follow you adn ask them if they'd like some free music. Personal touch makes a big difference.

2) Get a Live365 account, find stations that play your style of music. Then send the DJ a message asking if they will accept your music and how to get it to them.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived