New York Times - P2P Sharing Being Blocked Around the World, Where Next?

• Members

http://www.nytimes.com/external/readwriteweb/2009/12/14/14readwriteweb-p2p-sharing-being-blocked-around-the-world-95228.html

By Jolie O'Dell -- "Whether you consider file-sharing an affront to content creators and copyright-holders everywhere or whether you see P2P networks as a permissible and valid way for users to exchange data, this trend is gaining considerable momentum around the world. Where will P2P restrictions pop up next?..."

• Members

Thanks ... for posting that link to the NYT re: P2P , ISPs-deep monitoring , net neutrality , copyright infringement etc. ... It is a huge topic! ...

But maybe technology, hardware, software, and companies such as Apple could simply side-step the issue over the next couple of years by integrating a paradigm shift in the way consumers access music.

So Apple has just purchased Lala, a Web music service ... which would allow Apple to have its own Web based music catalogue ... along the lines of Spotify (London based) with its iPhone application not yet serviceable in North America. ... Apple's purchase of Lala sets the stage. ... interesting ... !

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/16/technology/internet/16tune.html?em

• Members

Hi Styrofoam:

On July 20th,2009 Canada’s Minister of Industry-Tony Clement & Heritage Minister James Moore held a round table public hearing on Copyright changes.

Copyright Consultations - Vancouver – Round Table and Public Hearings on Copyright

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/008.nsf/eng/00060.html

The multi-faceted complexity of changes which need to occur in this digital global era is astounding.

If you visit the site read Bill Henderson’s presentation from the creators vantage point.

Also look at Jay Thomson (Canadian Association of Internet Providers) ...

Duncan Mckie (Canadian Independent Record Production Association) ...

Catherine Saxberg (Canadian Music Publishers Association) ...

and others ...

TRIPS is an international trade agreement to protect intellectual property rights.

Even if Canada finds a solution that works it may be trumped by dominant vested special interest groups.

Styrofoam... I’m with you ... Thanks! Phrase

• Members

Just thought I'd try to open this thread up a bit.

... picking up from the idea that maybe Google will get it right ...

Caterine Saxberg (Canadian Music Publishers Association) at the July 20/09 copyright consultations in Vancouver (link 12-18-2009 post) says that ...

"... Perhaps the biggest beneficiaries of the uncompensated use of content are the Internet service providers. They have built up broadband networks by encouraging consumers to… to access content. Indeed, one Internet service provider in this country was encouraging consumers to upgrade to high-speed access in order to download music faster at a time when there was not a legal music downloading service available in this country. "

So, maybe internet service providers are not really interested and the reason some in other countries are moving to block P2P is because of the WIPO agreement and TRIPS.

Catherine Saxberg comments on WIPO ...

" ... The WIPO treaties are based on principles of maintaining control of content and establishing penalties. Although we acknowledge that there is a place for these, we are more interested in copyright reform that is based on positive principles of clarity, broad easy access, flexible use, and fair compensation."

I'm learning as I go. ... Anyways, the world seems to go according to dominant vested interests. ... I just hope that the resultant consensus is fair for all.

• Members

Styrofoam:

... You are right I believe. ... Most of us would like to just create and input our creations to a system which shows respect for both the creators and the consumers.

... I can only speak about Canada though, ... and even then I realize I have so much learning to do. If it was not for your post I would not have learnt as much as I do now.

... The subject is interesting because to me it is the behind the scene lobbying and political discussions that will determine the legislation which we will all take for granted in the future.

... I wonder ... how are other countries debating the issues surrounding P2P , ISP's , copyright etc.

best regards ... phrase

• Members

Hi: ... eventually I'll just stop boring others by sharing amazingly informative sites ( for me ) on this P2P copyright infringement issue. ...

This site clarifies that there is no obligation of ISP's in the EU to inform copyright holders of infringement ... This would fall under civil law ... But the leading post in this thread indicates a decision to block can occur on the micro-level ...

if interested ...

http://zwenneblog.weblog.leidenuniv.nl/2008/04/28/remarks-on-ecoj-decision-of-29-january-2

• Members

I don't think it's boring.

In education, at least, we need to be able to download and upload files (software updates, online learning environments, etc.) If they are only talking about P2P specific technologies that don't affect how I download zip files, then I say ban 'em. Don't care.

• Members

Hi richardmac: I have read some of your posts and thank you for the time it took to inform us of your knowledge and "take" on things pertinent. ...

In regards to the internet, ISPs , WIPO (World intellectual Property Organization administered by the WTO), technology and society, copyright and getting the "gas" to live or at least move towards a living , ... I'm learning more.

Dr. Pamela Samuelson wrote a review of the 1996 December WIPO diplomatic conference in Geneva ... http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/%7Epam/courses/cyberlaw97/docs/wipo.pdf ...

This informs us of the context within which the U.S. Clinton sanctioned industry lead rights owners were approaching copyright in the digital era. Dr. Samuelson outlines how the US position was not accepted because not enough informed debate had occurred. ... A decade later issues are still being clarified with different blocks & countries taking different views. ...

In Canada ... Dr.Michael Geist ... on Dec.23/09 ... wrote an article called "Canada and the WIPO treaties: Flexibility always the key" ... http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/4642/125/ ...

Now, I am starting to view this issue as the process to establish the "business" model for the internet-store-conduit. ... The potentials are so enormous in this global age and legislation is always behind the curve. ...

Intellectual Property Watch reports on an Advisory Committee on Enforcement in Korea on Nov. 2-4/09 ... http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/2009/11/06/ip-enforcement-work-at-wipo-gets-boost-from-developing-nations/ ...

In relation to ZIP files ... I see them as a packaging type of express digital transmission devoid of any notice of contents. ... Maybe in the near future we will have Z3's. ... The compression ratio is 3x as much and who will have the proprietary rights to those digital packages.

But most important ... How's MUSIC ? ... All the Best for oh-10 ... phrase

• Members

Perhaps the biggest beneficiaries of the uncompensated use of content are the Internet service providers. They have built up broadband networks by encouraging consumers to… to access content. Indeed, one Internet service provider in this country was encouraging consumers to upgrade to high-speed access in order to download music faster at a time when there was not a legal music downloading service available in this country. "

Thank you oh thank you for this priceless quote of the day! :)

I would like to know at what point in history was there not a legal way to download music? Like any political discussion, you must consider the source. Perhaps the company in question was promoting something in a deceptive way, but to make such a statement. Ha.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't think it's boring.

In education, at least, we need to be able to download and upload files (software updates, online learning environments, etc.) If they are only talking about P2P specific technologies that don't affect how I download zip files, then I say ban 'em. Don't care.

:facepalm:

Should we ban cars because they can be used to facilitate crimes?

P2P file-sharing is a worthwhile technology. If torrents were banned - it would directly effect the speed with which I am able to produce results in my fully legitimate workplace. Large files need to be transported over networks. It's unfortunate that the tech can be misused, but I don't think the answer to saving the recorded music industry is to take genuinely useful tools away from every other industry and individual.

Archived