EP release strategy - opinions needed

• Members

Here's my plan for our coming EP release, tell me what you think!

- 2 versions of the album will be made available at the same time

1st version :

Digital Download on BandCamp - 5 songs

Price : 4$ for total album - 99c for each single

1 free song

We'll give one song for free each month for mailing list subsribers. If they are not on the list they will have to join to get access to the free download. I want to use this as a promotion tool. Each month the album will drop in price (1$ each time) as a new single is made available for free. When all songs will be free, I will put the album in "pay what you want" mode.

2nd version :

Physical album with the same 5 songs + 2 bonus tracks that won't be available on the web.

Price : 10$ (static price). I want people to see this version as the "special" or "collector's" edition.

What do you guys think? If you have opinions or ideas about what I should put on the CD as an added bonus, please share!

• Members

Physical album with the same 5 songs + 2 bonus tracks that won't be available on the web.

Price : 10$ (static price). I want people to see this version as the "special" or "collector's" edition.

Why are you charging $1.40 per track on the hard copy release, but only 99 cents on the digital?

• Members

Why are you charging $1.40 per track on the hard copy release, but only 99 cents on the digital?

For many reasons.

- I have to pay for the physical CD, shipping, packaging, art, printing. Which is not the case for digital files.

- The files are of higher quality on CD.

- People buying the "CD" will be hardcore fans who want it all - the bonus tracks, the art, the physical disk. I think it has a plus value.

- I want to make some money!

My guess is if some people are turned off by the higher price, they will buy the digital version instead.

• Members

For many reasons.

- I have to pay for the physical CD, shipping, packaging, art, printing. Which is not the case for digital files.

- The files are of higher quality on CD.

- People buying the "CD" will be hardcore fans who want it all - the bonus tracks, the art, the physical disk. I think it has a plus value.

- I want to make some money!

My guess is if some people are turned off by the higher price, they will buy the digital version instead.

Personally I feel most people would be turned off by the higher price. Your digital downloads shouldn't be low quality, ideally they should be 320 kps. That's not as good as lossless, but it's good enough for 99 cents. Your pricing scheme is great, but don't you think you could sell potentially more records by pricing the cd at $8? Thats around $1.15 per track. That's around a 30 cent difference on your behalf, but it could be the difference between selling 500 units and selling 700 units.

• Members

Personally I feel most people would be turned off by the higher price. Your digital downloads shouldn't be low quality, ideally they should be 320 kps. That's not as good as lossless, but it's good enough for 99 cents. Your pricing scheme is great, but don't you think you could sell potentially more records by pricing the cd at $8? Thats around $1.15 per track. That's around a 30 cent difference on your behalf, but it could be the difference between selling 500 units and selling 700 units.

Yeah maybe I will price it at 8$, and add 2$ for shipping and packaging :lol:

People are turned off by anything except FREE these days... A little voice in my head is saying : F*CK those people. She won't shut up... :lol:

• 1 month later...

Archived