Bandcamp Now Sells Physical CD's

• Members

Anyone else see this? Bandcamp now lets you sell physical CDs, vinyl, posters, and so on, through their web site. The user gets to see a jpeg preview of the item in a separate popup window, they buy the CD/record, and they get to download it immediately and have the physical item mailed to them (by you.) You get an email when they buy it, so you go ship the thing.

I do NOT KNOW what cut they take! Can't find the info anywhere. Could be zero. CDBaby warehouses your stuff and ships it, but they take a big old chunk of your money. Except for iTunes, Bandcamp might be a good CDBaby replacement at this point.

Thoughts?

• Members

Nice! I do not have access to the bandcamp site right now, but I will check it out tonight! I want to know THA CUT :mad::lol:

Can we sell merch? (t-shirts) ?

I know the reverbstore (reverbnation) is now online, with full integration with their promo platform (widgets, facebook app, ...). Its really nice and looks good, but they take 5-6 dollars on physical CD's. But they handle shipping, and production! (they produce on demand and ship it to the client)

Really, shipping is an hassle, I'm not sure I want to do it. Although shipping CD's must be pretty simple and cheap to do... ?

• Members

You can sell anything, I think.

The big plus or minus about Bandcamp is the cut it takes... right now, it's zero. Nothing. But what they've said is that at some point in time in the future, after Bandcamp has been successful, they'll decide what to take. And at that point Bandcamp artists will have to decide if they want to stay or leave. They may even let you keep it all if you don't cross a certain threshold, which would be really cool. So right now it's a great deal. In the future, who knows. I don't recommend anyone use it as their only web site for that reason, but like what I did with my site is I put a link "Hear my music" which leads to Bandcamp. It could just as easily lead to my CDBaby page. So I don't much care if I have to dump them in the future. No big.

I think it costs like 2 bucks to ship a CD. So for me, it costs me $3 to make a CD, then $2 to ship it. I sell it for $10, so currently on Bandcamp I'd make $5. Not bad. Selling them live I make $7, which is better. When Bandcamp starts charging, who knows. With CDBaby, I sell it for $10 and they send me $6. But it's costing me $3 per copy, so at CDBaby I make $3 per sale, and at Bandcamp (currently) I make $5 but I have to mail it (that's not a big deal once you get used to it, really.)

Archived