Is Reverb Nation screwing me out of my royalties?

• Members

Earlier this year, I joined a site called Reverb Nation. Among other things, they offer a 'digital distribution' service where I could have my Mp3s placed on major retailers sites, such as Amazon.com and iTunes. It took months, but in May, my mp3s went on sale. I didn't start promoting that fact until June, but when I did, a number of my friends bought MP3s from Amazon and iTunes. One of my songs became my "Best Selling Song" on iTunes. Cleary, Mp3s were being sold.

Their site states that:

"You will receive your money in your ReverbNation bank when the retailer reports the information on your sales and sends payment. For sales in a particular quarter, EMusic sends this information within 45 days after the end of EVERY THREE MONTHS. The rest of the retailers (iTunes, Napster, Rhapsody, and Amazon) send this information approximately 60 days after the END OF EACH MONTH in which you had a sale."

I assumed that I had no sales in May, but also knew that since I did have sales in June, the first payments I would see would come in late August or September. When I checked the my "sales report" in September, there was nothing. I sent an e-mail to the site and received a phone number to call. The next day, a single sale showed up and I had earned $0.02 from Napster. When I called, the representative said that they would contact iTunes and Amazon to ask for a sales report, but later sent me an e-mail saying that I would just have to keep waiting. They are blowing me off.

I know that I have sales and that therefore, Reverbnation, owes me royalties, but I am not seeing them and I am only getting deferred when I ask questions. We are talking about sales that occurred in June and it is almost October! It is starting to smell fraudulent.

How should I proceed? I know ASCAP can't help me because they only cover performances. I've tried directly contacting iTunes and Amazon without success. Who can I turn to to sort out this mess?!?!

• Members

@Damajackal,

Let me personally assure you that ReverbNation is not stealing or sitting on your money. We collect from the retailers the same way all other distributors collect and we pass 100% of your earnings back to you. You are correct that the September sales reports would have contained all sales made in June. If you are 100% certain that your friend bought your music from iTunes in June, then please send me a note directly and I will look into what is going on myself: jcarlson@reverbnation.com. If you have a copy of a receipt, that would make my job even easier when dealing with the retailers.

As an FYI, when you receive $0.02 from Napster, this is not for the sale of a song, but represents royalties from streaming. We tried to make this clear on the reporting screen and in the FAQs, but sometimes it gets overlooked.

I hope to hear from you so that we can get this resolved. We are in business to serve the Artist.

-Jed Carlson

Co-Founder, COO

ReverbNation.com

• Members

Receipts are not a requirement, but they would give me the proof I need to get iTunes and the like to dig deeper for us more quickly.

I will push the issue regardless as soon as I hear from you (I don't even know your Artist name, so I have no place to start. Again, my email is jcarlson@reverbnation.com.

Please, please contact me so we can get this resolved for you.

-Jed

Archived