What is your digital distributor of choice?

• Members

Hey Poker,

I've been in the same boat as you -- esp since I am finishing up a new CD shortly.

Most newer entities (ReverbNation, TuneCore, etc) charge you a yearly fee -- and I always liked CDBaby's "one and done" approach (meaning it's there for life).

The only one similar I could find is this: http://www.catapultdistribution.com/

I know nothing about them, and I emailed their customer service a question of iTunes books (which they say you can do through them), but I have yet to hear back (emailed on Friday). Since they have NO other means of contact besides email -- that almost sends me right back to CDBaby...

• Members

I've recently transitioned to Nimbit for electronic distribution. I used CD Baby before, even though they weren't great for download-only releases. I sent the content to Nimbit for e-distribution and it appeared on iTunes very quickly. None of this 6-8 weeks of legend. Maybe I got lucky.

I thought TuneCore was just highway robbery. I couldn't believe all of the fees involved with them.

Nimbit does charge a fee for their services, ($99 a year for the plan I chose) but they don't nickel and dime you past that. The real reason I went with them was that

a. they actually can be contacted, unlike CD Baby and

b. since I pay for the service, I feel like I have more of a right to make demands on them.

After the CD Baby fall out, I'm starting to think that paying a fee is better than settling for whatever a low price gets me. I'm also selling CDs through Nimbit now and I think their widget store/Facebook app is cool.

• Members

I've recently transitioned to Nimbit for electronic distribution. I used CD Baby before, even though they weren't great for download-only releases. I sent the content to Nimbit for e-distribution and it appeared on iTunes very quickly. None of this 6-8 weeks of legend. Maybe I got lucky.

I thought TuneCore was just highway robbery. I couldn't believe all of the fees involved with them.

Nimbit does charge a fee for their services, ($99 a year for the plan I chose) but they don't nickel and dime you past that. The real reason I went with them was that

a. they actually can be contacted, unlike CD Baby and

b. since I pay for the service, I feel like I have more of a right to make demands on them.

After the CD Baby fall out, I'm starting to think that paying a fee is better than settling for whatever a low price gets me. I'm also selling CDs through Nimbit now and I think their widget store/Facebook app is cool.

I created a Nimbit account. Many options there... For now I just signed for a free account. Thanks for the info.

One thing I want to know but can't seem to find it on their website, can you use the Nimbit store to give mp3 or just use it to stream them? Or do you have to sell them?

• Members

I'm still with CDBaby. I put out my new CD with them. It took them a week after getting my CD to get it online, but it's there now. It will eventually make it to iTunes. I think most of the technical problems have been solved, but their customer service is still being overwhelmed. I think they've turned the corner. I'm not apologizing for them - they screwed up royal with the new website. But they're still the best deal, for my needs. I don't want to pay yearly fees forever.

• Members

I was just looking into the company WaTunes. They are now offering free distribution to itunes and distribution to 100+ stores for a yearly fee of $29.95. That fee goes for all of your albums. It is a yearly fee and The company really is still in its infancy stages (more or less), but it seemed like an ok deal.

I will be releasing my review couple of days.

• Members

I'm with the yearly fee haters. iTunes does not charge anyone a yearly fee to sell their music... the places that put your music on iTunes basically just sit back and collect your yearly fee, whether you make any money or not, forever. So if you don't sell, you're paying them money and they're doing nothing. CDBaby takes a cut, it's true, but it's a small cut. After the one time fee, you don't pay anything ever. IF you sell, they take a little, and they deal with iTunes and route the money to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived