Have you heard about - RadioRnR?

• Members

Here's an email my friend received - they want $ 295.00 for a licensing agreement. I'm not sure if that guarantees you get on the CD but I would hope so.

Comments/Anyone Ever Deal with them?

Here's the email:

Our Music Dept. stumbled upon your SonicBids page and we are interested in possibly including one of your songs as part of a compilation series we are releasing. You can check out the press releases below with more details about Vol 1 which was recently released digitally on CD Baby to and the Compilation Series :

Press Release on various media outlets:

http://www.indiemusicnews.com/index.php?action=fullnews&id=276

http://cdbaby.com/new/173

http://stereopmagazine.blogspot.com/2009/05/radiornr-releases-new-faces-new-music.html

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-10250-LA-Rock-Music-Examiner~y2009m5d19-RadioRNR-releases-New-Faces-New-Music-Vol1-Featuring-Top-Unsigned-and-Independent-Music-Artists

Our Music Director, Lisa Rodriguez, would like to set up a time to talk to you about it. Let me know the best number to reach you at and if you have time available tomorrow Saturday Sept 19, 2009 between 9am-12pm PST or on Sunday Sept 20th between 11am-2pm PST to discuss.

I also have included a sample copy of the non-exclusive licensing agreement for you to review which outlines royalty payout structure, distribution, and other details. Make sure you review it to help bring you up to speed for the call. Let me know the best number you can be reached at and Lisa will contact you directly.

Thanks!

Bella

--

Best,

RadioRNR

Music Department

323.774.1370 office

310.300.1849 fax

www.radiornr.com

The Net's HotSpot For Rock!

>

• Members

Did I understand you correctly - this organisation wants the artist to pay $295.00? If so they have an odd understanding of the way this is supposed to work don't you think?

I might try this novel approach out next time I'm at the supermarket. "No, I'm not paying you for these goods. If you want your goods to have the chance to impress me, you'll need to pay me a fee instead". Wonder if that'll work?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My band was contacted by her in late July...I spoke with her for about an hour and she seemed to really know her stuff...also very personable. She created a sense of urgency that I need to commit soon, which raised a red flag (classic scam technique, but also a legit sales technique as well), but I couldn't find anything negative on the web about her or the company (at that time), and there was a previous release on CD Baby. She also had an e-contract sent to me via EchoSign, so it seemed legit. I still knew at the time it could be full of crap, but I figured EchoSign is a legit company and she requested funds through PayPal, which would make it easy to file a dispute. With a bit of concern, I proceeded, signed the contract and paid.

2 weeks went by and I heard nothing back (promised to set up an artist profile on their site), so I filed the dispute with PayPal. She called me right away after that happened, and also pointed out to PayPal that the contract stated the release was set for Sept 30th, 2009. It was only mid-August at this point. The fact that she followed up with me via multiple phone calls, put my mind at ease at little, so I pulled back the dispute (plus she had the contract on her side). Within a few days, our artist profile was setup on the website.

Was later told the release was looking more like late Oct/early Nov. I e-mailed her last week for a status and have not heard back. Sent her one more tonight and will call her in a few days (she specified to call her if I have a concern in the future).

Now when I google her name and RadioRNR, I find a few people like myself. The good news is that I now have a contract on my side should i re-open the dispute with PayPal. I'll keep you guys posted.

• Members

Yeah - i've come to the conclusion that this is 100% a scam. I just went to re-open my dispute with PayPal, but something I missed was that you have to file your dispute with 45 days. The contract intentionally had a date of 60 days out. Round 1 goes to her. I give her credit...she got the better of me.

This does not mean that she won. I WILL get my money back...i don't care how much time I have to waste in order to do so.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks as well...I just got contacted by them as well...think I can safely give it a miss :)

Looking at their cdbaby offering, I figure they've got to be collecting several thousand bucks from artists AND they take a percentage of sales...what are the artists getting out of it???

...oh yeah, they're "promoting" your music.

Sonicbids is rapidily becoming a den of thieves based on the number of scams up there.

• Members

Yeah - i've come to the conclusion that this is 100% a scam. I just went to re-open my dispute with PayPal, but something I missed was that you have to file your dispute with 45 days. The contract intentionally had a date of 60 days out. Round 1 goes to her. I give her credit...she got the better of me.

This does not mean that she won. I WILL get my money back...i don't care how much time I have to waste in order to do so.

WHEW --

how's that working out??

• Members

I just got one claiming to be a charity putting together a compilation CD, and looking to get the band to contribute a song and buy a bulk order of CD's to supposedly sell them at a profit. Sort of like a pay-to-play record label. Definitely a waste of time and money. I can record/print/distribute my own CD's for far less money...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I got an email from Lisa today, but it was a little different:

My Music Dept. discovered your Sonicbids profile and I wanted to set up a time to speak to you this week about participating in our upcoming Compilation series, New Faces, New Music. This particular release will be tied in with live showcases we are hosting during SXSW in Austin, TX next month.

If we were to include your music on the Compilation, you would also be offered a showcase slot to perform live at our showcases at SXSW next month.

Here is a link with about the RadioRNR Showcases:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=239004322179&ref=mf

We are looking to showcase all of the artists that appear on this release of New Faces, New Music Compilation since it will be themed around and heavily promoted at SXSW this year. Due to the production deadlines and high demand of bands who want to play SXSW, we will need to speak to you this week if you are interested in this showcase & compilation opportunity.

Some of the benefits of being on the Compilation include

World wide distribution through over 60 online digital retail outlets, including iTunes, Amazon, Napster, Emusic, Verizon V-Cast, ect

National Distribution of the physical CD into Best Buy stores nationwide

12 week highly publicized and targeted online PR Campaign with our press partners to create hundreds of links of positive press

Artist receive 90% of all digital sales from royalties

Compilation Artist receive showcase invite to perform at one of RadioRNR's showcases at SXSW on March 17th or 18th

Live Showcases will be filmed and broadcast live over the internet from SXSW

I have time available tomorrow (Friday) Feb.11th to discuss this with you. If you are interested in participating, please review the attached licensing agreement which is a sample copy of the agreement we would issue if we were to include your music on the Compilation. There is a $295.00 refundable admin fee required by the artist to secure their spot on the Compilation and a $200.00 entry fee to secure their showcase slot for the SXSW showcases which I will explain in more detail along with the other details and the particular song I am interested in, when we speak.

This is a great opportunity for a band to participate in something very cool that will be highly promoted at SXSW. Not only will your song be on the Compilation we are promoting at SXSW but you would be offered a showcase slot time to perform during SXSW.

February 11th was Thursday..... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I've received the same (or similar) message.

The press release sites that they point to aren't exactly the most reputable - examiner.com is a revenue-sharing article site. Not that it's a bad site (in fact, I write for it), but they could easily write their own press release.

Archived