Magazines/websites that would review an independent "retail ready" CD?

• Members

Could someone please recommend a few places that would review an independent "retail ready" CD?

How can a band that's not in the majors proactively garner a large number of reviews?

Do music magazines/websites have "No CDs Welcome" policies just as A&R guys do, or do they mostly welcome CDs for submission?

• Members

What kind of music do you play?

What I can recommed is looking for as many blogs/websites/magazines that you can that have reviewed bands doing a similar thing and send out as many promo cds or e-mails as you can. Probably won't get a very high sucess rate, but should still get some reviews from them.

Most websites don't have a no submissions policy, in fact seem to welcome them, but their policy is usually that they will only review a small amount of what they recieve, and from my experence quite a few seem to focus on signed bands.

Might be worth starting with local music press if you have any to at least get some kind of press quote you can send around first, as they will probably be easier to get.

• Members

I do some writing for a site called www.reviewyou.com

It costs $35 and you get an aproximately 500 word review written by a professional music journalist that you can use in your promo material or press kit. The review also gets posted on their website where people can see it and you can send a link to it. There are more details on the home page if you are interested.

Archived