KISS and the Sonic Boom WalMart Strategy

• Members

KISS is releasing their new CD in WalMart only. No big shock. But it will include a new CD, a second CD of greatest hits re-recorded by the band, a DVD of a concert from the last tour, and a 20 page booklet. All for $12.99.

I think it's an interesting plan. Not earth-shaking in its originality, but people will perceive this release as being a good deal, because it is. I won't buy it because I think they wrote their last good song in 1981 or so, but I applaud the marketing effort. Giving fans more for their money. To make more money.

• Members

It's seems to be more common with Wal-Mart releases, Journey did the same thing with their latest disc (disc of new tunes, re-recorded greatest hits, and a DVD). I've also read that next up would be Foreigner and Aerosmith with similar releases.

They're hitting their target age demographic with a 2-CD + 1-DVD set at a very reasonable price point, changing the purchase from...just that...a purchase...to an "impulse."

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I love that they finally realized that they don't need a record deal to make records. Their label is listed on the packaging as Kiss Records. Very cool. That's how it ought to be.

However, when I dropped the album in my CD drive, track information did not download and populate the player. I searched around. It's not in any databases. That's just stupid. What a ridiculous oversight. Never thought I'd be listening to another batch of Klassic Kiss Krap with Media Player saying "Unknown Artist, Unknown Album."

Though WalMart wouldn't be my choice as a distributor, I think the deal is sound. There's no reason to put the album everywhere anymore. It would cost a lot more in the distributor's piece. However, there's no excuse for them not selling the album at KissOnline.com.

The independent mentality is so deeply ingrained in me that many of these things seem like no brainers. I guess Gene and co. are still learning. :~)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Side note - I had a chance to listen to the new KISS album. Sorry, but it's crap. CRAP. I might have liked it when I was 12. Maybe. They are most definitely a parody of themselves. But they're still making money. To each his own.

KISS has always pandered to 12 year olds.

I was bored of them at 15 (when Love Gun came out...they suddenly seemed to be Saturday morning cartoon characters. Not cool any more.) and moved on to Prog Rock.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

The mix on the album is WAY too loud and I don't like the ultra-modern production. The songs are okay, but pretty weak compared to the 70s and also the 80s stuff (I like both periods in different ways). Still, pretty impressive considering Gene and Paul are about the same age as my dad.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I don't want to start an argument but on several points I have a different opinion. Disclaimer - Life long Kiss fan-

1. The CD is good. It sounds like a classic Kiss record. If that means pandering to 13 year old then so be it. Tommy's guitar playing sounds like Ace might have w/o the booze and the drugs. Eric Singer has always been a great match for the band.

2. The production is not modern at all. They recorded the basic tracks on tape. Yes, I said tape.

3. It is miles better than "Psycho Circus" or "Carnival Of Souls" their last two cd's where they were chasing more modern (at the time) sounds. In particular, Kiss trying to be Soundgarden on COS was just terrible.

4. CD's are being mastered extremely hot these days. There is a loudness war going on. Try putting a cd from the same genre, say thrash metal, from 5or 10 years ago followed by a new release at the same volume - OUCH! I'm not saying it's right or good, it just is.

Kiss made a classic Kiss record about partying and pu**y, which is the essence of the band. Similarly, AC/DC put out their CD in Walmart the same way and it was just classic AC/DC - three chords, some screaming, Phill Rudd's big right foot and some wiggly Angus solos. What more do you need?

I like it when bands just put out the music that they do and not chase trends. I don't want Kiss to sound like Nickelback. I like three chords and a verse about Gene's huge cock. :cop:

• Members

But ya know, Kiss has always tinkered with their sound: Dynasty, The Elder, Unmasked, Carnival of Souls, etc. It wasn't always the right direction, but I liked that exploration...which is why I was so bummed by Sonic Boom. Yeah, they captured that 70s vibe, but it felt so stale--except for the title track.

And Wal-mart requiring a CD of remakes has gotta stop. I understand the financial reasons, but between why would I want to listen to remakes that TRY to capture the original song's magic? Now if they did all acoustic songs or turned all their acoustic songs into electric...might be cool.

• Members

I don't want to start an argument but on several points I have a different opinion. Disclaimer - Life long Kiss fan-

1. The CD is good. It sounds like a classic Kiss record. If that means pandering to 13 year old then so be it. Tommy's guitar playing sounds like Ace might have w/o the booze and the drugs. Eric Singer has always been a great match for the band.

2. The production is not modern at all. They recorded the basic tracks on tape. Yes, I said tape.

3. It is miles better than "Psycho Circus" or "Carnival Of Souls" their last two cd's where they were chasing more modern (at the time) sounds. In particular, Kiss trying to be Soundgarden on COS was just terrible.

4. CD's are being mastered extremely hot these days. There is a loudness war going on. Try putting a cd from the same genre, say thrash metal, from 5or 10 years ago followed by a new release at the same volume - OUCH! I'm not saying it's right or good, it just is.

Kiss made a classic Kiss record about partying and pu**y, which is the essence of the band. Similarly, AC/DC put out their CD in Walmart the same way and it was just classic AC/DC - three chords, some screaming, Phill Rudd's big right foot and some wiggly Angus solos. What more do you need?

I like it when bands just put out the music that they do and not chase trends. I don't want Kiss to sound like Nickelback. I like three chords and a verse about Gene's huge cock.
:cop:

Was a 70's kiss fan of course becasue I was only a kid. I actually later on liked stuff from The Elder, though for 1982 as a Kiss record without the movie (It was concieved as a soundtrack to another Kiss movie) it was a disasterous move, but they couldnt be a new wave band either.

I didnt even mind what detractors called "Kiss-co." Dynasty has some good songs and the disco inspired "I was made for loving you" you can't deny was a hit.

And as for them trying to sound like Soundgarden I think you meant them trying to sound like Alice in Chains, but even that wasn't so bad. Gene actually sounded inspired on the typical demon voice songs like "Hate"

But I was totally off the wagon when they (Gene and Paul) stopped caring. Psycho Circus was NOT what I waited for. Times had changed and I could simply just be a blind fan anymore. Gene has overexposed himself and all their moves are done strictly for money, as in this Sonic Boom wouldn't have existed if it weren't for a Wal-Mart deal. Nothing wrong with making a buck. But it's not like they didn't enjoy the cash cow of the late 70's. And all the bucks they got for the reunion tour that never went away. ANd dont worry when they are 70 they will be out there for the 50th anniversary of the Alive album!!

There is no boom or anything sonic on Sonic Boom. Watch the clips of them on youtube. Gene and pual both look lost in the studio. And Tommy is just playing his role. It's not about Skill. They need Ace's Ballsy guitar and his city grit. Sonic Boom was as bland as Chinese Democracy. Just generic Rock.

• Members

Good arguments, all, but I still like it. Sue me...

I didn't know it was Wally World that required the remakes, I figured it was Paul & Gene trying to screw Ace & Peter out of future mechanical royalties by using these new soundalike tracks in future projects as well as 3rd party licensing.

• Members

Good arguments, all, but I still like it. Sue me...

I didn't know it was Wally World that required the remakes, I figured it was Paul & Gene trying to screw Ace & Peter out of future mechanical royalties by using these new soundalike tracks in future projects as well as 3rd party licensing.

Yeah, I've heard that's a big part of these sorts of remakes. Journey did the same thing having Arnel Pineda record vocals for all the Journey classics. He does a great job, but come on...you can't take it past the original.

• Members

I like the album, it's fun and I don't try to over analyze it.

I've been a Kiss fan since the 70's, sure it's simplistic cheese rock but the point of it was never to be that serious to start with.

Walmart has a pretty good distribution system so it makes marketing sense to put your product where people shop, there are the few oddballs out there that don't go to WalMart but other than that the rest of the country does.

I like the remakes for the most part, Tommy does a great job and plays it with the same flair as Ace (who is one of my biggest influences) and in some cases cleaner and better.

Eric Singer is just a great drummer, who has played with Kiss, Black Sabbath, and Alice Cooper among tons of other bands.

• Members

It may seem a bit like analyzing which is the best Archies song. but yes, no matter how much of an ass Gene has been about money, there are still some, Paul included, who actually do care about the music.

• Members

It may seem a bit like analyzing which is the best Archies song. but yes, no matter how much of an ass Gene has been about money, there are still some, Paul included, who actually do care about the music.

Lyric from Danger Us from the Sonic Boom disc:

Two parts trouble

Ready steady rough

Danger me, danger you

Danger Us

They are in their {censored}ing 60's!!!! They get AARP magazine sent to their house. And they can't turn a phrase better than that? THAT is the best they can do?

Don't tell me they care about anything other than making a buck. They look at their brand as a way to make money, nothing more. And they do a fine job doing that. They care about it the same way a CEO cares about his company. It is not an artistic statement, it is about productivity and profitability. Nothing more.

And I think that if Gene or Paul read that last paragraph, they would unashamedly agree. And good for them. Just don't confuse their version of "care about the music" with the a common perception of what that means.

• Members

Shame I refuse to shop at Wal Mart anymore.

"The High Cost of Low Prices"

Yeah. I'm with you. I don't shop at Asda in the Uk as they bought them. I saw a documentary on Wal Mart and it was shocking..

• Members

I like the new Kiss CD. But some people like "Bob Dylan" and others dont. I personally cant stand Bob Dylan. But to me the new Kiss CD is a pretty good. As was the new AC/DC album. But listeners and musicians have different taistes. So there will always be an argument.

Archived