Releasing Demo on a USB Flash Drive!? Any info?

• Members

I'm interested in the possibility of distributing my artist demo via USB Flash Drives. I really think it's a slick idea, and I'm into finding interesting ways to get my product that 'unusual factor' that just might leave an impression. Plus, the ability to have other media easily involved is attractive to someone really trying to fully 'demonstrate' themselves as an artist/product.

I know there have been some flash drive releases by a few big artists, but I can't seem to find much info on where to go to get a good price on pre-loaded flash drives. I've found a couple of sites, but the cheapest I've seen is $7.99 per unit! Surely there is a better deal somewhere (without having to order 10,000 units) and I was wondering if any of you folks had any interesting leads for me!

Thanks in advance!

halcyo

• Members

It's a great idea, but maybe wait a few years until these things become as ubiquitous as CD-Rs. Or even DVD-Rs. Even better if you can get your band's logo printed on the USB stick.

In the interim, I'd recommend bringing a cheap, capable, USB-equipped laptop to gigs, and offer people to have your songs downloaded onto the sticks from the laptop.

• Members

It's a great idea, but maybe wait a few years until these things become as ubiquitous as CD-Rs. Or even DVD-Rs. Even better if you can get your band's logo printed on the USB stick.

In the interim, I'd recommend bringing a cheap, capable, USB-equipped laptop to gigs, and offer people to have your songs downloaded onto the sticks from the laptop.

Well the whole point is to stand out and be unusual:mad:! If I wait for them to be commonplace, that will sort of cancel out the effect, don't you think?:facepalm:

Anyone have any information or ideas on this?:confused::thu:

• Members

Major studios have been using thumb drives in various distribution capacities (such as sending out demos) for about a year -- including large record companies and movie studios. They are already ramping it up to replace other mediums. You can already buy some media on thumb drives.

A great system IMO. Enough trash in our landfills. Of course the whole DRM issue will be a wet sock but...

I think it's brilliant -- go for it!

• Members

I'm hoping to! Anyone here have any leads on where to look for buying these in bulk? It would be great if I could personalize them and have 'em pre-loaded, but I'd be willing to save cost doing it myself if they didn't have some dumb company logo on 'em!

halcyo

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Consider your audience. If you only want computer geeks as fans, then the USB is a highly targeted, ingenious method of promotion. What about car stereos and boom-boxes? Maybe some of your potential fans are not so tech savvy. You want to reach Vinny Camaro as well as Joe Flashdrive.

• Members

Certainly this is something I could see become more common in the future, but I mean, whats wrong with cd's? They work in computers and cars
:)

Nothing is wrong with cd's. My interest in the Flashdrive is that it would be a STRIKING way to hand someone your music. Hand someone a cd, and they'll likely toss it before they even listen! Hand them a flashdrive, and they will at least be curious! It would be unusual and interesting, and would give your 'brand' a kind of 'upscale, progressive' feel.

• Members

I think one problem is that thumb-drive-as-swag is already a decently mature model in other industries - so that thumb as an unusual/notable promotional tool comes down to financing and scale of the marketing effort (they aren't the bellybutton yet for smaller operations b/c of the cost)

Flash, being RAM is kind of a double edged sword

- it's attractive in that it has utility for the user (the user can use them to store their own {censored})

-On the gripping hand, that can also put the focus on the swag itself as opposed to the product attached to it (some of the folks will grab the thumb and delete everything off it right off the bat)

and, without labelling, it just becomes another thumbdrive

• Members

-On the gripping hand, that can also put the focus on the swag itself as opposed to the product attached to it (some of the folks will grab the thumb and delete everything off it right off the bat)

and, without labelling, it just becomes another thumbdrive

Very good points. I guess it would only be a really striking presentation if the thumbdrive had your logo on it or something, and I guess this kind of packaging just isn't very affordable yet!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I disagree. Most of my buddies buy CD's and the first thing they do is rip the music onto iTunes since they always work on their computers and rarely go back to the CD. I think a USB drive would rock, and it's not as annoying to carry around or buy at a show cause it fits in any pocket instead of a bulkier CD. Plus since it's newer, I think people would be more attracted to it then the regular old CD on a merch table, though having both couldn't hurt I admit.

I'd be interested to know the difference in cost / unit.

• Members

I disagree. Most of my buddies buy CD's and the first thing they do is rip the music onto iTunes since they always work on their computers and rarely go back to the CD.

One thing to consider is that the distribution medium (CD/flash) doesn't necesrilly mean they would be using that medium over and over -- for instance your buddies woul take the memcard, rip to itunes, and then the memcard can wind up just like the CDs

I think a USB drive would rock, and it's not as annoying to carry around or buy at a show cause it fits in any pocket instead of a bulkier CD.

The OP is talking primarilly about releasing a demo(nstration) -- so it has somewhat different parameters...you aren't recouping any cost (it's a demo), the target consumer isn't necessrilly interested in your product (as would be the people who buy the music at a merch table)

Plus since it's newer, I think people would be more attracted to it then the regular old CD on a merch table...

I'd be interested to know the difference in cost / unit.

that's the rub (we're looking at several dollars per unit difference) - yes, they are unusual and sexy, but that's tied to the per unit cost right now.

they have already been popular swag items in bteer financed areas - at first they were very sexy, now less so as the cost drops.

In terms of a demo item, we also have the problem of someone just plain more interested in the memory than the contents

• Members

if someone hands me a CD, I'm going to put it in my cd player and give it a fair listen. Even if it wasn't that great I'd still keep it because maybe I'd like it later. if someone hands me a flash drive demo, I'll stick it in my computer, skip through the files and if it doesn't seem like something I'd be into, I'd just wipe them and use the drive for other stuff.

• Members

if someone hands me a CD, I'm going to put it in my cd player and give it a fair listen. Even if it wasn't that great I'd still keep it because maybe I'd like it later. if someone hands me a flash drive demo, I'll stick it in my computer, skip through the files and if it doesn't seem like something I'd be into, I'd just wipe them and use the drive for other stuff.

Same here. I'd take the demo just to get a free USB drive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • Members

I run an IT Repair business in eastern VA.  One of my clients already has his demo on a flashdrive setup for autoplay on windows.  I'm currently working on transitioning it to work from mac and pc off of one drive.  Im having trouble finding a suitable software on Macs Side that will have the same application interface.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived