Sharing Music For Free

• Members

Hey there, I'm hoping for some suggestions on how to share my music for free.

I write a short song (~1 minute long) everyday and post it to a website called dailymelodies.com

I don't want any money for it but I do want as many people as possible to know about it

I've just started on these forums to try and let interested parties know, but don't want to abuse the friendship...

Is it wrong to start a thread and post a link to each day's melody?

How can I do this without people automatically thinking that i'm just another dude trying to sell tracks?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, probably (wrong) -- as it is a daily ocurrence, the fact that a new tune exists...on schedule isn't really newsworthy. It's just spam at that point

I don't want any money for it but I do want as many people as possible to know about it

Welcome to advertsing where "attention" is the commodity

"one of those way-hip meta commodities like click-through or bandwidth" - Bruce Stirling, Zeitgeist

• Members

Yeah , like the other guy said , spam as much people as you can , and invade messages boards.

and put it in your sig.

By the way , if you could leave a comment on our myspace...

and vote for us in the bodog battle of the bands(there's in a link in our blog)

Oh and read our blog too

Just kidding

Visit our myspace:thu:

• Members

I definitely don't want to spam... it drives me spastic...

It's a little tricky because every avenue that you think you could take ends up being a harder road than you envisaged...

forums for example seem to be the perfect place to notify a like-minded community about what you do, but you can't be too direct or it's classed as advertising so you have to try all these subtle ways that take 1000 times longer...

tricky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

but doing things for money is what has put music in this {censored} state... when no money can be made, true passion comes forth... not prostitution

No, I think where no money can be made, artists move on to some other area. If no money is made selling CD's, artists will be touring more and recording less.

True passion is what causes us to write and record. Beyond that, you're not talking passion any more. You're talking either ego or dollars. I don't think either is bad.

My son is 7 and he loves to build stuff with his Legos. He puts a lot of time and energy into it. When he finishes a spaceship, or whatever he's building, he wants to SHOW one of us. And we compliment him for it. We're not all that different from a 7 year old, but again, I don't have a problem with it. To continue the analogy, he's not then asking us for a viewing fee. He doesn't care about money. But he's 7. I care about money, because music costs me money and I have other expenses (house, cars, etc.) So even though I play original music at coffee houses, that 40 bucks in the tip jar lets me buy cables, picks, strings, etc. Or in some cases I'll save those up and buy a new PA speaker or guitar or whatever. Music has become a break even thing for me, instead of costing me money, and that was actually a goal of mine. It's not greed or prostitution, it's realism.

• Members

but doing things for money is what has put music in this {censored} state... when no money can be made, true passion comes forth... not prostitution

Go listen to all the wonderful innovations in music that came out of cold war Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union.

• Members

How can I do this without people automatically thinking that i'm just another dude trying to sell tracks?

No, it's not wrong to start a thread and post your links. But yes, people will automatically think you're just another dude selling tracks...because you are.

• Members

But yes, people will automatically think you're just another dude selling tracks...because you are.

hmmm, but i'm not buddy - not one cent - download them all free - do with them what you please - just don't make money from them

as for the "money killed the music" debate... my opinion is based on the fact that music was around before currency... and if we took away the two things that drive contemporary music today (visual appeal and dollar potential) music would still be made and heard...

the question is...

which environment would produce more unique developments, and enhance skills?

• Members

I write a short song (~1 minute long) everyday and post it to a website called dailymelodies.com

Very nice! Some of the best stuff I've heard on the HC forums.

Great concept. :thu:

(Ignore those who whine and have 15,000 posts because they live their lives on HC. They somehow think what they have to write is profound and the world needs to know their thoughts on every topic.)

• Members

Cabsy,

I really like the concept of pushing yourself to write something new every day.

I agree with most of the other guys about spamming. People join this forum [hopefully] to participate and communicate with other people. While talking about your music will certainly be welcome from time to time, people will get tired of you and think you are just spamming the forums if that's all you talk about. If you become active here, engage in a lot of discussions, offer help and advice when you can, make people laugh, etc., then people will be more inclined to check out the links in your sig.

Btw, I liked the May 5th tune. I wish it hadn't ended so suddenly.

• Members

this is bull. Plenty of great music is being made by musicians being well paid. Maybe your just not prepared to do what is needed to market your music. Your not lacking talent, IMO. I listened to several of your tunes and thought they were good. But I don't hear any more passion than I do from good players being paid well to play. Then again maybe what your doing will lead to some incredible opportunity. I like the idea you have and admire the way your going about it from a creative standpoint. I think you should take the next step and find a way for it to become self sustaining, but that's just my opinion. That would involve creativity of a different sort. I'm not sure how it's going to help the musical community of players or listeners if large numbers of people give away their time and talent for free. Maybe it will help you, who knows. Oh, and finally, there are guys out there who get paid to play whatever they want, who are not prostituting anything-your thought above seems a bit elitist, as though you are above guys who are making money on some artistic scale. That is also bull{censored}. For example:

• Members

whoa

that's a little overboard... i'm not even accidentally insinuating any elitism... sorry you took it that way bro

Saying that money has disturbed music's development is not meant to imply people that play for money are prostituting themselves...

I meant the mainstream music industry itself has lost it's connection with the art form... it's run by marketers, not musicians... it's driven by the fact that people will buy millions of copies of an album...

It doesn't encourage musicians to become great - i'm a teacher and see the things people want to learn... i have to work really, really hard to get them to see the benefit in listening to Bach or Tal or Ravi

There's still loads of incredible music and musicians in the world... because of the cultural heritage of many peoples, rather than the good deeds of a marketer.

• Members

You wrote that music was in a {censored} state, I didn't get that you were only referring to the business of marketing it. Sorry I mis understood, but I still don't entirely agree with the idea that even mainstream music does not encourage excellence. There are great musicians working in commercial music production too. I wouldn't credit record companies for their talent, but I think there is still a market for good music and that even today's young players would be well served to find a way to market their talent instead of giving in to the idea that it has to be given away to be heard(not saying that's you) As I said I enjoyed your tunes. I think you have a great idea, but I'd like it even more if you ended up making a ton of money for it.

whoa

that's a little overboard... i'm not even accidentally insinuating any elitism... sorry you took it that way bro

Saying that money has disturbed music's development is not meant to imply
people
that play for money are prostituting themselves...

I meant the mainstream music industry itself has lost it's connection with the art form... it's run by marketers, not musicians... it's driven by the fact that people will buy millions of copies of an album...

It doesn't encourage musicians to become great - i'm a teacher and see the things people want to learn... i have to work really, really hard to get them to see the benefit in listening to Bach or Tal or Ravi

There's still loads of incredible music and musicians in the world... because of the cultural heritage of many peoples, rather than the good deeds of a marketer.

• Members

my opinion is based on the fact that music was around
before
currency...

A couple of points to consider when using currency as a line of historical demarkation

Trade predates currency (barter)

Division of labor predates trade (subsistence culture)

which environment would produce more unique developments, and enhance skills?

"unique developments" may not be helpful in general enhancement of musical culture as, being unique, they arent disseminated

• Members

haha, thanks mate... a ton of money would never be annoying

but... it would be if I went searching for it.

This really is one of those subjects where we have to agree to disagree...

I love that musicians can make money from their trade... money to pay bills, and live life... i teach music, and live from it, and love it.... but like all things, I don't believe anyone in any trade should be allowed to create such a mass of wealth from it that it separates them from anyone else... and the numbers we're talking when it comes to music are big...

big dollars corrupt industries and there is fallout... fallout socially, fallout culturally, and fallout creatively...

we'll never know what music would have been like without the advent of a high-rolling music industry, but my personal belief is that we would be hearing a lot more diversity, there'd be a greater appreciation of a wider range of styles, there would be a larger number of highly skilled performers, and there would be less people in the industry that are not musicians - meaning music would be owned and operated my musicians...

• Members

oh, and thanks for the tips re: wording...

the right wording is essential, but always eludes me... apologies

we have too many words in english... another discussion all together!

:)

• Members

George Carlin had a great bit about how that line can mov with

"ever notice how anyone that drives slower thn you is an asshole and anyone that drives faster than you is a maniac"

by living in true non-subsistence, we are separating ourselves from others

by having a door we can close we are separating ourselves from others

we'll never know what music would have been like without the advent of a high-rolling music industry

there is still music from non- and semi-industrialized cultures

"music" doesn't have to be monolithic

Archived