Itunes versus Amazon: WAR

• Members

I read a news story yesterday that some of the big companies/artists were siding with Amazon in a potential trade-war against Itunes.

The story was much more detailed than this. I'll see if I can dig it back up.

What does this mean for indie artists who represent themselves with online retailers like Amazon and Itunes through CDbaby, tunecore, and the like?

• Members

It means those artists should try and promote themselves to Amazon, if that's what you're trying to imply, I guess.

Or are you wondering how to get your music off of iTunes, yet keep it on Amazon? I'm not sure how that works with Tunecore, CD Baby, etc, but it seems as if an artist doesn't like a certain retailer, they should be able to.

Did you ever end up looking into INDISTR.com? with us, you're in total control, 100% of the time.

• Members

I read a news story yesterday that some of the big companies/artists were siding with Amazon in a potential trade-war against Itunes. What does this mean for indie artists who represent themselves with online retailers like Amazon and Itunes through CDbaby, tunecore, and the like?

Why do I imagine one of those big newspaper front pages with WAR! written in such large font there's no room for any copy? :)

It's impossible to tell at this point if it's truly "war" or not. Certainly, whenever one store is doing a lot of business and another comes along with a similar or identical product, there's going to be competition, and it usually behooves one of the parties to call it "war"--because gosh, that's exciting.

I'm glad that TuneCore customers can sit back and watch the action, if there is any, with their music in both stores, only one or neither. You can always add or remove a store, it's no problem. We'll see how it plays out.

I'm glad to see any competition anywhere--it can only bode well for the industry.

--Peter

peter@tunecore.com

• Members

The war I'd like to see is which giant will give the bulk of the profit to the artist. iTunes takes about 30% of each download, which seems insane to me. True, I get .70 of each buck, but when you see the percentage you realize it's pretty big for how little they do.

I know...they've got the traffic...

• Members

The war I'd like to see is which giant will give the bulk of the profit to the artist. iTunes takes about 30% of each download, which seems insane to me. True, I get .70 of each buck, but when you see the percentage you realize it's pretty big for how little they do.

I know...they've got the traffic...

Good Angle!!! I didn't think about that!!!!

"Join us, the Dark Side, and we will give you 90%"

"No, join us, the Minions of Mordor, and we will give you 92%"

I LOVE it!!!!

Only in America!

(and in Canada [tunecore])

• Members

I'm just envisioning a scenario where these two mega-giants make their artists pick a side. That would suck.

Amazon still does physical sales though...so they can still make revenue in other sectors of the music industry aside from downloads. I haven't read much on the issue, but I think they still make the majority of their money from digital sales. Either way that potential to sell physical product (they sell books, dvds, a lot of entertainment oriented material) is still there and I don't see Amazon dividing their large consumer base and forcing them to choose whether or not they purchase from them or itunes.

• Members

You guys are forgetting that artists have no say, the record label is the one with the distribution contacts.

Actually, this is a little misleading. You don't have to be on a record label to use either of these means of distribution. If I went to Tunecore today, to get my music on iTunes or Amazon, it means I have to have a record deal???

WRONG.

Another thing, with INDISTR.com the artists have 100% control of their music, 100% of the time.

Thanks

• Members

Actually, this is a little misleading. You don't have to be on a record label to use either of these means of distribution. If I went to Tunecore today, to get my music on iTunes or Amazon, it means I have to have a record deal???

WRONG.

Another thing, with INDISTR.com the artists have 100% control of their music, 100% of the time.

Thanks

I wonder if you're trying to push indistr.com? ;)

• Members

No, just letting people know it is available, especially the one's who think digital distribution is in the hands of the labels, which is 100% not the case with INDISTR.

Do I work for INDISTR? yes. Do I stand behind the product 100%? yes. Would I like for every person on this forum to realize there are alternatives to iTunes/snocap/Amazon, that have greater benefits from all of these distributors? yes.

That's all.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

kevin@indistr.com

• Members

I just can't find the story, it was on bloomberg or ft or AP, it was a legitimate source, but I can't find it now. I'm sorry. I haven't posted it because I neither found it nor wanted to give up looking. I'm officially giving up. I was hoping for inside info anyway by posting the topic here, using the story as a jumping off point to begin with.

• 1 year later...

Archived