Rainburn - Prog Metal from India!

Vats

• Moderators

Guys...the music rocks, you are obviously competent musicians and well rehearsed...but a few things...

1) if you want the video to look live, you need the audience in the same place on each take :wave:

2) Your editor, well, he tries to cut on the beat, but he is missing it...he needs to anticipate it, plus many of the cuts are jarring from the perspective shifts [looking out from behind the drums, looking 180 degrees back onto the stage]...and most fail to do anything but offer another perspective, but there is no 'grabber' to justify it...close-ups? Lacking...

3) looking at your audience, I counted maybe 5 females ...you boys ain't gonna get laid this way...play music women can dance to!!! ;)

• Members
Guys...the music rocks, you are obviously competent musicians and well rehearsed...but a few things...

1) if you want the video to look live, you need the audience in the same place on each take :wave:

2) Your editor, well, he tries to cut on the beat, but he is missing it...he needs to anticipate it, plus many of the cuts are jarring from the perspective shifts [looking out from behind the drums, looking 180 degrees back onto the stage]...and most fail to do anything but offer another perspective, but there is no 'grabber' to justify it...close-ups? Lacking...

3) looking at your audience, I counted maybe 5 females ...you boys ain't gonna get laid this way...play music women can dance to!!! ;)

Hi!

Thank you :-)

(1) The videos were shot across 5 shows of a tour we did called Progworks on Wheels. The title slide at the beginning mentions the 5 cities, the acknowledgements screens names all 5 venues as does the video description on YouTube. There's no intent to pretend it's the same show...the audio is from one single show though (the 4th night of the tour in Bangalore).

(2) I agree. The video is culled from all the footage we could find (mostly shot by other people). In most cases, an Indian indie band's budget doesn't really allow shoots with closeups and such in 5 different cities :-) The original idea was actually to just put it out as live audio but we found all this cool footage through various people who came to the gigs and decided to make a compilation of it.

(3) Haha! We don't really play music to get laid and I think we get laid enough otherwise; thank you for the concern though :p

Thanks again for watching and for the detailed feedback! (incl point #3, haha...will relay that to the rest of the band)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Vats - I really enjoyed the music. While personally, Im more of a "pocket" drummer so into "pocket" music, your music reminds me of a contemporary version of Rush or Yes. Lots of time signature transitions and syncopated hits.

What's more - it's tight.

It's great to see a band be well rehearsed.

Tell us more about the "from India" part. This is intriguing. Does this mean you are playing primarily in India? Do you find there is a large audience for this music there? Is the live scene better there (than it is in the U.S.)?

Thanks

D

• Members

Hi Dendy,

Thanks a lot! I love those two bands you mentioned :)

We've only played gigs in India (thus far). I don't really know how things are in the US but there isn't much of an audience for a lot of live music here, far less for this sort of thing which is understandably niche. Audience numbers are small but I'm grateful for whatever they are. To be honest, we've had far more enthusiastic responses from people abroad (especially, Europe/UK) than back home. Classic Rock Magazine put our EP on their list of "Top 5 Prog Albums of 2015", for instance :)

Since you mentioned "in the pocket" you might find this more to your liking, although it's quite sparse, drums-wise. It was recorded at the same show as the one above was. Once again, thanks for the comment, it's much appreciated!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived