SORA STORY SORT OF A FAIRY-TALE: NEW CD BY EXCITING SINGER

donnaf

• Members

I guess I believe in fairy-tales. I heard this new album (Scorpion Moon) by the Canadian singer and composer Sora (she just goes by the one name -- move over Madonna). I was knocked out by her voice so I went online to find out more about her, and I read that even though she grew up playing the violin and piano, she did not start singing until much later in her life. No one thought of her as a singer, but she had ideas for songs (melodies and lyrics), so she started singing them. And lo and behold a new voice was unveiled to the world. Now she has her fourth recording released.

There is another reason Sora makes me believe in fairy-tales. Her lyrics are often based on fairy-tales and other age-old stories. For example, “Proof of Life” was inspired by “The Velveteen Rabbit;” “Mermaid’s Song” derives from the “The Little Mermaid” story by Hans Christian Anderson; “The Tower” takes another look at Rapunzel’s story; and “Piper” has its roots in the tale of children following a flute-player. Sora also was inspired by “One-Thousand-and-One-Nights” and writes other tunes about heroes, savages and the feeling Welch people have when they are homesick or nostalgic.

Sora comes out of the Loreena McKennitt and Sarah McLachlan school of Canadian singer-songwriters who have a hint of Celtic music about them. Sora has, perhaps, a more powerful and operatic voice than those two, but like them, Sora’s vision is unique and her voice is high, pure and distinctive.

Sora’s music is well worth checking out. It is always a pleasure to find a new, exciting, worthy musical talent out there...sort of a dream come true.

Archived