So whats the best way to get into a band?

• Members

I've been playing guitar for about 12 years now, and have only played with a handful of other folks.

What are the steps I need to take to get into a band that gigs semi-regularly. I haven't played with any bands since post college. :(

I'm 31 and work a day job, so no aspirations for rock stardom.

Answering ads in the back of the Memphis Music Paper seems to be a crap shoot. Either they are flake-os or play nu-metal.

Memphis has too many damn guitar players. :mad:

• Members

What I did to get back into playing (after a many-year layoff) was to enroll in a local music school's "Blues/Rock Ensemble" class for a couple of semesters. That let me get my ear and hand back in shape, and meet other people who were looking to do the same thing. I've formed a band with a guy I met in the class, and found a couple of others through a local musicians' web site, and we're starting to play out. Just a thought...

Good luck - I've been there!

• Members

Originally posted by Darth Strings

I've been playing guitar for about 12 years now, and have only played with a handful of other folks.

What are the steps I need to take to get into a band that gigs semi-regularly. I haven't played with any bands since post college.
:(

Answering ads in the back of the Memphis Music Paper seems to be a crap shoot. Either they are flake-os or play nu-metal.

Memphis has too many damn guitar players.
:mad:

I started mine through work colleagues, I was stunned to find one guy i'd been working with for years was a stellar drummer, and if you ask around at work you may find similar revelations. I was lucky enough to have a bass playing friend. Once you've got a band together you just need to rehearse and get good. Failing that why not place an advert rather than answering them?

• Members

i'm in a similar situation. i used to be in a band (about a million years ago) and just recently started to play again. luckily i have a neighbor who plays drums, so i get to jam with her every once in a while.

i put an ad in HC stating that i was an average musician looking for other average musicians to jam for fun. as a bonus, the drum-playing neighbor owns the local bar/resaurant, so we'd have a place to gig out when we thought we were ready.

i must have got 15 responses from really nice people. therer are a lot of us out there, but we don't know where to start.

unfortunately, the drummer got busy and we never got a chance to do anything. but we're still trying...

• Members

Well, one of the best things you can do IMO is start getting out and supporting your local music scene. Find bands you like and go to their gigs and talk to them. Talk to the club owners and bartenders too. Not only will this help you get gigs down the road, but you'll find out which musicians are good and which bands are good, and you'll be around if somebody quits or a band breaks up. Finding the right band is often just a matter of getting on the grapevine and being in the right place at the right time - so make sure you are!

• Members

Originally posted by Darth Strings

What are the steps I need to take to get into a band that gigs semi-regularly. I haven't played with any bands since post college.

Memphis has too many damn guitar players.
:mad:

HC Classifieds

scroll down to where the musican ads are and type in your zip code....you'll find something there.

:cool:

• Members

Thanks for all the tipz dudes. The other problem is I commute about 50 minutes each way to Holly Springs, MS each day. There aren't any musicians here in the plant, unfortunately.

I like the idea of joining some kind of local ensemble or jam group. I might have to do some digging....

• Members

Yes there are many guitar players in memphis (and I'm one of them). I'll suggest going places where musicians hang out. Open mic nights are a pretty good start. I think there's one at Zinnie's Full Moon Club in midtown on tuesdays or something. Used to be a pretty good one at the P&H on mondays. If you're looking for a singer, drop in on some karaoke bars. Never know. I'm sure there are a number of open mic/karaoke places listed in the Memphis Flyer.

If you're a songwriter, go to one of the various songwriter workshops in town.

• Members

Originally posted by smorrell

Yes there are many guitar players in memphis (and I'm one of them). I'll suggest going places where musicians hang out. Open mic nights are a pretty good start. I think there's one at Zinnie's Full Moon Club in midtown on tuesdays or something. Used to be a pretty good one at the P&H on mondays. If you're looking for a singer, drop in on some karaoke bars. Never know. I'm sure there are a number of open mic/karaoke places listed in the Memphis Flyer.

open mics are an EXELLENT idea. and I found our current frontman @ a karaoke bar.

it's true....:o

• Members

Very cool! I may have to check that out.

What band do you play with here in town?

Unfortunately, I'm not a songwriter, and would probably be a little shy about an open mic night. I would need to check it out a few times first (without my guitar). :p

Originally posted by smorrell

• Members

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Well, one of the best things you can do IMO is start getting out and supporting your local music scene. Find bands you like and go to their gigs and talk to them. Talk to the club owners and bartenders too. Not only will this help you get gigs down the road, but you'll find out which musicians are good and which bands are good, and you'll be around if somebody quits or a band breaks up. Finding the right band is often just a matter of getting on the grapevine and being in the right place at the right time - so make sure you are!

+1000 to everything Lee said. Gotta get out there and get in the local network.

• Members

Thats excellent advice as well! I SHOULD go out to see more live music. Memphis has a great, diverse music scene, and I take it for granted far too often.

• Members

Originally posted by forceman

Depending on the location, why not check out craigslist.org?

I have had great success hooking up with people here in metro Detroit via Craigslist.

The price is also right- $00.00!
:)

Yeah, craigslist is great, and not just for musicians either. If you've never checked it out, definitely do so! And be sure to check the "best-of craigslist" if you want to laugh for hours. :D

• Members

I too am a firm believer in Craigs list. I set my goals high when putting a band together and asked that musicians that cannot sing, need not apply. What discovered is that musicians that can sing and play are usually very talented as well and would love to join a band with all vocals.

• Members

Yeah, that's the bonus part of "networking" by going out to see other live music... you get to hear some great music too!
:)
And probably meet a lot of great people/musicians you wouldn't have otherwise.

ditto on networking. i've been able to be around a steady group of musicians from putting in my dues by going and playing shows over the years. it's still hard to find the right members though. want ads at music stores used to always work for me. maybe try that. (if someone has mentioned that already then forgive me for repeating it. :p )

• Members

:D

Sorry man! I play guitar OK - I've only had about a years worth of piano lessons, and I wan't that hot.

Thanks for the invite though!

DS

Originally posted by Cortfan

Here's an idea. Learn to play keys and call me. I'm serious. We have been looking for a good keys player for over 3 years. Try the message boards at the Guitar Center in Bartlett, or Strings & Things in mid-town. The Memphis Flyer usually has slim pickin's.
www.735band.com

Archived