soul/R&B bands?

elsongs

• Members

I know most of the bands here do rock, but any bands here do soul. funk, R&B, neo-soul, acid-jazz, etc? In other words, your band does not have any loud guitars (and the guitar plays a mostly rhythm role), there's probably a horn instrument (or two, or three or more) and your singer(s) can actually sing. I just wanna know if there's anything like that here.

• Moderators

Originally posted by elsongs

I know most of the bands here do rock, but any bands here do soul. funk, R&B, neo-soul, acid-jazz, etc? In other words, your band does not have any loud guitars (and the guitar plays a mostly rhythm role), there's probably a horn instrument (or two, or three or more) and your singer(s) can actually
sing
. I just wanna know if there's anything like that here.

Well, I'm in a jump blues type band, we don't play loud, I use no fx, and we cover old R&B, sould etc, like James Brown Sam & Dave...plus Cab Calloway, Louis Jordan,...stuff like that...just a 5 piece combo, one of everything...;)

• Members

I play in an R&B band. I hate the term neo-soul but I guess it would apply. Femmme vocals mostly. Lots of keys and synths, and tight harmonies.

I also play in a funk band. The guitars are loud. The singing aint great, especially when it's me. Sort of Funkadelic meets Living Colour. We improvise a lot and though it's basically dance music there are some pretty complicated changes. As bass player I pretty much get to drive the bus.

• Members

Originally posted by elsongs

I know most of the bands here do rock, but any bands here do soul. funk, R&B, neo-soul, acid-jazz, etc? In other words, your band does not have any loud guitars (and the guitar plays a mostly rhythm role), there's probably a horn instrument (or two, or three or more) and your singer(s) can actually
sing
. I just wanna know if there's anything like that here.

Got that here but it's ska and reggae, not soul, although some of its close. Fun music and we normally get great crowd reaction.

But I would love to do a "show band" gig, ala the Blues Brothers...looks fun.

Archived